Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am afraid that nowadays many people do not taste the difference between good and low quality. And even if they do, they’re not willing to pay a premium.
In Chinatown there’re a number of restaurants that make good chili oil, and sell big jars of it for much less than the little jars by some of the new wave of trendy makers with cool marketing—some are good. I’ve nothing against cottage industry—everyone’s gotta make a living—I’m just not the target audience.

Here’re some pics. Only menu item I scratched was the cucumber raita, deemed it unnecessary at the end. Used three different gyutos—Yanick, Kikumori x Nakagawa, and Tetsujin—kept a 6k stone out to refresh edges when needed. In the kitchen at 11am, food on table at 7pm. Lotta work, everyone happy—cheaper than treating everyone to a restaurant. Plant-centric menu—only meat was Hawaiian teriyaki chicken and some charcuterie—I didn’t know the majority of guests, never know if vegetarians would be present. I tend to be more meat heavy with sit-down suppers where I know all the eaters.
View attachment 271514
View attachment 271515
View attachment 271516
View attachment 271517
View attachment 271518
View attachment 271519
View attachment 271520
View attachment 271521
And what were you drinking? No doubt exquisite wines?

In Chinatown there’re a number of restaurants that make good chili oil, and sell big jars of it for much less than the little jars by some of the new wave of trendy makers with cool marketing—some are good. I’ve nothing against cottage industry—everyone’s gotta make a living—I’m just not the target audience.
I like Laoganma for its taste but not for the use of MSG.
Ingredients;

Soybean Oil, Chili, Onion, Soybeans, Monosodium Glutamate, Sichuan Pepper Powder, Sugar, Salt, Sulfur Dioxide, Sodium Sulfite. Contains Sulfur Dioxide and Sulfits,Soybean and its Derivatives.

there is the option of making it ...terribly easy, mine is a tad too hot for using more than a teaspoon...

Attachments

• 20230926_191151.jpg
    20230926_191151.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Ingredients;

Soybean Oil, Chili, Onion, Soybeans, Monosodium Glutamate, Sichuan Pepper Powder, Sugar, Salt, Sulfur Dioxide, Sodium Sulfite. Contains Sulfur Dioxide and Sulfits,Soybean and its Derivatives.

there is the option of making it ...terribly easy, mine is a tad too hot for using more than a teaspoon...
Laoganma and Oyster Sauce are the only two condiments in my 'fridge containing MSG.

I agree with you—wished Laoganma had cleaner, simpler ingredients, without MSG.

For the most part—I'm very anti–MSG, never bought a bag or tin of the stuff, view it as a shortcut I can do without—I'd rather build flavors, but that's just me. Can't find a reason to adad MSG to Asian food, ...or French food for that matter.

same here, and when I take too much of it in I get the same rushed feeling and palpitations as if I drank 10 cups caffein laden Robusta coffee in 10 minutes

same here, and when I take too much of it in I get the same rushed feeling and palpitations as if I drank 10 cups caffein laden Robusta coffee in 10 minutes
Fortunately I’ve no ill effects from consuming msg—but raised eating a lot of Japanese/Chinese food laden with the stuff. I can usually recognize the hyper-umami character of dishes containing msg. As much as possible, I choose to use simpler, non or minimally-processed ingredients when cooking. Admittedly, I’m from the generation that’ll judge/avoid cookbooks that list msg as a recipe ingredient.

Ingredients;

Marcel,
What, if anything, do you add to your chili crisp to make it crispy? I've seen recipes call for peanuts, which seems a bit weird? Also, which chilis do you use and do you leave the chili seeds in?

Evan

Marcel,
What, if anything, do you add to your chili crisp to make it crispy? I've seen recipes call for peanuts, which seems a bit weird? Also, which chilis do you use and do you leave the chili seeds in?

