Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Austrian dish called „Mohnnudeln“. This is a dish grandmas used to make. For decades I have enjoyed eating this without giving my grandma the respect and appreciation for the efforts…

Basically it is a gnocchi-like dough made of potatoes. You melt butter and add freshly ground poppy seeds and sugar.

46407070um.jpeg

Austrian dish called „Mohnnudeln“. This is a dish grandmas used to make. For decades I have enjoyed eating this without giving my grandma the respect and appreciation for the efforts…

Basically it is a gnocchi-like dough made of potatoes. You melt butter and add freshly ground poppy seeds and sugar.

46407070um.jpeg
I only know the Germknödel mit Mohn, delicious!

@daddy yo yo Could you post the recipe for the Mohnnudeln? I looked, and my first thought was "Germknödel", too. It looks really good!

Last edited:
Sourdough liege waffles, brown sugar and vanilla macerated strawberries. Whipped topping since my better half was born with a critical design flaw in a weakness to lactose. Lactose free milk is great for baking. Still waiting on lactose free cream.

Attachments

• 71779916477__D15EB21B-E33B-42AB-8F6D-7CA87E6D2C10.jpeg
    71779916477__D15EB21B-E33B-42AB-8F6D-7CA87E6D2C10.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Caramelised ketchup inspired by Modernist Cuisine.
After a previous seriously bad experience with Coke in a recipe, I was very skeptical about this, but decided to give it a shot anyway. I made it this morning, and it turned out really quite nice!

I ended up adding about two teaspoons of mild garam masala and about two teaspoons of Keen's curry, plus 15 g of salt to balance out all the sugar. What I ended up with is a ketchup with a decidedly Indian twist. Spicy, sweet, sour, salty. Ticks all the boxes :)

Tip: When getting the mix ready for the pressure cooker, mix the tomato paste and coke first and heat them in the open pressure cooker. Once that mixture is hot, quickly mix in the baking soda and slam the lid on before it all foams out of the pot. That way, you trap all the gases in the pressure cooker, so it comes up to pressure quickly and you don't have to add more heat and risk burning things.

After it was all done, I reduced the sauce until it was about as viscous as ketchup.

On my day off last week I broke down a pig shoulder, ground it up, and made chorizo. I have been spending a lot of time in the hospital recently with my partner and don't want to cook at home after cooking for hours at work. So these simple tacos have been a blessing!
384503832_1444793512757389_2792161367633527154_n.jpg

Double NKD
Merion forge 1.2562 264 mm Nickel twist Damascus Gyuto with snake wood and blonde horn ferule handle
Shihan 260 mm Shirogami 2 with reclaimed cladding with Madrone and iron bark handle

Cauliflower and tofu curry
Korea fried chicken with gochujiang
Fast pickle cucumber with sesame and sambal
Raita with Serrano chilies
IMG_1913.jpeg
IMG_1910.jpeg
IMG_1906.jpeg
IMG_1908.jpeg
IMG_1920.jpeg
IMG_1924.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't cook much at home lately. Sundays are my Family meal days for the crew. Chef was craving zaru soba and picked up uni from one of the outlets so I had to deliver. Inadvertently mixed 2 types of soba when I was raiding my home kitchen 🤣

Could have plated a little nicer but had to eat fast. Overall, garnished with daikon oroshi, grated ginger, shimeiji/nasu/spinach tempura, tempura kasu, steamed eggs, kizami Wasabi.

Attachments

• 20231001_140122.jpg
    20231001_140122.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231001_140125.jpg
    20231001_140125.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Tested my new petty from Mutsumi Hinoura. Making salmon tartare on avocado and toast was a very nice technical exercise for that (cutting soft protein and produce of various densities, slicing/dicing/mincing, etc.).

I was really happy with how the knife performed (it was freaking excellent, actually). Its shape and profile, size (140x37 mm), handle, balance, sharpness OOTB… perfect.

Presentation turned out nice also (or, you be the judge of that). But that dish was… for the lack of a better word, uninspired (maybe it was just my tired ass, not at my most creative when tired).

Maybe I will just order a burger (which I will not do because it is already like 10:00 PM and I should really cut down on my late night snacking 😅 ). I might make a sandwich out of some fantastic leftover ribeye, though… now there’s a thought, a delicious and inspiring one…

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Last edited:
Mushroom Risotto with carnaroli rice. Super light on the butter and cheese.

Soffrito pieces included because I used them to make a fresh veg stock and love veg, so why not?!?!?

All prep courtesy of my modded TF. The handle is a stunner...

Soffrito:

20231004_114735.jpg

Flavoring the rice before stock addition:

20231004_121448.jpg

Fresh veg stock simmering:

20231004_121450.jpg

Finished:

20231004_125603.jpg

Last edited:
Back