Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In what way do you mean this?
On a forum, dedicated to knife knowledge, where people of all kinds of levels are expected to visit ... the vast majority being noobs, it's counterproductive "not liking engaging with noobs".
I would also argue that you're not the only one and that's why the knife world has a relatively steep learning curve, or at least the 'new user experience' is pretty rough. That's tough to see being sr in a hobby (any hobby, please don't take this personally, it's very hard to "put yourself in new shoes". I and probably most people are guilty of this, here or in other hobbies). Though the reddit starting guide has vastly improved since I looked at it first, but still missing things, so people keep asking the same questions and arguing about the same things.

I’m 35 - colorful handles are lame. They are the affliction t shirts of the knife world.

fight me bro!
g.jpg

On a forum, dedicated to knife knowledge, where people of all kinds of levels are expected to visit ... the vast majority being noobs, it's counterproductive "not liking engaging with noobs".
I would also argue that you're not the only one and that's why the knife world has a relatively steep learning curve, or at least the 'new user experience' is pretty rough. That's tough to see being sr in a hobby (any hobby, please don't take this personally, it's very hard to "put yourself in new shoes". I and probably most people are guilty of this, here or in other hobbies). Though the reddit starting guide has vastly improved since I looked at it first, but still missing things, so people keep asking the same questions and arguing about the same things.
It's not counterproductive to not like engaging with new people. That implies that it is actively against achieving a desired outcome. It doesn't; it's non-participation. That would also imply that the main purpose of this forum is to educate new people. It's not; it's for knife enthusiasts to discuss a variety of topics. There is no rule, explicit or otherwise, that states that you must share what knowledge you have with people you don't like interacting with.

Ironically, I like new members as it brings new minds into the hobby and new people to share the joy of the hobby. I agree with all you wrote too.

My only issue, and this goes in real life (face-to-face) interactions as well, is if you are new (lets say less than a year), don't be a know-it-all, smarky, wiseazz, judgmental, d-bag. Just like in real life, sit back and observe your surroundings and come across easy going. I know with Covid19 going on it brought a lot of new members...great! A few of them need to check themselves, and the interactions they decide to engage in; some just aren't worth getting into. If you have confrontational opinions, best keep them to yourselves until you get more established on this forum.

A few more!
- conversations by passionate people on the internet rarely actually change opinions
- having so many Kickstarter knives is a great thing .. even though most are kinda meh, it means people are trying to improve the field.
- Chinese Alibaba knives in 20 years will be fine knives and will easily rival anything within 2x price range made elsewhere.

Your knife doesn't suck, it is your technique. You either don't know how to use it or you don't know how to maintain it.

B**chy stringer is a whole new thing! It feels totally normal to read Barclid cr*pping on things, but I can't take it from you, even though that's the whole point of this thread. ;) I think this speaks to how measured and informative your posts always are.

Ironically, I like new members as it brings new minds into the hobby and new people to share the joy of the hobby. I agree with all you wrote too.

My only issue, and this goes in real life (face-to-face) interactions as well, is if you are new (lets say less than a year), don't be a know-it-all, smarky, wiseazz, judgmental, d-bag. Just like in real life, sit back and observe your surroundings and come across easy going. I know with Covid19 going on it brought a lot of new members...great! A few of them need to check themselves, and the interactions they decide to engage in; some just aren't worth getting into. If you have confrontational opinions, best keep them to yourselves until you get more established on this forum.

I hear this a lot from people nowadays and in many specific cases I agree. Seems like everyone needs to go through a phase of trying to change the BST rules before eventually realizing that they're quite good and reasonable, and that the moderators are very wise. But hey, it's a rite of passage.

I do hear a lot of more establish members use a sort of patronizing tone to dismiss legitimate concerns that new members have, though. Sometimes, new members have a different take on something because of different life or political views, not because of inexperience. For instance, some of the recent confrontations over PC language have been over the top, but many of them stem from (sometimes new) members wanting this forum to be more accepting of different kinds of people, and that's just fine in my book. It's possible to preserve the quality and value of the forum while trying to alienate certain groups of people less. I see many more women posting "New Member" posts than I do contributing in the long term, and there may be a reason for that.

I hear this a lot from people nowadays and in many specific cases I agree. Seems like everyone needs to go through a phase of trying to change the BST rules before eventually realizing that they're quite good and reasonable, and that the moderators are very wise. But hey, it's a rite of passage.

