Spoons and Spatulas. Your Suggestions...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright KKF, you folks always steer me right no matter how seemingly mundane the request so I'm back again.

Tonight the wife said she wants an offset spatula or two. I know, I know, @Illyria makes the most badass versions around but a bit too steep right now. So glad his latest offerings are all sold. 😁 A couple different sizes might be nice or maybe stiffer and more flexible? But sticking to the smaller pastry type spatulas not grill ones. Handle material isn't an issue.

Along with them, we both want a some new spoons. Despite these being very cheap, she had sentimental value (gift from a lost family member) to these two but is ready to move on:
BigSpoons.jpg

They're like 12" and standard Walmart-ish fare. Silicon or similar bowls are a must for these replacements but I may also buy a different set of bare metal ones too. I see a lot of basting spoons out there but they are all basically straight. These guys have the slight curve at the end for the bowl.

Then I'd like an ~8" perforated serving/plating spoon and maybe another non-perforated one but with a pointier bowl. I have the Gestura and don't really care for it. The handle is too narrow and I don't like the lip around the bowl. Heavy, or not cheapy, is nice too. Do I just jump to JB Prince?

Whatchya got KKF?

Also, thoughts on larger wooden ladles?

Last edited:
Reactions: ian
The CKTG Richmond offset is my favorite. It's just a bent 5" Niskau spackle spatula bent for kitchen use, but it's the perfect size and taper for almost anything you'd use an offset for. I also like the Town Cutler one, but it's small and I have the older style of handle so it's not quite the same as the current offerings. Their handle game is strong though. The JKI Gesshin ones are good too but the synthetic handles aren't my favorite. I still like them more than the Ateco ones (or similar).

I'd also like to throw a shout out to the Global GS-25 turner, which isn't really an offset spatula but is still narrower than most turners. It's a very nice in-between size that's perfect for many small to medium sized items, and some larger ones as well. It's at home flipping over diver scallops as well as turning your grilled cheese. Not my preference for a standard turner, but a great bit of kit for general plating and moving stuff from here to there. Global also makes offset spatulas and they're real pricey. But I bet they're very nice if you're into that kind of thing.

The CKTG Richmond offset is my favorite. It's just a bent 5" Niskau spackle spatula bent for kitchen use, but it's the perfect size and taper for almost anything you'd use an offset for. I also like the Town Cutler one, but it's small and I have the older style of handle so it's not quite the same as the current offerings. Their handle game is strong though. The JKI Gesshin ones are good too but the synthetic handles aren't my favorite. I still like them more than the Ateco ones (or similar).

I knew you'd be along. But... Where's your spoon recs? 😁

Was their site down for a time? I bought from them before on your recommendation but when I went back the site didn't work. Checked a couple times and same thing. Oh well, I'll get back to perusing.
Not that I'm aware of. I haven't been on it for awhile before today.

I knew you'd be along. But... Where's your spoon recs? 😁

Haha... you should check out the Kunz and/or Richmond plating spoons. Really, just throw some Richmond plain and slotted spoons onto your next CKTG order, if you do that sort of thing. But since you like the bend in the spoons you mentioned, Ruhlman spoons would be my recommendation. Unfortunately they're out of stock everywhere and they're made in small infrequent batches. They also lack some refinement compared to the Kunz spoons (which have totally rounded contours and a slight divot to the back of the handle that slightly cradles your thumb). I've been meaning to do a spoon video one of these days. Maybe one of these days.

As for ladles, I have no wooden suggestions but the Rosle stainless steel ladles are fantastic. I have four of them in different sizes.

Personally I really hate all the plastic and silicone crap. It never seems to really last in a way that makes me want to use it for food (god knows what my silicone stuff starts to sweat after 5-10 years). There's also no real need for it if you don't use non-stick pans.
I always gravitate towards cheap stuff... means you can easily buy more of it. But finding good spoons cheap is hard. All my good ones are basically grandma hand-me downs. For spatulas I'm just using cheap 1 euro wood ones... that do just fine in the dishwasher. For a metal one (for example for flipping fish or pancakes) I prefer the really really thin ones, but I have yet to find one that truly ticks all the boxes.

And not that anyone asked but I quite dislike wooden spoons. They suck as a an actual spoon, they're generally inferior in anything to basic wooden spatulas, and they won't do as well in the dishwasher,

Personally I really hate all the plastic and silicone crap. It never seems to really last in a way that makes me want to use it for food (god knows what my silicone stuff starts to sweat after 5-10 years). There's also no real need for it if you don't use non-stick pans.
I always gravitate towards cheap stuff... means you can easily buy more of it. But finding good spoons cheap is hard. All my good ones are basically grandma hand-me downs. For spatulas I'm just using cheap 1 euro wood ones... that do just fine in the dishwasher. For a metal one (for example for flipping fish or pancakes) I prefer the really really thin ones, but I have yet to find one that truly ticks all the boxes.

And not that anyone asked but I quite dislike wooden spoons. They suck as a an actual spoon, they're generally inferior in anything to basic wooden spatulas, and they won't do as well in the dishwasher,

You'll get no argument from me on wooden "spoons".

FWIW if you insist on silicone stuff, the Di Oro stuff that won the ATK test is actually good. Has just the right flexibility, and the one-piece construction is far more durable than setups where the silicone and handle are separate parts.
The spoonulas are also not too shabby, but just like with wooden spoons they're not really a replacement for a proper spoon.

The global fish spatula is one of my favorite kitchen tools. The steel is hard enough that you can use it for about anything. I actually pulled a turkey off the smoker with it last week. I think I’ve used it actually for fish maybe twice.

Get a supoon from made in . It is a spoon and a spatula, I have three and use them constantly . Hands down the greatest kitchen spoon ever

I have Wusthof, All Clad, and Henckels. Most bought off eBay.

Back