touching up and deburring edge trailing vs leading

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One can see Ryky leading people into this but in my opinion he does more harm than good. He is perpetuating what I consider bad habits and low standards on the most susceptible people. Ya know, he knows chefs who haven't even sharpened their Wusthof in decades and only sushi chefs need to worry about flattening their stones and hey, if that electric pull-through works for you, then that's great!

And hey, while you're here on my channel, check out my store and these sweet thick-ass Chinese knives I hawk at every turn. Puuuuurrrrrtttttyyyyyy.

For as many years as Ryky has been popular I have seen threads, just like this one here, all over the internet of people who've been watching his videos and are flustered that they aren't achieving the results they are after. And the first thing you have to do, is break down their belief that that guy is an expert. Sure, he says some accurate things cuz it's kinda hard not to once in a while but in my opinion he says a lot of inaccurate things as well.

If people like him, fine, but don't expect me to be among them.

All just my opinion of course.

Last edited:
FWIW, he's definitely one of the people I stumbled across on the YouTubez when I was looking to advance my sharpening game. If you have literally no idea what you are doing at all, he's relatively easy to understand and it takes him 6 hours to explain something that a more-knowledgeable person would explain in 30 seconds. That's annoying to basically everyone frequenting this board, but it's... call it comforting... for people who don't know much.

Once you start learning, if you care to do so, you realize that he really, truly doesn't know what he's doing. My paragliding instructor mentioned "PPH" takeoffs, where the takeoff works perfectly in spite of errors, or lack of skill. PPH being "purement par hasard" in French, which translates to "purely by chance." Ryky gets some results "PPH" it seems. When he starts talking products, he doesn't... er... see things like I do (and like most of us, here, do)? Yeah, let's put it that way. He doesn't really know what makes a good knife or a bad one, based on my criteria, because, by his own admission, he's basically useless in the kitchen. His technique is significantly worse than my kids' techniques. If you never use a knife, yeah, you probably won't understand why thinning is important, why knowing how to fix a tip is useful, and you probably won't be able to get consistent results along the the entire blade. If the end-all, be-all of your testing methodology is "does it drag-cut newspaper"... well, you all understand.

OTOH, we do live in a caveat emptor society. People can use a bit that Ryky shows to start down a sharpening path, and it is on them to know when they have squeezed every last drop of useful information out of the source.

FWIW, he's definitely one of the people I stumbled across on the YouTubez when I was looking to advance my sharpening game. If you have literally no idea what you are doing at all, he's relatively easy to understand and it takes him 6 hours to explain something that a more-knowledgeable person would explain in 30 seconds. That's annoying to basically everyone frequenting this board, but it's... call it comforting... for people who don't know much.

Once you start learning, if you care to do so, you realize that he really, truly doesn't know what he's doing. My paragliding instructor mentioned "PPH" takeoffs, where the takeoff works perfectly in spite of errors, or lack of skill. PPH being "purement par hasard" in French, which translates to "purely by chance." Ryky gets some results "PPH" it seems. When he starts talking products, he doesn't... er... see things like I do (and like most of us, here, do)? Yeah, let's put it that way. He doesn't really know what makes a good knife or a bad one, based on my criteria, because, by his own admission, he's basically useless in the kitchen. His technique is significantly worse than my kids' techniques. If you never use a knife, yeah, you probably won't understand why thinning is important, why knowing how to fix a tip is useful, and you probably won't be able to get consistent results along the the entire blade. If the end-all, be-all of your testing methodology is "does it drag-cut newspaper"... well, you all understand.

OTOH, we do live in a caveat emptor society. People can use a bit that Ryky shows to start down a sharpening path, and it is on them to know when they have squeezed every last drop of useful information out of the source.

Amen

Makes sense, just buy a new one once the old one doesn't cut well. Could also work in a sequel, "Why you probably will never need to sharpen your knives"

I prefer to finish or touch up edge leading, works better for me in general. Sometimes, I'll do a couple edge trailing swipes, just depends, but most of the time it is edge leading if I finish or touch up on a stone. Like others have said people get excellent or crappy results using both, so try both and see what works for you. Many ways to get there, but you need to practice a lot, no way around it. Then when you think you are good, you realize you are not and it becomes worse before it becomes better again if you don't give up 🤷‍♂️

hahaha
"why you should never worry about thinning your knifes"

can you translate for me what does he mean by "

"

So, Ryky in one of his many "here's how I prove that I'm really not good with knives" moments, mentions that a knife that is thick behind the edge would be better for hard or dense produce.

Thing is, that's the absolute opposite, and, like @M1k3 says, no chef who has spent more than a week or two at their job would ever think that. It's just absolutely contrary.

I don't think Ricky Ticky pretends to be a chef.

