The Pairing Knife...?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been making paring knives for awhile now and while I don’t use them myself a lot of women I know do. I ended up giving several away as gifts and so far people seem to really enjoy them. Here are a couple of examples of what I’ve made, although I’ve done many more versions so far.

Attachments

• D9CDAAE7-FC51-4D6E-B4B8-A5881AA10335.jpeg
    D9CDAAE7-FC51-4D6E-B4B8-A5881AA10335.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Ive been trying to find these Sabtier Pairing knives, but cant seem to find them. They have a nice profile and handle shape for my tastes but for whatever reason cannot locate them online.

1663776929915.png

1663776995571.png

I have four knives in the paring range--all different--and as many utility knife in the paring range or slightly larger. I have one that sits next to my computer that I use several times a day that I regard as a mini chef knife, one for the most detailed work, and a serrated "beater." I have a 3" fish fillet knife, a cheese knife, and a 6" ultimate utility knife that I can use on anything.

Several of them were quite expensive--in the range of a decent chef knife or gyuto.

I use mine every day at work (assisted living kitchen.) In fact it's one of only two I break out every single day. Of course depending on the tasks at hand other knives come out as well but the parer is used everyday.

Although I have enough of them that there is a potential for them to couple up and start pairing, until they actually do so I shall refer to these knives as paring knives... ;)

Like most here my usage of them is limited; for peeling I usually opt for a speed peeler, and most other things work just as well with a gyuto, so I usually don't bother to grab one because the time saved by using a more optimal knife is negated by the time spent cleaning another knife. There's also a bit of a chicken & egg problem going on; I don't use them much, partially because I don't have one that I absolutely love using, and because I don't use them much I'm unwilling to really invest in them...

What I do use them for:
-coring strawberries
-trimming potatoes (pits and ugly spots; usually I prefer to keep as much of the peel as I can)
-peeling when I actually care about oxidation (most of my speed peelers don't exactly have a finely finished edge, so there's more bruising of the product)

Contrary to most I don't really use them for opening packages or cutting butter; I have a few ultracheap 4-for-1 euro ones for that which I don't mind tossing in the sink from 3 meters away and throwing in the dishwasher...

I've tried a whole bunch... all having different pros and cons but not a single one that's 'perfect' so far.
My observations - preferences so far:
-I vastly prefer them to be on the shorter end of the scale; <10 cm. That basically takes almost all Japanese petties off the table.
-I vastly prefer low blade height since it makes the knives more nimble and makes coring / taking out pits in a rotating fashion far easier. This takes the majority of Japanese paring knives off the table as well.
-I prefer an exposed heel for sharpening
-I prefer low weight; I don't see any real benefit to having a more weighty paring knife
-Similarly I prefer really thin laserish blades; less resistance and the blades are too small to gain any benefit from fancy geometries or stiffer blades.
-I prefer a mittelspitz / office knife / spear point kind of blade shape... Sheepsfoot is alright for peeling but sucks for paring / trimming / coring. I haven't the faintest clue how I'd sharpen the scythe shaped ones, so I have stayed away from those.
-A lot of the paring knives, especially those trying to be fancier, are overbuilt, making them too thick, stiff, cumbersome, etc. Better to keep it thin light and simple instead.
-Slight preference for a good quality (semi-stainless) if you care about versatility; they are often used on fruits and often on-and-off while prepping.
-Virtually all handles of paring knives I've tried so far are too small for me and it's my main gripe about them.

My most liked one is a cheap Herder mittelspitz; arguably what I want is something like that, but with a handle twice as big.

And I still think it would be awesome to sort of try and go on a forum quest for 'the perfect paring knife' and turn it into an affordable massdrop! It's really a missed opportunity; good paring knives that are actually enjoyable to use are truly hard to find!

I have been making paring knives for awhile now and while I don’t use them myself a lot of women I know do. I ended up giving several away as gifts and so far people seem to really enjoy them. Here are a couple of examples of what I’ve made, although I’ve done many more versions so far.
Thought I would post a couple more of the paring knives that I’ve made. Out of the ones that I’ve made so far I like 3.5” on the left that I previously posted. It’s thinner, has a straighter edge and I made it on a 10” wheel so it’s concave day which I’ve never seen before. I also like the tip for coring apples. It’s my wife’s favorite as well and she uses them daily.

Attachments

• 990A2152-5146-4736-8F8C-CE37F7D3E580.jpeg
    990A2152-5146-4736-8F8C-CE37F7D3E580.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • E83B08A1-6857-478F-88D5-6DF2139656E0.jpeg
    E83B08A1-6857-478F-88D5-6DF2139656E0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Town Cutler in AEB-L - Got it on super sale a while back. Blade stock too thick for a tiny knife of this size, but it has the best handle in the business. Makes me want to hold it in a hundred different ways. Well, maybe more like 5. But more than other knives. Only used for in-hand work... feel stupid on the board.

