Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some leftover makhani sauce in the freezer, so I made some butter chicken:
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200607182649547.jpg

I deboned some chicken leg quarters and rolled the meat inside its skin with a bit of salt:
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200607151738203_COVER.jpg

then cooked them sous-vide at 60C for two hours, then pan-fried them to crisp up the skins:
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200607181837319_COVER.jpg

and finally sliced them up (with a heavily-modified Watanabe 180mm on loan from @ian, now showing a lovely chicken-juice patina on the core!) and served them over rice with the sauce and some fire-roasted diced canned tomatoes. Pretty tasty!

Had some leftover makhani sauce in the freezer, so I made some butter chicken:View attachment 83302

I deboned some chicken leg quarters and rolled the meat inside its skin with a bit of salt:
View attachment 83303

then cooked them sous-vide at 60C for two hours, then pan-fried them to crisp up the skins:
View attachment 83304

and finally sliced them up (with a heavily-modified Watanabe 180mm on loan from @ian, now showing a lovely chicken-juice patina on the core!) and served them over rice with the sauce and some fire-roasted diced canned tomatoes. Pretty tasty!

This is a popular thing to do in competitive BBQ. You can really get "pretty" looking pieces of chicken, bite-through skin and more consistent shapes doing this. Being boneless helps somewhat too. Folks have packed these into cupcake pans and soaked in melted butter during the early part of the cook, in order to get consistent shapes and good moisture retention.

Here's a couple meals from the last couple days. First up is a simple steak crusted with pepper and caraway seeds next to mac and cheese with asparagus baked with bread crumbs, chopped almonds, lemon, and butter.

Steak Mac and Cheese with Asparagus topped with butter lemon breadcrumbs and almonds.jpg

Next is beef braised with fennel, mushrooms, lemon, olives, and white wine. Served over cheesy mashed potatoes.

Fennel Lemon Olive Mushroom Beef over Cheesy Mashed Potatos.jpg

Back