The one that got away

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kato 210mm gyuto when it was $380. I had it my hands and though, kinda small, I will wait for 240mm - silly me.

Definitely the Kato Westerns when they were easy to get. Also, choosing a KS3124 over the Masamoto Honyaki when they were available at JCK. A big non-regret was buying a Hiromoto Honyaki while that was possible. Love that thing. Haven't seen many on BST.

Hm -

- This one watanabe nakiri with a really pretty bamboo engraving
- This one 300mm tekeda with a really cool green handle (maybe a stefan handle?)
- This one mario with a walnut handle
- Not getting a rader asai collab 270
- Not getting a 270 billipp when I had a chance
- Not getting a 270 kato when I had a chance
- A few xerses and such here and there
- A few kono fuji and ginsan 270s ages ago
- Not buying any shigs at JWW when kasumi 270s were $400 and that was way too much knife money for me
- Not getting a backup keijiro doi yanagi

38cm blade x 1kg

I seriously regret undervaluing my auction bid and now don't have "a knife that fills you with fear and possessiveness just by displaying it!" as promised by the description.

i-img1200x900-1675003879v2nlah23.jpg

38cm blade x 1kg

I seriously regret undervaluing my auction bid and now don't have "a knife that fills you with fear and possessiveness just by displaying it!" as promised by the description.

View attachment 301841
I am horrified and curious, outside of beheading treasonous dolphins and dragging behind you on foggy nights to scare locals in a pyramid head cosplay, what is that thing intended for

38cm blade x 1kg

View attachment 301841

Ah yes. That time TF decided to put all of his wabi sabi powers into one blade. It took that much blade to harness it all.

:)

250 x 70mm new old stock swordsmith gyuto sold for $350. Ground thinnnn at the edge too

Masamoto KS forged iron clad carbon 300mm gyuto for $120, new old stock

Woodworking chiselsmith kamisori new old stock for $70

Unshu yukimitsu 270mm gyuto for $150

Ashi honyaki 240mm gyuto lightly used for $800
Woodworking chiselsmith kamisori new old stock for $70
😢

38cm blade x 1kg

View attachment 301841
Why on earth does it have a finger notch? Is this a nakiri for an ancient tribe of now extinct Samurai giants? Asking for a friend.

The one that bugs me most is not a kitchen knife, but an Iwasaki kiridashi being sold on BST at an extremely good price. Iwasaki makes my favorite razors on the planet. I have (clears throat) several of them, and I love everything about them. I even love buying "used up" ones and using files and sandpaper to shape them and give them a second life. I am not really a collector, but if I were going to collect anything, just for the joy of having it and being able to handle and look at it any time I wanted, it would be something made by Iwasaki.

I go through cheap, miserly phases, which is probably a good thing for my solvency. I was in one when this Iwasaki kiridashi came up for sale, for a mind-bendingly good price.

You're not a collector, I told myself.
You don't need a kiridashi, I told myself.
If you spend the money, you will regret it, I told myself.

So I didn't spend the money. And boy do I regret it.

Why on earth does it have a finger notch? Is this a nakiri for an ancient tribe of now extinct Samurai giants? Asking for a friend.
Looks like a whole-hand notch to me.

I wouldn't have bought it, but I would love to have it, learn how to use it, and pull it out when preparing Chinese food for guests. Of course I would act as though this was all completely normal, and feign bewilderment at any surprised reactions. "Oh, have you never had Chinese food before?"

Was a sweet knife. 😢
It is funny that they were not that popular when easily available. I had two, one was too close to the Tsourkan I had at the time, so I tried to sell it unused for a month or so and no one wanted it. Then they became a hot commodity for a short time once there were no more to be had. Definitely good knives and especially for the price they were selling for at the time. It is funny how some knives are not that popular until they become scarce.

I spent a lifetime using blunt Wusthof Classics. What might have been....and for relatively few roubles.

That Kamon on BST a year ago with the orange handle. I think they named a constellation after that knife.

If I would have bought it, I could have stopped. Instead, that mistake cost me 20 knifes and 20 stones.
Are you sure it would have worked out that way? The Kamon that I didn't let get away just led to deeper addiction and investing enough funds for a down payment on a house...

That Kamon on BST a year ago with the orange handle. I think they named a constellation after that knife.

If I would have bought it, I could have stopped. Instead, that mistake cost me 20 knifes and 20 stones.

That’s the lies we tell ourselves. If you had gotten the Kamon you’d now be in the hole by 21 knives and 20 stones.

Back