Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This turned out really nice. Was a hit with the family, too. Definitely going into the rotation :)

Yum! That looks awesome. 🤩
Did you try lard?

I miscalculated the quantities. Tonight, I used the left overs to make something like Bourekas:

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

#teambeige 🥳

Yum! That looks awesome. 🤩
Did you try lard?
Yes. I used lard to grease the spring form. Worked just fine. Very little sticking, and great taste.

I miscalculated the quantities. Tonight, I used the left overs to make something like Bourekas:

Stop doing this to me! Now I have to cook that, too! :)

#teambeige 🥳
Traitor! ;)

Please educate me, good folkes. What are some of your favorite things to cook with lard? It is readily available and pretty cheap around here, but for some reason I never use it..

I frequently use lard when cooking Mexican-based dishes but my absolute favorite is when making homemade refried beans. The lard really does add flavor.

Making Texas Trash. My grandmother made this for me when I was growing up and I am old. I usually make it before Thanksgiving but this year has been weird. It is a snack food some people call party mix. I like mine best.

I use butter, bacon drippings, pork fat. The pork fat is bought in a jar and the bacon drippings I save up. I used 1/2 bacon drippings and 1/2 pork fat. For nuts I use mix nuts with not too many peanuts. I add a bag of cashews because they are my favorite. And of course, I add Texas pecans from our trees.

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Took a cooking class in New Orleans, they said lard was the go-to fat for making a gumbo roux.
Sounds right. You got any good gumbo recipes? It takes me a long time to make a dark roux.

Last edited:
Sounds right. You got any good gumbo recipes? It takes me a long time to make a dark roux.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2019/10/cajun-gumbo-with-chicken-and-andouille-recipe.html
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shrimp-gumbo-recipe-1946875
Serious Eats and Alton Brown both suggest baking your roux. I've done it several times and best way to make a dark roux. I like Emeril's recipe.
https://www.emerils.com/129273/chicken-and-andouille-gumbo

That first one looks good but I usually add tomatoes to my gumbo. And really andouille sausage is the way to go. It took me a while to learn that. I am going to make gumbo coming up.

A friend of mine makes a good duck gumbo. We argue back and forth over cooking roux.

I have baked my flour also but by the time you wait to bake the flour you can make the roux. It takes about an hour for me to make a dark roux. I can start on high heat but once it starts getting dark tan, I have to cut the heat else risking burning. This is where a good pan helps as you need even heat without hot spots. Any little burnt spot will kill your roux.

Last edited:
That first one looks good but I usually add tomatoes to my gumbo. And really andouille sausage is the way to go. It took me a while to learn that. I am going to make gumbo coming up.

A friend of mine makes a good duck gumbo. We argue back and forth over cooking roux.

I have baked my flour also but by the time you wait to bake the flour you can make the roux. It takes about an hour for me to me a dark roux. I can start on high heat but once it starts getting dark tan, I have to cut the heat else risking burning. This is where a good pan helps as you need even heat without hot spots. Any little burnt spot will kill your roux.
Thats why you bake it. Burn it once after an hour of cooking pisses one off!

It really is a pisser after an hour stirring constantly to burn it at the last. It is always right at the end if it burns.

Thanks, it looks good. What class? I never have taken a class but sounds like fun. My mom took some French cooking classes in Paris France back in the 1960s. I have a lot of her old cooking stuff and knives.

Thanks, it looks good. What class? I never have taken a class but sounds like fun. My mom took some French cooking classes in Paris France back in the 1960s. I have a lot of her old cooking stuff and knives.

Demonstration Cooking Classes | New Orleans LA | New Orleans School of Cooking

We did one of the demonstration classes: Gumbo, Jambalaya, Bread Pudding and Pralines. You get to eat all that is prepared for lunch, along with pitchers of local beer. We were stuffed. The recipes are printed for you to take home. They also have hands on classes which I would like to try. Definitely take a class, we regularly attend Our Workshops | Chef Baba where we live, it's semi-hands on and Chef Baba is very entertaining.
54799669_10215059178166434_5031913323839356928_n.jpg
83949032_10217273238756565_4425879295046451200_n.jpg
16939301_10209602356389652_8082274566074679821_n.jpg

Demonstration Cooking Classes | New Orleans LA | New Orleans School of Cooking

We did one of the demonstration classes: Gumbo, Jambalaya, Bread Pudding and Pralines. You get to eat all that is prepared for lunch, along with pitchers of local beer. We were stuffed. The recipes are printed for you to take home. They also have hands on classes which I would like to try. Definitely take a class, we regularly attend Our Workshops | Chef Baba where we live, it's semi-hands on and Chef Baba is very entertaining.View attachment 108117View attachment 108120View attachment 108119
I'm so jealous! I love cajun/creole cooking!

A good friend gifted me with "The Encyclopedia of Cajun And Creole Cuisine" by John Folse. Fantastic source for great recipes.

Ken

https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Cajun-Creole-Cuisine/dp/0970445717

I love New Orleans food like gumbo, muffuletta, oyster poor boy. Pre Covid we would drive over there 2 or 3 times a year to eat great food and listen to jazz.
I have tried to make red beans and rice but I still don't have a real version. It is such a simple dish but is hard to reproduce.

The class looks fun and my kind of thing. If the world ever changes, I will look into it.

I was all prepped for making Janssons Frestelse when I found out that you don't use anchovies, but ansjovis which in Sweden means pickled sprats!
Now, I'm not lazy, so after a quick google to make sure they are also made in Denmark, I hopped on my trusty bicycle and went to my local supermarket only to find that they didn't carry them.
I decided to make it without the fish and treat it as a side dish. Made up a batch of Frikadeller and it was nice, but the disappointment still lingers..
IMG_1476.jpg

Paul Prudhomme is incredible. Written recipe follows the video. When I lived in NO I ate several times in his French Quarter restaurant when it first opened, and he'd often join us at the table for a chat. After a while the waiting lines were around the block and so I gave up going there. He's a genius. Does not skimp on calories

A roux doesn't take too long if you turn up to medium high heat and use a whisk, but dont turn your back and try not to blink. Lower the heat when it's dark brown because it'll be brick red in another minute. At that point throw in the trinity, which will cool it down.

Latest posts

Back