Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is relative, but it can certainly justify the price for some consumers, in some cases. for different reasons.

for instance, what goes into the cost of a knife being manufactured (in enormous quantities, but still) europe, switzerland?
what's the minimum wage, cost of healthcare and empoleyer's taxes etc.
is it more expensive to produce the 'same' knives in switzerland compared to places where labour comes cheaper? yes, of course.
is that worth 20$ to a customer or not? that's up to the buyer.

i'm not saying that all similar but cheaper alternatives to vics are made in places where working conditions are worse and wages are lower. though i take my chances and guess that some are.

Dexter Russell is made in Massachusetts.

Dexter Russell is made in Massachusetts.

yeah, which sure makes it a preferable contender in the states.

a DexRus chef in sweden goes for ~30$ while a fibrox vic sets you back 40$. huge difference in availability though.

equivalent swedish alternatives are not cheaper afaik, but some eu might be (switzerland is not an eu member).

haven’t really looked for it, but if i needed a vic style beater i’d be happy to pay a little bit more for a swedish knife. in my cooking environment even a beater has a really long lifespan. longer than 10$.

with that said i rather spend 80$ on a NOS japanese soft carbon.

the amount of prep my knives go through in a year is about what yours do in a day :D

All restaurant supply stuff is basically the same. Probably manufactured in the same factories.

Dexter SaniSafe/Basics/Val-U
Mercer Millennia/Culinary
Winco Stahl/Happy Chef/KWP (branded different in different retailers/regions/countries)

Many, many others that are roughly equally as crappy as the vaunted Fibrox while costing 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Just Fibrox has gotten all the culinary reviewers to say they are the best value knife for about the past 25 years so it is just regurgitated any time any one asks for a knife recommendation.
Victorinox was a decent deal when they were $25. Not that they are $50, yeah, not worth it.

Better than honey or maple syrup
IMG_0221.jpeg

it is relative, but it can certainly justify the price for some consumers, in some cases. for different reasons.

for instance, what goes into the cost of a knife being manufactured (in enormous quantities, but still) europe, switzerland?
what's the minimum wage, cost of healthcare and empoleyer's taxes etc.
is it more expensive to produce the 'same' knives in switzerland compared to places where labour comes cheaper? yes, of course.
is that worth 20$ to a customer or not? that's up to the buyer.

i'm not saying that all similar but cheaper alternatives to vics are made in places where working conditions are worse and wages are lower. though i take my chances and guess that some are.

Quite right, Sumis. That's what gives China a major edge in ALL manufacturing. A LOT of the kitchenware avbl online--most cl;aiming to sell @ 50% discount--is the same stuff sold on TEMU for 1/4 the price.

Blue and green are my favorite colors but for some reason those dyed woods and resin combos don't do it for me. Usually at least. Maybe I'll like 1/10. I might have 1-2 max like that.

Like I can do this, no complicated spacers or loud ferrules or anything make it work
DSC00586_grande.jpg

I've had people ask for dyed amboyna burl or if I will do purple taz. That's too much for me. Save the dye for a white curly maple imo

Latest posts

Back