TF Wabi-Sabi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
choil shot really only shows you the thickness at the heel itself - people tend to not spend enough time doing the heel or the tip usually when thinning - so I would really base it on actual cutting dense stuff like carrots or things that would tend to wedge knives.

just for reference here is my 240 denka stock ootb - probably only sharpened it 4 times micro bevel method so far since i've gotten it about 4 yrs ago in person at the shop. I don't really use gyutos these days but it's my go to over any other same length or longer gyuto I have.

QaAajXEl.jpg

I am following this thread closely, all the more so because I have not messed with any of my TF knives yet, and I like seeing into the future.

What I can contribute is my ultimate wedging test, which is also a food release test: raw turnips.

Why would you cut, let alone buy, raw turnips? Because a really good Scotch Broth soup cannot be had without them.

Was it a belt grinder you've been using with the 60 grit, @big_adventure?
Some photos...

Choil before then after:

View attachment 118387 View attachment 118388

Spine eased...

View attachment 118389

Side view, pre-work...

View attachment 118392

And the thinned and de-ku'ed final product...

View attachment 118391

I have to say, rounding spines is kind of a pain to do by hand, but is so utterly trivial on a belt. Was kinda surprised by the difference first time I tried.

I am following this thread closely, all the more so because I have not messed with any of my TF knives yet, and I like seeing into the future.

What I can contribute is my ultimate wedging test, which is also a food release test: raw turnips.

Why would you cut, let alone buy, raw turnips? Because a really good Scotch Broth soup cannot be had without them.

I find the ultimate wedge test is cutting lotus roots. Even slicing it can be a chore for 99% of all knives, let along halving or chunk cutting them.. however they are extremely good for hotpots as the fibrous nature of it helps cling on to soup broth and dipping sauce :).

I find the ultimate wedge test is cutting lotus roots. Even slicing it can be a chore for 99% of all knives, let along halving or chunk cutting them.. however they are extremely good for hotpots as the fibrous nature of it helps cling on to soup broth and dipping sauce :).

All of this is true. I will suppress my jealousy about how you seem to have an easy time finding fresh lotus root, which I love, and just say this by way of trying to win this small competition: turnips are taller than lotus roots.

All of this is true. I will suppress my jealousy about how you seem to have an easy time finding fresh lotus root, which I love, and just say this by way of trying to win this small competition: turnips are taller than lotus roots.

it's pretty easy to get here in canada since we have a sizable chinese population - definitely not the case in other cities. and yes, turnips def could be taller and larger :D

Original (unthinned) choil shots from three Denka's posted in this thread.
Not trying to stir the pot or anything, just thought it was intersting to see:
1615856291570.png

In all honesty, that looks like a bad thinning job. The shoulders have been taken back a bit but overall there’s only a small difference behind the edge. And the ku. Let’s not get into that. This is how you add more wabi sabi to a TF. ;)

Original (unthinned) choil shots from three Denka's posted in this thread.
Not trying to stir the pot or anything, just thought it was intersting to see:
View attachment 118490

TF grind variations definitely all over the place but they are also extra accommodating when you reach out via email to pick or make you one that fits the grind you are looking for specifically - just be reasonable and not ask for caliper measurements every few mm down the geometry height wise and length wise.

TF are **** and all that...

Not saying I think so, but balance is of penultimate importance in a world without it.

What happened to the balance in this thread? We need some TF haters! I agree with Bruce, this sort of one-sided talk will push the price up.

I was just chatting with @inzite (Ricky) who’s no longer on KKF. He said to me that people who can’t take their knives to stones properly shouldn’t buy TFs. Because they aren’t doing it justice. I thought it was so true that I decided to share it here.
And the truth is, TFs are “functionally perfectly fine” and can be left the way they are. Because they are intrinsically wicked cutters.

Back