He pretends to be a knife sharpener. He pretends to be a stone expert. He pretends to be a knife retailer. But chef? Not this week - he's got to watch a couple videos first.

Nah, as I mentioned above, one thing I'd give him credit for owning up to directly in one of the random videos I saw him in was that he's not even a decent cook. Which begs questions about why one wants to pass themselves off as knowledgeable about kitchen knives, when one can neither make them nor use them, but that's a question for him, not me.

Nah, as I mentioned above, one thing I'd give him credit for owning up to directly in one of the random videos I saw him in was that he's not even a decent cook. Which begs questions about why one wants to pass themselves off as knowledgeable about kitchen knives, when one can neither make them nor use them, but that's a question for him, not me.

It’s kinda weird to be obsessed about kitchen knives when you don’t actually like to cook. But I guess if you solely approach them as art to be admired it kinda makes sense.

But then why spend all that time sharpening knives that don’t get used?

It’s kinda weird to be obsessed about kitchen knives when you don’t actually like to cook. But I guess if you solely approach them as art to be admired it kinda makes sense.

But then why spend all that time sharpening knives that don’t get used?

THAT for me is the weird bit. To the guy's credit, he doesn't take a sharp knife, rub it around, and act amazed or proud that it's still sharp. He dulls knives on bricks or whatever then sharpens them.

Its just... why? I get that it's his business. But what brought him into that? I'd ask, but I wouldn't want to have to watch an hour and a half unboxing video to get to the part where he addresses the question.

Didn't someone above write that he started as a spokesman for cutlery and more or some such. I think as he became popular talking about knives he had to start sharpening to keep his audience's interest. What else is there to do with knives, you cut then sharpen then cut... Since he mostly cuts paper, I can see why he has misconceptions about knives, sharpening and the rest. Cutting paper and to some degree rope is one of the reasons we have so many badly designed knives in the outdoor and folder space. All my opinions of course, but use dictates design and if all you do is cut paper you get what you ask for. Same with cars and 0-60 times.

Last edited:
I used to like edge trailing, but these days I try leading + trailing together, I found quite nice for me when I need to pull+push cut all day, not sure am I right or not, I saw a video from YouTube before, said the technique like this good for push+pull motion. forgot where's the video from though.

"Highlights

• An ethnographic account states an Inuit man made a knife from his own frozen feces.
• We experimentally tested knives manufactured from frozen human feces.
• Knives manufactured from frozen human feces do not work."

Didn't someone above write that he started as a spokesman for cutlery and more or some such. I think as he became popular talking about knives he had to start sharpening to keep his audience's interest. What else is there to do with knives, you cut then sharpen then cut... Since he mostly cuts paper, I can see why he has misconceptions about knives, sharpening and the rest. Cutting paper and to some degree rope is one of the reasons we have so many badly designed knives in the outdoor and folder space. All my opinions of course, but use dictates design and if all you do is cut paper you get what you ask for. Same with cars and 0-60 times.

200.gif

also re subscriber counts having some intuitive understanding of how to game the youtube algorithm is a completely unrelated skill to your subject matter. in fact in my own industry probably the most popular youtuber had to take a little vacation because he was "borrowing" work from other people because he couldnt grok even the basics of ML.

youtube has a tendency to promote likeable idiots because they appeal to large audiences. I once watched a mashed potato recipe by an extremely, EXTREMELY popular youtuber who tries to put a veil of science over everything and then most of the way in the video he realizes that he didnt, you know, think very much about the type of potato in the dish he was trying to recreate and that was contributing to his failure.

that's actually the best example of being a dumbass I think I've ever seen. likeable guy, entertaining video. kind of an idiot. bazillion views.

Since cutting paper seems like a suboptimal test for the sharpness of kitchen knives, what do you guys recommend to test the sharpness?

Since cutting paper seems like a suboptimal test for the sharpness of kitchen knives, what do you guys recommend to test the sharpness?

The best knife tests are on the actual stuff you will be using the knife for. Try some tomatoes, eggplants, bell peppers. See how it does through butternut squash. Maybe julienne some carrots. See how it does slicing a beef or pork roast. Chiffonade some basil. Etc.

Paper products are pretty ok for testing refinement of the apex, and whether it’s properly deburred. I like paper towel much better than copy paper, though. As long as you’re not over refining the edge (e.g. as long as you’re finishing on an appropriate grit stone and not stropping the bejesus out of it, or as long as you check for over refinement with the 3 finger test or something), and as long as the knife’s properly thin behind the edge, paper towel does a good job of letting you know how a knife will do in the kitchen. Definitely food is the ultimate test, but it’s not as convenient or practical sometimes. It’s important pay attention to HOW the knife cuts the paper towel, though, not just whether it does.

Back