Wusthof Grand Prix - Got it from my parents a million years ago. Thin enough, but could be thinner. Has some flex to it. Maybe the best thing I have for peeling an apple in one long strip, which kind of saddens me since I thought that "nice" paring knives would cut better.

Saji dammy R2 - Also thickish... no flex at all in this one. Super rigid. Sweet handle. I only got it because it sat here on BST for like 2 months and keep getting discounted. But now that it's here, I use it for lots of things, both on and off the board.

Paraplui A Le'Epreuve Perfect Parer - Maybe my favorite paring knife overall in terms of performance and general utility. Slightly longer than a "standard" parer, so you can use it on a board if you want to, but it's still thin and nimble. Super soft steel. Nice pakka handle. Not a bad deal for like $60.

Gesshin skinny bois - The pointiest knives in my collection. Huge asymmetrical bevels. Plastic handles. Fun to use with good steel... I just hate the handle material. And paring knives are the one place where you're usually grabbing the knife by the handle, so that matters. Still... fun and inexpensive.

Misono UX10 120mm - Leaving paring knife territory and heading toward true petty. Great shape and look.... I do not enjoy sharpening it. This one and the Saji stay out in my block and see the most use out of all of these, followed shortly by the Perfect Parer (which would also live in the block if it had the space).

5BC47992-722C-4813-90F6-9077533ECA93.jpeg

Last edited:
Town Cutler in AEB-L - Got it on super sale a while back. Blade stock too thick for a tiny knife of this size, but it has the best handle in the business. Makes me want to hold it in a hundred different ways. Well, maybe more like 5. But more than other knives. Only used for in-hand work... feel stupid on the board.

Wusthof Grand Prix - Got it from my parents a million years ago. Thin enough, but could be thinner. Has some flex to it. Maybe the best thing I have for peeling an apple in one long strip, which kind of saddens me since I thought that "nice" paring knives would cut better.

Saji dammy R2 - Also thickish... no flex at all in this one. Super rigid. Sweet handle. I only got it because it sat here on BST for like 2 months and keep getting discounted. But now that it's here, I use it for lots of things, both on and off the board.

Gesshin skinny bois - The pointiest knives in my collection. Huge asymmetrical bevels. Plastic handles. Fun to use with good steel... I just hate the handle material. And paring knives are the one place where you're usually grabbing the knife by the handle, so that matters. Still... fun and inexpensive.

Paraplui A Le'Epreuve Perfect Parer - Maybe my favorite paring knife overall in terms of performance and general utility. Slightly longer than a "standard" parer, so you can use it on a board if you want to, but it's still thin and nimble. Super soft steel. Nice pakka handle. Not a bad deal for like $60.

Misono UX10 120mm - Leaving paring knife territory and heading toward true petty. Great shape and look.... I do not enjoy sharpening it. This one and the Saji stay out in my block and see the most use out of all of these, followed shortly by the Perfect Parer (which would also live in the block if it had the space).

7D1DF051-F2BE-463E-9105-59617EE535D9.jpeg

A few more things that came to mind to my paring knife observations:
-I almost never use them on the board, and as such I don't really see any point in having curve / belly to the blade (like you see with a lot of small paring knives that are just extremely downsized gyutos / chef knives). Similarly, too much blade height just gets in the way IMO.
-Because I do like a bit of a heel to simplify sharpening, the best option is something somewhat triangle-ish, like you see with some of the older French models. Or something... Tojiro DP paring knife with a bit of a K-tip, or something that has a hint of honesuki profile.
-Symmetrical handles are a sin; I have one Herder with a perfect square handle and it's the one knife I've cut myself the most with by far; it results in handling it upside down and then putting a finger on the edge instead of the spine.

I just started using a pairing knife in hand for cutting my daily banana. I was using a butter knife. And i like them for cutting cauliflower over a large knife, big Im probably cutting the cauliflower inefficiently anyway. The pairing knife gets in the nooks and crannies better.
A4438A04-43F2-426A-84F5-DB126E01709F.jpeg

58908E1B-3F8A-4FF6-B9CE-DB94F226957E.jpeg

97451F7C-3BBA-4A6D-BDA2-B13B549B071C.jpeg

How do you order from him? I really like those paring knives!
Send him an email. [email protected] He was very responsive with me.

Its really nice. Much heavier than I expected with the Koa handle at 90g, but feels very sturdy in hand. Not the thinnest behind the edge at 0.5mm, but not really a big consideration for what I use a paring for. The XHP steel took a really great edge and I expect it will last a very long time.

Latest posts

Back