Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever had these spicy Dutch snacks?
View attachment 287428
I thought "Heeet" looked like a funny word so I translated it to see if it's actually spelled with three e's or not. Turns out yes. And less e's make different words. "Het heet heeet" would apparently mean "It is always hot". Languages are so kooky.

Yeah it's just cheap junkfood, nothing to write home about.

The challenge of 'how much chillis to add' is that people have differ widely in the extent of their habituation / resistance to capsaicin. Some who have high resistance may consider it 'dumbing down', but for the average person who doesn't have a high resistance to it this may be the only way to make it palatable. I'm not sure there's a good solution there that satisfies everyone, apart from simply putting hot sauce on the table and letting guests do their own thing. 🤷‍♂️
It's not like salt where you can just stick to a 1-2% ratio and be fairly certain that you'll satisfy most people.

Last edited:
I thought "Heeet" looked like a funny word so I translated it to see if it's actually spelled with three e's or not. Turns out yes. And less e's make different words. "Het heet heeet" would apparently mean "It is always hot". Languages are so kooky.
No it's not spelled with 3 e's...that's just the Dutch equivalent of saying it's 'hooooooooot'. Which most likely it isn't really because most Dutch people don't necessarily have a capsaicin tolerance either.
'Het heet heet' would actually mean 'It's called hot', but it's not really a sentence you'd ever make in real life.

We had a Curry festival at Kahala years ago. Brought in the King of Curry from India. All these spices blended together. It was late 80's he made beautiful dishes that the customers couldn't eat because they were so hot. After first day was told had to cut out the heat.

When I came to Hawaii in 1969 had my first local style Curry stew from a lunch wagon near University of Hawaii. I've been hooked ever since.

Just curious, but is Will Catcheside an unpopular smith these days or maybe just not a part of the current hype train? It seems his knives often sit in BST, which surprises me a little, because while I’m not always a fan of his blade profiles, the steel is always good. His prices have also been very consistent over the years, even with Brexit, and seemingly not so impacted by the current market or the new crop of upscale reseller web stores.

No it's not spelled with 3 e's...that's just the Dutch equivalent of saying it's 'hooooooooot'. Which most likely it isn't really because most Dutch people don't necessarily have a capsaicin tolerance either.
'Het heet heet' would actually mean 'It's called hot', but it's not really a sentence you'd ever make in real life.
I had a feeling that google translate was steering me wrong. Also had a feeling you'd be the one to set it straight. :)

Just curious, but is Will Catcheside an unpopular smith these days or maybe just not a part of the current hype train? It seems his knives often sit in BST, which surprises me a little, because while I’m not always a fan of his blade profiles, the steel is always good. His prices have also been very consistent over the years, even with Brexit, and seemingly not so impacted by the current market or the new crop of upscale reseller web stores.
This is puzzling to me too and I don't have an explanation for it. Will makes some of the best cutting knives. Possibly the often funky profiles turn people off, not sure since equally funky profiles from the "in style now" makers sell fast anyway.

BST has been pretty cool lately. A few makers move really quick, but the rest are just sitting.

I think he's still popular, many of his knives that I've seen WTS posts sitting for usually have at least one of these descriptors: lower heel height, longer than is popular, has an odd edge or total profile, has an odd or oversized handle. Combine that with pricing that's in line with the level of forging work that goes into them and his very polarizing aesthetic sensibilities and they end up needing to wait for the right buyer.

I also don't believe there's all that large a group of people who put a significant premium on knives with (more or less) their complete geometry forged in vs ones made into (comparatively) rough blanks that have most of their geometry established through stock removal.

This is an interesting point. Historically I’ve been very fond of Catchesides work but it is a challenge to find one with an agreeable blade shape (atleast for me). He might be popular enough to where his buzz and customer base largely isn’t on KKF any longer, not sure. Either way, someone is scooping up his newsletter drops in minutes upon release. I don’t mean this as an insult but the base here seems to be geared towards upcoming newer makers/ newest designs over established brands. Even someone like Dalman doesn’t get talked nearly as much as he was 3-4 years ago.
Side note: picked up this Catcheside and it should be here in a few days. If he made more like this I wouldn’t hesitate to buy several more.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/catcheside-218mm-gyuto.67717/#post-1043907

Brought to you by the language that also has neuken in de keuken and meedoen voor spek en bonen
While learning Dutch, I once accidentally tried asking "may I pet your cat?" as mag ik jouw kat vrijen? (it turns out that the Dutch-English dictionary I used put the wrong sense of "pet" first instead of the more tame aanhalen or aaien)

Sparkles - the decorative type on greeting cards - should be illegal.

