Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I basically ignored this entire season until tuning in midway through the 3rd quarter. "Huh, this is a pretty good super bowl... wow record punt return... okay, two minute drill WAIT WHAT THE FK?... dammit why did I turn this stupid sport on again?"

Season omelette eggs with Trader Joe's 21 spice & blk ground pepper before goes in pan. No salt. Little dash of fish sauce sounds good going to try it.

Eagles finally got 8 point score to tie it late in 4th after Chief domination in second half.

Only to have to watch Chiefs milk the clock & kick a field goal to win the game.

Jalen Hurts had couple perfect placed passes go through receivers hands.

NFL Playoffs were good, but I had literally no interest in watching the Super Bowl, so skipped it and got ramen from a new Michelin rated joint instead.

My main sport to watch is soccer. But this year I boycotted watching the entire World Cup because it was in Qatar. No regrets.

Last edited:
lol. i sometimes enjoy playing sports with friends (but am not good at most of them)

watching them on tv.. nah.. also not into gambling on them. not trying to be too judgey.. football squares or whatever is one thing, but i've seen it descend pretty fast into degeneracy. got better things to do.

sports game comes on = my cue to leave 😂

Most of those people in this new Gordon Ramsay show are terrible. Half the stuff that ended up in the “basement” were easy winners. Also the scallops thing had to be a plant given Ramsay’s rants on scallops from Kitchen Nightmares years ago.

Wagyu just looks like a whole cow made out of foie gras. Neither are right.

I'll take some good ole fashioned Angus thanks.

:)
America has great steaks.

We had greater steaks before the 80's when the governments anti-fat campaign came into full swing.

There were even better before king corn took over the feed market.

I agree that Wagyu can be too rich sometimes, but too lean isn't good either. I want a nice medium, but American Style Wagyu/Kobe doesn't even come close.

I like our Texas steaks. I think Wagyu has too much fat for me. If I want fat I will buy a ribeye.
I don't think they're in the same genre at all. A sushi-sized slab of proper wagyu, fresh off of a little charcoal grill, is a melt-in-your-mouth treat like no other. But no one ought to want a whole steak like that.

Meanwhile, a proper grain-fed, corn-finished Angus Porterhouse, cooked by someone who knows that its two parts require different heat treatments, with crackling crisp fat around the outside, is Nirvana.

But as an oxtail fan, I yearn for purely grass-fed oxtails, like the amazing ones I had from New Zealand. The Angus corn-fed pattern, in which fat tends to accumulate on the outsides, does not work well for oxtail. It winds up being mostly waste in the stew.

Different beef have different textures, and are suited for different dish. Wagyu would be a waster in a long simmer Chinese braised beef, but absolutely delicious in Yakiniku, a tougher cut from buffalo would be disaster in Yakiniku would be the best to absorb all the flavor in a curry.

I don't think they're in the same genre at all. A sushi-sized slab of proper wagyu, fresh off of a little charcoal grill, is a melt-in-your-mouth treat like no other. But no one ought to want a whole steak like that.

Meanwhile, a proper grain-fed, corn-finished Angus Porterhouse, cooked by someone who knows that its two parts require different heat treatments, with crackling crisp fat around the outside, is Nirvana.

But as an oxtail fan, I yearn for purely grass-fed oxtails, like the amazing ones I had from New Zealand. The Angus corn-fed pattern, in which fat tends to accumulate on the outsides, does not work well for oxtail. It winds up being mostly waste in the stew.
I am with you on the porterhouse but I can't do wagyu beef. It is too strange to me.

Makers who create integral knives and give the spine thickness measurement as “out of the handle” instead of “above the heel” deserve to step on Lego’s. I’m looking for a monster knife, not a knife with a monster tang.
I am with you, but the punishment just seems extreme.

On the other hand makers that don't provide exact measurements..... I get that it ultimately doesn't matter if it is 220-240 and one calls it 230, but it is not that hard to just measure the final product.

Makers who create integral knives and give the spine thickness measurement as “out of the handle” instead of “above the heel” deserve to step on Lego’s. I’m looking for a monster knife, not a knife with a monster tang.
Eeeeem… integrals usually have very short necks (if any), so the the thickness difference shouldn't be important

Lacking an oven over the weekend, I put a ribeye roast in a lidded saucepan to sear. Mindful of the above factor, I used tongs to achieve differential hardening of the longissimus core vs the spinalis cladding. Finished with a quench in cold oil.
This man is forging his steaks 😂

Lacking an oven over the weekend, I put a ribeye roast in a lidded saucepan to sear. Mindful of the above factor, I used tongs to achieve differential hardening of the longissimus core vs the spinalis cladding. Finished with a quench in cold oil.
I prefer a butter quench myself.

I don't eat steak like that. I cook a steak before I cut it.
If you slice it before serving its not a steak. If I order a steak and it comes pre-sliced I usually send it back. I am fine with someone doing that as long as they don’t call it a steak or chop (I just won’t order it).

Last edited:
Back