Evan
the chilli crisps up from slow/low frying in the oil, I did not add peanuts but many versions do.
I did add some falvor components like green sichuan pepper, a lot of the wild andilaman pepper, and i used Sichuan dried red chillies, and left all the seeds in....that last bit is likely the cause for the pretty extreme heat it packs (probbaly with the numbing heat of the sichuan peppers)
I looked at some recipes in a thread on this forum and decided it is so easy that experimenting is called for ;-)

this was the recipe I used;
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/overrated-foods.55867/page-9#post-853532

Last edited:
Late after a day of meetings and Zoom calls, the choices were: leftovers or leftovers? Three quarters of a cold spam & egg lunch bagel? Or Monday’s chicken chunks, deboned, with spring onion greens and whites plus cherry tomatoes halved à la Denka, sautéed in five tablespoons of ground guanciale hiding at the back of the fridge, stirred through with berbere, turmeric powder and lemon zest, finished with a teaspoon of niter kibbeh.

IMG_8596.jpeg

The Denka wants to cut, the way a shark wants to bite.

Last edited:
Fortunately I’ve no ill effects from consuming msg—but raised eating a lot of Japanese/Chinese food laden with the stuff. I can usually recognize the hyper-umami character of dishes containing msg. As much as possible, I choose to use simpler, non or minimally-processed ingredients when cooking. Admittedly, I’m from the generation that’ll judge/avoid cookbooks that list msg as a recipe ingredient.
I know a scientist who will happily talk your ear off about how msg is absolutely fine and the whole anti msg thing is basically a racist reaction to the fact it is used so much in Asian food. He'll point out that it's the sodium form of glutamate which is the most abundant neurotransmitter in the human body.

Then he'll pull out the bottle of msg he carries round with him and sprinkle it on the food in front of him.

Obligatory photo of food. Brisket - sauce added later to taste because *kids*.

Attachments

• PXL_20230929_070326708~2.jpg
    PXL_20230929_070326708~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Caramelised ketchup inspired by Modernist Cuisine. Cooked in pressure cooker:

150 g tomato paste
150 ml Coke
5 g baking soda
mix and cook at full pressure for 15 minutes.
Dissolve 90 g sugar in 50 ml spirit vinegar and stir into the ketchup.

Season with salt and garam masala (or curry powder).

IMG_2455.jpeg

Edit: in the meantime, just sharpen your knife in case you need one sometime.

I know a scientist who will happily talk your ear off about how msg is absolutely fine and the whole anti msg thing is basically a racist reaction to the fact it is used so much in Asian food. He'll point out that it's the sodium form of glutamate which is the most abundant neurotransmitter in the human body.

Then he'll pull out the bottle of msg he carries round with him and sprinkle it on the food in front of him.

Obligatory photo of food. Brisket - sauce added later to taste because *kids*.
lets not go there AGAIN....yes it is a neurotransmitter, so is electricity, water is also abundantly available yet both can kill. nuff said about this already

I'm sorta neutral on the whole thing (never noticed having any sympthoms), but I could see how some artificial concentrate and something in its natural matrix work differently on the body. Eating an orange and drinking orange juice also has a different impact. I wouldn't rule out parmiggiano cheese leading to a different response than the MSG crystals.
Or who knows, maybe it's an interaction effect.

Are you by any chance working through a box of port that someone gifted you, that you don't really like, and just end up using it for your sauce every week? :D

lets not go there AGAIN....yes it is a neurotransmitter, so is electricity, water is also abundantly available yet both can kill. nuff said about this already
The dose makes the poison is both true and a straw man. There's no evidence it's harmful in standard quantities used in food. I'm sympathetic to the idea that some people react more to certain ingredients. But the evidence puts it up with 'don't have seed oils don't get sunburnt' and 'all metabolic disease can be cured via a carnivore diet'.

Don't mean to stray off topic or spoil the vibes, so won't argue on the Internet more about this.

Ha well the only fluke was the price! $6/lb for rather large flatfish. I can’t usually get them that size, even at Rhode Island’s fish port, and the weather hasn’t been great for the boats.

We try to mix it up on cuisines, though I am on Vietnamese kick atm.

Back