Sparkles, do you mean like glitter?
Glitter on cards sucks, takes 2 months after throwing away the card until you no longer find any of it anymore.

I nowadays rub most of it off above the bin straight away when we recieve a card with glitter on it.

This is an interesting point. Historically I’ve been very fond of Catchesides work but it is a challenge to find one with an agreeable blade shape (atleast for me). He might be popular enough to where his buzz and customer base largely isn’t on KKF any longer, not sure. Either way, someone is scooping up his newsletter drops in minutes upon release. I don’t mean this as an insult but the base here seems to be geared towards upcoming newer makers/ newest designs over established brands. Even someone like Dalman doesn’t get talked nearly as much as he was 3-4 years ago.
Side note: picked up this Catcheside and it should be here in a few days. If he made more like this I wouldn’t hesitate to buy several more.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/catcheside-218mm-gyuto.67717/#post-1043907

Yeah, a lot of this is sensible. Opposite to what you'd normally expect maybe, his work was more consistent (in terms of blade shape and handle-making) years ago and has changed a lot and been increasingly variable in the last couple years. I'd be more hesitant to buy now than I used to be in the past due to the variability of blade profile/handles, but the two newer knives that I do have from him are straight killers. I will say his communication and social media is more erratic and less frequent than lots of newer makers, and he doesn't work with any of the new crop of webstores that promote other makers outside of their own IG/websites. He's also quite eccentric in a distinctly English way.

You're right too about Dalman and some others. Maybe just the natural ebbing and flowing of popularity, and of course, it takes a lot of work to market yourself when self-employed.

Sparkles, do you mean like glitter?
Glitter on cards sucks, takes 2 months after throwing away the card until you no longer find any of it anymore.

I nowadays rub most of it off above the bin straight away when we recieve a card with glitter on it.
Glitter - yes, that's the word. Tiny pieces of plastic that you eventually eat.

Yeah the profiles are a little whack. The one I kept is okay profile wise but I would've preferred a more normal profile (at least aesthetically).
I also feel like forged geometry stuff can often be hit or miss. It's very easy to make something wedge-y or steer-y (as reported by owlwoodworks in his thread with his Catcheside).

Yeah the profiles are a little whack. The one I kept is okay profile wise but I would've preferred a more normal profile (at least aesthetically).
I also feel like forged geometry stuff can often be hit or miss. It's very easy to make something wedge-y or steer-y (as reported by owlwoodworks in his thread with his Catcheside).
I’ve experienced misses with Takeda forged geometry where the blade above the bevel was too uneven with “craters” and created drag and unevenness where food met the blade. Bevel work can be fixed though so if the problem is there atleast it’s not the end of the world.

Ah okay. Maybe this is a result of his newer, more extreme forging style. His older forged knives rarely went taller than 56mm or so, didn't have as extreme of distal taper, and has a much more subtle forged-S or none at all. The two newer knives I have from him are both cleavers, so the weight and grinds are obviously quite different than gyutos and neither have issues. I think I've had about 10 of his knives, I've kept 4 or 5. A gyuto from around 2017/18 and a recent cleaver are my favorites.

@labor of love My memory may be faulty, but I think Will popped up on the KKF scene when Takeda knives were peak popularity. I seem to recall a lot of his early work, much of it with ground geometry, not forged, mimicked the classic Takeda grind to some degree. Certainly some of his newer knives have Takeda vibes with the taller heel heights and big forged hollows.

Pretty much the only home automation brands worth using are Apple, Eve, and Lutron. Nearly everything else is a functionality, privacy and security dumpster fire. If it doesn’t use Thread and/or HomeKit it’s not worth using.

Check out Catcheside’s stories on IG. Out of nowhere he’s dropping some heat with very nice profiles instead of the usual santoku shape

Pretty much the only home automation brands worth using are Apple, Eve, and Lutron. Nearly everything else is a functionality, privacy and security dumpster fire. If it doesn’t use Thread and/or HomeKit it’s not worth using.
Home automation will replace home habitants like AI will replace workers

Back