I do hear a lot of more establish members use a sort of patronizing tone to dismiss legitimate concerns that new members have, though. Sometimes, new members have a different take on something because of different life or political views, not because of inexperience. For instance, some of the recent confrontations over PC language have been over the top, but many of them stem from (sometimes new) members wanting this forum to be more accepting of different kinds of people, and that's just fine in my book. It's possible to preserve the quality and value of the forum while trying to alienate certain groups of people less. I see many more women posting "New Member" posts than I do contributing in the long term, and there may be a reason for that.
I agree with all you wrote and still stand by what I wrote. We are all flawed humans and always will be. Someone will always be offended, take my stance for example, so you can never make everyone happy. This forum started for hobbiest and love for kitchen knives. The founder, Dave,, is a business owner for sharpening knives. Jim helped him start it. We were all over at knifeforums.com/In The Kitchen before this place. Over the years its grown to be global, and quite a few in the profession of using kitchen knives. I think this is a good thing. Nothing posted on this site is bad...trust me I'm on gun forums and this place is lighthearted compared to that. If you have a problem that may be confrontational, take it to a private conversation, inform a mod if you are not comfortable, be noncomfrontational if you make it public, or be quiet. Same as real life. Not sure why this isn't obvious other than people can hide behind a screen name on the internet.

Most new members commit a few cardinal sins myself included.
  1. talking out of their ass about how their knife performs before they’ve used many or cook in bulk.
  2. assuming that cooking a few big meals at home somehow simulates prep experience and a professional kitchen.
  3. Disagreeing with other peoples experience instead of simply asking a question and trying something out or reading more on the topic after being directed.
All this said new members have a right to ask stupid questions that’s what makes them beginners.
1594850106054.png

4. Putting a colorful handle on a perfectly good.knife.

B**chy stringer is a whole new thing! It feels totally normal to read Barclid cr*pping on things, but I can't take it from you, even though that's the whole point of this thread. ;) I think this speaks to how measured and informative your posts always are.

I couldn't resist. I do try and restrain my bitchiness as a general rule but I have been teaching speech and debate camp to high schoolers over zoom for the last few weeks along with taking a bunch of classes. I'm getting too tired to be nice.

So thanks to whomever started this wonderful thread. I have really enjoyed it thus far. Hopefully we can have fun without hurting anyone's feelings too much.

I couldn't resist. I do try and restrain my bitchiness as a general rule but I have been teaching speech and debate camp to high schoolers over zoom for the last few weeks along with taking a bunch of classes. I'm getting too tired to be nice.

So thanks to whomever started this wonderful thread. I have really enjoyed it thus far. Hopefully we can have fun without hurting anyone's feelings too much.
I like bitchy stringer, makes you more real, not just a sharpening and cutting machine

Bitchy... you haven’t lived in masshole land long enough. I considered his response tame.

I agree with all you wrote and still stand by what I wrote. We are all flawed humans and always will be. Someone will always be offended, take my stance for example, so you can never make everyone happy. This forum started for hobbiest and love for kitchen knives. The founder, Dave,, is a business owner for sharpening knives. Jim helped him start it. We were all over at knifeforums.com/In The Kitchen before this place. Over the years its grown to be global, and quite a few in the profession of using kitchen knives. I think this is a good thing. Nothing posted on this site is bad...trust me I'm on gun forums and this place is lighthearted compared to that. If you have a problem that may be confrontational, take it to a private conversation, inform a mod if you are not comfortable, be noncomfrontational if you make it public, or be quiet. Same as real life. Not sure why this isn't obvious other than people can hide behind a screen name on the internet.

All very true, except that I think it can be appropriate and more effective to reply in a thread vs a pm, as long as you do it respectfully. It’s true that with some recent examples, the objection was not raised in a respectful way, which was unfortunate, counterproductive and rude. But if you reply in the thread, you indicate to others that may also feel uncomfortable with the way things are that they’re not alone, and you can start to affect the general culture of the place. Sending a PM only tells that one person (out of 22k or whatever) that you’d rather they do something different next time.

When replying, it's nice to Imagine the person you're responding to is sitting in front of you. When you receive a comment, try to assume the other person is trying to doing so.

Yes.

A little rocker in the edge of a real Chinese cleaver is a good thing.
Not just a good thing, but necessary too. Too flat a cleaver and too high a counter is why people develop that nerve shake. Ergonomics are unpopular I guess...

All very true, except that I think it can be appropriate and more effective to reply in a thread vs a pm, as long as you do it respectfully. It’s true that with some recent examples, the objection was not raised in a respectful way, which was unfortunate, counterproductive and rude. But if you reply in the thread, you indicate to others that may also feel uncomfortable with the way things are that they’re not alone, and you can start to affect the general culture of the place. Sending a PM only tells that one person (out of 22k or whatever) that you’d rather they do something different next time.

Yes.
It tells the one person who committed the offense, which is the intent. Good post.

It tells the one person who committed the offense, which is the intent. Good post.

Yea, I guess I just think that if offenses are public and objections are private, you have an asymmetry that indicates to the reader of the forum that the offenses aren’t offensive to anyone. But what do I know, I’m just an idiot who spends all his time thinking about g****mn kitchen knives. 🤷🤪

Back