Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Novels are for the library, not for forums 😉

Hey, no personal attacks. 😡

No it is not cool that there's a good chance what you see is not what you'll get (TFTFTFTF and about all else). It is not cool that there is no warranty. It is not cool that what you order may not be what you get, and that a vendor can just say : "oh well the maker said it was that, I bought a batch and all that". "Undisclosed steel" is BS. "Makers are quite secretive about their steels and processes" is BS.

Btw, are you a moderator for the Reinstate Quality Control subforum?

Only a handful of Western makers make something that cuts equal or better than most of the Japanese knives in the $200-300 price range. And by handful I man like....3-4 that I've personally tried and it's been a lot.

Catcheside and Carter and Cris Anderson are all really good cutters

Ealy grinds are thick as hell and you might as well buy a $100 German.

Fowler is ruler flat and borderline unusable unless you only ever chop, every one I've had has had the tip broken as well.

Shig Gyutos really don't cut that well, their Nakiri's are badass and cut excellent but their gyuto grinds are meh at best.

Very few of the recent Workhorse trend knives are done well, they just wedge more overall and in terms of ease of cutting your average middleweight Tanaka (Ginsan or Sekiso) smokes them.

I'd add Antzenberger to that list of quality western makers.

These mad lads out here talking about their metal without ever even SEM imaging grain structures

Your wallet can buy you knives but it can't buy you meaningful insight or knowledge about those knives. Having one doesn't mean ****.

Knowing everything and not having a specific knife leaves you at the same place - regarding that knife. Having one does mean something.

Not worth the money...

images.jpeg

One of the only knowledgeable member around here not treating newbies like garbage that should not participate into anything is likely the one that will avoid this thread, and if he doesn't, won't try to settle accounts in a flying manner.

Someone not knowing something you do has also 50% chances of being much smarter than you are.

Most people in this form don't know how to sharpen, yet they're quick to give sharpening advice.

Too many people obsess about stupid scratches that can be fixed in 10 minutes if needed. This prevents them from doing what needs to be done to their knives.

Most people in this form don't know how to sharpen, yet they're quick to give sharpening advice.

I don’t actually mind that. People that have been sharpening for a week have something to teach to people who have been sharpening for a day. And teaching is a good way to learn. But yea, one has to take all suggestions with a grain of salt.

Latest posts

Back