Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I envy you, where I live fishmongers are almost non existent, there is one 'pharmacy' like store with decent fish.
Fried roe is also GREAT, aim for slightly undercooked as it gets dry quite easily....I have no clue what the origin of the roe is
Where do you live?

Two local cooks decided to go for a better work/life balance and closed their restaurant and opened a fish shop in my town last week.
It's awesome and I have been there twice already. They are very enthusiastic and love to talk shop. Today I came away with a filet of catfish and some lumpfish roe + plus some great ideas on how to cook it.

I gave it my best shot and came up with this; Catfish, new potatoes, asparagus with a creme fraiche/lumpfish roe sauce.
View attachment 129078

@Lars your new name is THE TRIFECTA because you keep killing these protein / starch / veg plates. Each one looks like pure homecooked goodness. Every time bro!

Where do you live?
Netherlands, the problem is that I live further away from the coast than compatible with great seafood...when I lived in Amsterdam I drove up to the port where all the fishing boats come in to get fresh seafood, that is now a 300 km roundtrip.

Netherlands, the problem is that I live further away from the coast than compatible with great seafood...when I lived in Amsterdam I drove up to the port where all the fishing boats come in to get fresh seafood, that is now a 300 km roundtrip.

What is the express delivery situ like in The Netherlands? Friend of mine in Canada sometimes orders fresh seafood online.

What is the express delivery situ like in The Netherlands? Friend of mine in Canada sometimes orders fresh seafood online.
I never tried that, will look into it, thanks for the suggestion!

O wow, my fave fishmonger after buying fish straight at the port' Schmidt seafood' does online next day delivery....expensive but worth a try, as I expect them to live up to their reputation!

Last edited:
I envy you, where I live fishmongers are almost non existent, there is one 'pharmacy' like store with decent fish.
Fried roe is also GREAT, aim for slightly undercooked as it gets dry quite easily....I have no clue what the origin is of the roe we typically got as a kid, I suspect Herring...
Our local fishmonger went belly up last year, so I feel your pain. Love fried roe too..

we have a couple of 'fish product sellers', only one shop I'd call a fishmonger...mostly they sell salads, and other pre- prepared stuff with a hint of fish content in it but making up for that with super fishy smelliness....wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole and all that...

Schmidt it is, only downside is that I need to plan a day ahead...o well, enough moaning

We have tacos at least twice a month, tonight with Mexican street corn and watermelon chunks
Quick easy and delicious
245F21F8-9962-4F0F-8CB6-C4F6EA59C933.jpeg

great! I have seen them driving around but always assumed they only did pro kitchens/high volume!
If I am not mistaken you're living in my neck of the woods ;)
Guess corona forced a different business model on them. Try the NIEUWBIJATL code, perhaps it is still active.

Pre-corona I just went to Sligro/Hanos/Makro. Hope to resume that in the near future.

My partner has a disease and got the recommendation to eat at least twice a week fish. I find it not easy to find a varied assortment (also because I am/used to be meat focused). Lack of decent fishmongers is shocking.

Rode poon

Last edited:
Poon is great once you get over it's kinda ugly look...when I made frequent trips to buy fish at IJmuiden I usually looked at freshness, asked some questions about what they had and what preparation they suggested and came home with something unknown to me....usually very good! It's like with hunting game, if you don't catch what you aim for you stay behind hungry ;-)

I have tried fish at Hanos, I love that store for many things (though their range and quality of products went down pre Covid and - understandably- even further during Covid) but fish is the one department I avoid...been to Breda (used to be ISPC) and Eindhoven and I did not find the sort of ultra fresh fish I'd expect restaurant owners/chefs would want, it comes across as being a side product not a main objective for them.

Classic start with asparagus, hollandaise and parma ham chips. A small pause with salami and dolcetto, followed by lamb fillet with caramelised onion, thyme, rosemary, garlic, chicken stock and lemon. Oh, it’s rhubarb season so some rhubarb pie with home made vanilla cream. Some riesling with the asparagus and Clos des papes, chateauneuf du pape with the lamb. All in all a very good day 🍷

86F661C4-E831-4F62-AD91-A26A8F8B178F.jpeg

E1E74A09-9CF5-4DB0-A46F-D81167775A27.jpeg

B196AFCD-60CD-4C62-A125-A8420D7A4B68.jpeg

D63C29EF-6B97-43B0-9945-680FD5AAB825.jpeg

A13FA126-607C-47E3-99C6-03CDE163C6C4.jpeg

D56A0AA8-F036-4B73-8D56-32883EDB1FAF.jpeg

please tell me; did you choose a Riesling from the Alsace?
Some manufacturers from Beblenheim and Equisheim jump to mind in this context...the late Mme Faller as an example

please tell me; did you choose a Riesling from the Alsace?
Some manufacturers from Beblenheim and Equisheim jump to mind in this context...the late Mme Faller as an example

A riesling fom Pfalz, from Dr. Bürklin-Wolf. We had one open in the fridge already, but had a very nice alsace wine from Marcel Deiss as an option. Or perhaps something more oaky like a Meursault. It worked fine anyway.

044C17AD-B12B-48B8-B8B5-CF49FC8EEDED.jpeg

Grilled wild Alaskan sockeye salmon glazed with honey, olive oil, minced shallots, ginger and basil served with basmati brown rice and steamed Tuscan seasoned broccoli - out on the picnic table on a summer-like evening in southwestern Colorado.
0529dnrplt.jpg

0529slmn.jpg

Grilled wild Alaskan sockeye salmon glazed with honey, olive oil, minced shallots, ginger and basil served with basmati brown rice and steamed Tuscan seasoned broccoli - out on the picnic table on a summer-like evening in southwestern Colorado.
View attachment 129280
View attachment 129281

When I lived in Alaska, Reds (sockeye) were my second favorite of the three primary eating salmons to catch. They are smaller and lively and where we would generally fish for them, they lived in pretty fast water so when you hooked one it was a fun fight. I don't know if you've ever been up there and experienced that but if not, be mindful that I said they were my second favorite to catch. Fishing for them where we used to go is insane! As in insane. At the height of the run it is elbow to elbow with people lined up behind you. Step out into the water to fight a fish or clear a snag and someone would already have your spot. Lures flipping and flying everywhere, tempers flaring, crazy. Hence the term combat fishing at the confluence of the Russian and Kenia Rivers. Too much for me and I only did it a few times.

Not my video but gives an idea. This actually really tame. I've seen dozens more people right there.

Thai red curry with chicken and eggplant. The only complicated and time consuming part of making Thai curry is the preparation of the curry paste, and fortunately a good quality formulation can be had in a tin. Tonight I tried out the brand shown below, along with imported Thai coconut creme, Thai basil, fish sauce, kaffir lime leaves, and just a few other ingredients. The Maesry paste was fabulous.

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

@curry, please DO try make your own curry paste...it's a bit of a chore but so worth it! We briefly owned a Thai cookbook and since I've never used pre made curry paste...the book went out of frustration of containing unobtainable ingredients in every third recipe (to name one; giant red ants :oops: )
Also; if you can try source the Thai egg plant, I often have to resort to regular egg plant but when the Asian supermarket has them and I can use the real thing the curry is so much better, mouthfeel taste, everything.

Back