Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hah, awesome. I love rants on rants.

Probably I misinterpreted the point of the evolution/omnivore discussion. Since it was in the middle of a discussion on why vegans are stupid or not stupid, I assumed it was brought up to say that it’s natural to eat meat with your veggies, so vegans should stuff it (with meat).

But rereading, that doesn’t look like the point! I was probably reacting in my head to earlier past discussions where people brought up cavemen to justify eating meat.
vegans would be the last to be picked in a dodgeball game, often not picked at all and just run with 1 person short, or make them be the waterboy/girl.

Hah, awesome. I love rants on rants.

Looks like I misinterpreted the point of the evolution/omnivore comment above. Since it was in the middle of a discussion on why vegans are stupid or not stupid, I assumed it was brought up to say that it’s natural to eat meat with your veggies, so vegans should stuff it (with meat).

But rereading, that doesn’t look like the point! I was probably reacting in my head to earlier past discussions where people brought up cavemen to justify eating meat.

The omnivore point was to stop bickering about which diets are stupid or not since many can work. It was not to claim you need or don't need meat in your diet. Hard to get a complex point across in single sentences.

Vegetarian diets are clearly possible, we have many examples of these. Not sure true vegan diets are possible long term without modern technology, but maybe. No large populations of vegans, but most likely because you have to live in a very rich society to be this picky about food. During most of the human existence in most places in the world people ate what they could find. We have the luxury to pick and choose while yelling at others for doing differently.

Then there is the question of survival vs well being and healthy longevity, but that is even more complicated and even though most interesting to me, I am not qualified to discuss.

Including Carl Lewis. Had no idea
He was not vegan his whole life, so it is not clear what would happen if he was. There is good evidence that children need at least partially animal based diets for best development. It is possible that modern technology can synthetize all that is needed, but we haven't had enough time to know what the long term consequences would be. I wouldn't test it on my children I know that much. Adults can experiment with themselves though.

I'm sorry for the confusion. Let me clarify.

When I said "I don't care" it was in reference to your lengthy lecture about swearing.

But I do care about blanket disparaging comments about my nationality and countrymen.

There's nothing political in this comment.
I think you gave me far more credit here than I deserve.

Of your fellow countrymen, there will some fraction that approves of the bleeping, some fraction that disapproves, and probably a much larger fraction who couldn't care less either way. So, at best, I might have disparaged some fraction of your countrymen.

As to nationality, when I'm in the US and hear people swearing like troopers, what I hear are Americans doing the swearing. As to bleeping, the US is the only western country I know of that bleeps out even mild swear words on free-to-air TV. This does not seem to have any effect on the Americans whom I hear swearing when I'm over there.

There is loads of evidence, and solid evidence at that, that a mediterranean 'diet' (rather 'feeding pattern' IMHO) is best for us, it contains meat but not very much.
Me otoh —
I have two categories:
food, and
what food eats.

The thing I find amusing is the likely high proportion of people who are in the “**** yeah meat! Vegan’s suck!” camp yet have never slaughtered an animal.

I eat meat btw

Last edited:
it's so weird to me what random behaviors people will latch onto as central to their identity and worthy of derision in others

aren't you supposed to be a grown man? why are you still worried about being picked last at dodgeball like a little boy

insecurities on full display today

Party for 1000 people, one of them is vegan. How do you know which one?

They'll tell you.
1000007383.jpg

The thing I find amusing is the likely high proportion of people who are in the “**** yeah meat, vegan’s suck” camp yet have never slaughtered an animal in their life.

FYI I eat meat

I've caught, stalked, raised, killed, gutted, butchered, cooked and eaten a bunch of animals for sure. The only thing all of that has taught me is a greater appreciation for the animal and the meat.

I've got no issue if people want to be vegan. Have a ball. That goes for whatever diet du jour people are into from the carnivore to the raw. You do you. Unfortunately, that same courtesy is all too often not reciprocated.

it's so weird to me what random behaviors people will latch onto as central to their identity and worthy of derision in others

aren't you supposed to be a grown man? why are you still worried about being picked last at dodgeball like a little boy

insecurities on full display today

I know. Weird...

'feel good' is much too kind of an assessment. it's a cabal of price fixers that makes it so the most sought after knives are only accessible to keyboard warriors with useless desk jobs who have the ability to spend all day online

carcels should be sent to reeducation camps

so you used to see the world through common-sense values shared by everyone around you, but then you got a car and now you think everyone who travels in public should be treated like a car? absolutely carpilled

also, if you do the weird knife-resting-on-forearm pose I'm just going to laugh at you. like why

Very believable, yes. You are completely unbothered, that's why you're quoting all these examples trying to 'get' me lol

But I drive a car, I work as a 'keyboard warrior', and I've posted a photo here with a knife resting on my forearm. None of these things threaten my identity when I do them.

If my child expressed interest in any them I wouldn't even jokingly threaten to push them off of a building. If I saw a random stranger engaging with these things I wouldn't try to intimidate them or throw things at them.

That's what really bothers me, and should bother anyone else with a shred of humanity

Very believable, yes. You are completely unbothered, that's why you're quoting all these examples trying to 'get' me lol

But I drive a car, I work as a 'keyboard warrior', and I've posted a photo here with a knife resting on my forearm. None of these things threaten my identity when I do them.

If my child expressed interest in any them I wouldn't even jokingly threaten to push them off of a building. If I saw a random stranger engaging with these things I wouldn't try to intimidate them or throw things at them.

That's what really bothers me, and should bother anyone else with a shred of humanity

Um...what? 🤷‍♂️

Back