what is your turkey carcass stock strategy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
my neighbor gave me their carcass as well. I now have TWO!! I know I want to carry on a family tradition of turkey JOOK, but I don't need 3 gallons of jook. I hatched a plan.

I am gonna make simmer the stock all day, maybe Monday. Monday night is our coldest night and it should get close to freezing. as cold as my fridge for sure. I put the stuff into all my various hotel pans/vessels and chill it down outside, then in my fridge. I pull some out and make my jook, then put the rest into quart freezer bags and they go into deep freeze.

my neighbor across the street just put his carcass into the green bin to be taken away. (I didnt want three carcasses, plus I bet his stayed unchilled all night)

what are you all doing with the bones?!

I made stock for thanksgiving with the pelvis and trimmings, the bones all go into the bin in the freezer to be turned into stock when they fill up. I'd pressure can the stock over freezing it, but that's just what works better for us.

I tend to use an almost equal volume of water to bones/meat, so one carcass doesn't yield much. I typically roast a couple wings and necks along with the carcass and make stock with that. For the past half decade I've mostly done sous vide turkey a la ChefSteps. It is delicious and freakshow easy. I usually have the turkeys done almost a week in advance. Break them down, roast the carcass and wings and then make stock/gravy with that. Days before Thanksgiving, turkeys are already cooked, the stock has already been made.... it's the least stress you could possibly have.

I tend to use an almost equal volume of water to bones/meat, so one carcass doesn't yield much. I typically roast a couple wings and necks along with the carcass and make stock with that. For the past half decade I've mostly done sous vide turkey a la ChefSteps. It is delicious and freakshow easy. I usually have the turkeys done almost a week in advance. Break them down, roast the carcass and wings and then make stock/gravy with that. Days before Thanksgiving, turkeys are already cooked, the stock has already been made.... it's the least stress you could possibly have.

Do you re-heat in the waterbath on the day or use another technique (do you brown with a torch, boiler or sear off)? I've done several of the ChefSteps methods and they all produce great results (really like the pressure cooked legs/thighs) just have never done it SV so early. Thx

This is the way.
I think the best way to enjoy a holiday dinner is to prep ahead as much as you can so you can actually... have an easy and stressfree day while still having great food.

Is it possible to “supersaturate “ the broth where it can’t take any more from the bones?

Do you re-heat in the waterbath on the day or use another technique (do you brown with a torch, boiler or sear off)? I've done several of the ChefSteps methods and they all produce great results (really like the pressure cooked legs/thighs) just have never done it SV so early. Thx

I reheat in a water bath on the day. I do a pre and post sear in a skillet with lots of oil to brown up the skin. I wouldn't store them as long as I do if I didn't have some sort of vacuum sealer (Zippies aren't great for cook->chill->store). It's mostly for convenience because those times/temps are for 12-24 hours, so if you just get that out of the way first and then retherm for an hour or two on gameday, you'll look like a magician.

Is it possible to “supersaturate “ the broth where it can’t take any more from the bones?

I'm sure it's theoretically possible, but you're not going to do it at home. It would have to be a stock stronger than demiglace, which isn't going to happen. You'll probably start reducing the amount of flavor that bones or meat contribute, but it's not like the fluid becomes literally saturated and can't take any more.

This was my stock strategy this year. So far. I purchased a pack of necks and a bone-in breast, which I convection roasted in a large pot at 425F for like an hour.
IMG_7674.jpeg

112A2C98-C5F3-47E4-AE1B-EBAB8C03970C.jpeg

Then I added 1.5L of pressure cooked roasted turkey stock from my freezer and topped it off with enough water to cover. Into a 225F oven overnight with the lid cracked. Look how deep and clear the broth was after 18 hours.

DSC05100.jpeg

Then I topped it off with distilled water to bring it back up to the original "fill" line, added all the plants, and low simmered for a bit more than an hour.

DSC05103.jpeg

Yield was about 2L. It was some glorious business. A few cups got turned into gravy, but the rest was boiled down into demi glace, infused with crushed garlic and thyme, and then mounted with butter. Choose your own gravy adventure.

Anyway, I don't know what I'm doing with the picked rib cage from the turkey crown yet. Hopefully I can find some cheap parts around to throw in the pot with it.

When I do a turkey for Thanksgiving, I sous vide the breasts and roast the leg quarters. The wings get baked over the stuffing. Skin gets baked into a chip. Everything else gets roasted hard and pressure cooked into stock. That stock is then reduced by at least a third and used to make gravy and stuffing.

If just given bones I’d make a lighter stock and use it like chicken broth for any number of soups.

I invested in a 10 qt pressure cooker a while back, I constantly make stock from leftover bones. Fill a bag in the freezer with bones and veg trimmings, take two small onions, carmelize them and some carrots (there's plenty of trimmings in the bag and then fill two tall containers, refrigerate. Skim the fat, reduce ( I have a small freezer, it's easier since I make a lot of stocks) and then transfer to 1.25 cup rubbermaid containers for freezing. A label maker is a great investment to keep this organized, but I label EVERYTHING that goes in the freezer

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...im-chicken-stock-broth-soup.63023/post-964403

I used to make turkey stock from the carcass every year. Took me 20 years to say to myself "why do you keep doing this? You don't even like turkey stock."

For stocks I do like, I strain through cheesecloth (to get burnable bits out) and reduce considerably. It economizes on freezer space.

Back