Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i heard daikon
F6CCA4B5-CF53-467A-8734-F524E736E1C9.jpeg
fondant was a thing …

A5 is just nuts. It's like beef foie gras. The cooking technique is pretty much the same. So is the fat content, I suppose. Awesome stuff, and it looks as though you cooked it just right.
yep, it was perf medium rare inside but, for me, key is to render the fat enough so it it's still like velvety fatty but not just hot enough so it doesnt waste too funky.. i am guessing i'd cook prime to about 120 and let it rest, but this is more like 126 and let it rest to 130-132

i only do a5 1-2 times a year for very special meals. otherwise, i don't eat a lot of steak

Cheesy mushrooms? Do tell.
it's a very simple preparation. i just get button or cremini mushrooms and either slice them about 1/4" or even quarter and fry it up for 20-30min until all water is gone and they start to caramelize, then u add onions and took until both are caramelized, i deglaze with wostershire sauce and add thyme, cook another 2-3 min and add sour cream... and mix it and cook on low heat until it's sauce (but not watery) then waste for salt/pepper. and in the last 5 min, i add 3-5 slices of processed craft white singles cheese.. yes, it's crazy. i tried with other types, like 5-10 and all either too strong, or they separate, and just not as good imo.

I initially had this deal, when they add cream and put cheese over it and then roast in the oven as a gratin, but I modified it to cook on stove stop in 1 pot, to make it simpler, save on washing dishes, etc...

i sometimes just cook paste and mix it as 'sauce' and end up with very tasty and filling winter dish all on its own

Fasulye and pilaf is a dope duo. Cant beat!🔥 Great dish!🔥

Here is some Fasule (beans soup), dry aged beef (pasturma) & feta with oregano and a shot of homemade raki.

Attachments

• 5b8205da-6b2e-41e8-89df-0b24408c2741.jpeg
    5b8205da-6b2e-41e8-89df-0b24408c2741.jpeg
    659.9 KB · Views: 0
Home-made Finocchiona (Tuscan fennel salami). Eight weeks to 35% weight loss. (The larger one on the left is a Cremona Parmigiana, which will take a few more weeks to cure.)

1708296126854.jpeg

I'm happy with the way that turned out. Good bind, firm texture, absolutely no dry ring, and subtle fennel taste without overwhelming the fermented salami aromas.

IMG_6421.jpg

A recipe from your Canto Auntie’s cookbook

酸菜雞煲 Braised chicken with pickled mustard greens

IMG_3742.jpeg

IMG_3714.jpeg
IMG_3724.jpeg
IMG_3741.jpeg

Debut for the Sukehisa 360 and the Mikami 210 yanagibi with backup from its Nakiri sibling
If you decide to make this dish, Make sure you wash and soak the mustard greens a few times as it is very sour and salty

Attachments

• IMG_3742.jpeg
    IMG_3742.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

A recipe from your Canto Auntie’s cookbook

酸菜雞煲 Braised chicken with pickled mustard greens

View attachment 301583
View attachment 301580View attachment 301581View attachment 301582

Debut for the Sukehisa 360 and the Mikami 210 yanagibi with backup from its Nakiri sibling
If you decide to make this dish, Make sure you wash and soak the mustard greens a few times as it is very sour and salty
This is my kind of food. I admit to being confused about Chinese pickled mustard greens and pickled vegetables in general. Very frustrating if you love these various pickles, and what they can do to a dish. Seems like a bunch of different things get labeled as pickled mustard green, or as pickled cabbage. I only get to figure out what to use when people use some sort of standardized terminology:

Sichuan pickled vegetable - OK, I know I can find this in red and yellow cans, in bags in the occasional Chnese market and in a more modern ornate red sort of flat metal envelope (that one is milder and you can eat it by itself if you want, and sometimes I do)

Red-in-snow - if the recipe hadn't said "this is sold in cans as Ma Ling Pickled Vegetable," I'd probably still be looking for it.

A sort of squat brown ceramic canister with a bag of chopped brownish pickled vegetable inside. I think I know this as Tianjian Pickled Vegetable, and it's unlike anything else, and magic in the right recipe.

I think I've seen the pickled mustard green in your picture, in bags, with liquid, in the produce department of Chinese markets. I've never picked any up. I should. I've seen little packets labeled pickled mustard green, but the clear ones had no leaves in there, and the opaque ones, well, who knows what's in there.

I swear, if I saw a course that was "Spend two weeks in China for an English language course to completely explain Chinese pickled vegetables and their use in various dishes," I'd clear my schedule and drain my savings to attend.

This is my kind of food. I admit to being confused about Chinese pickled mustard greens and pickled vegetables in general. Very frustrating if you love these various pickles, and what they can do to a dish. Seems like a bunch of different things get labeled as pickled mustard green, or as pickled cabbage. I only get to figure out what to use when people use some sort of standardized terminology:

Sichuan pickled vegetable - OK, I know I can find this in red and yellow cans, in bags in the occasional Chnese market and in a more modern ornate red sort of flat metal envelope (that one is milder and you can eat it by itself if you want, and sometimes I do)

Red-in-snow - if the recipe hadn't said "this is sold in cans as Ma Ling Pickled Vegetable," I'd probably still be looking for it.

A sort of squat brown ceramic canister with a bag of chopped brownish pickled vegetable inside. I think I know this as Tianjian Pickled Vegetable, and it's unlike anything else, and magic in the right recipe.

I think I've seen the pickled mustard green in your picture, in bags, with liquid, in the produce department of Chinese markets. I've never picked any up. I should. I've seen little packets labeled pickled mustard green, but the clear ones had no leaves in there, and the opaque ones, well, who knows what's in there.

I swear, if I saw a course that was "Spend two weeks in China for an English language course to completely explain Chinese pickled vegetables and their use in various dishes," I'd clear my schedule and drain my savings to attend.
Sign me up too!

Add another month for a course on chinese junk food and snacks. Like the massive assortment of seafood flavored crunchy things unknown to western minds.

It can get very confusing
This dish uses suan cai - translated as sour vegetables it is the whole mustard plans brined and pickles
This is commonly used as a braise like this
https://yingchen.life/2021/07/12/cantonese-braised-chicken-with-suan-cai/

The pickled mustard stems (zha cai 榨菜) come typically in a can and are cut into thin shreds and cooked with
Shredded pork and served as a noodle soup or cut very thin and served with shredded pork shreds in a noodle soup zha cai rou shi mein 榨菜肉丝面
https://thewoksoflife.com/zha-cai-rousi-mian/

The red in snow cabbage (xuelihong 雪里红)
Is salted mustard green. The name is a poetic description of the red buds rising out of the early spring snow- literally red inside the snow-
This is not sour and quickly brined for a few days
I commonly stir fry this with shredded pork, pressed tofu, green soybeans (edamame) and bamboo shoots- I’ve made this myself from fresh mustard greens
https://www.food.com/recipe/stir-fry-mustard-greens-with-pork-and-dry-tofu-501776

Finally there is dried fermented mustard greens
Mei gan cai 梅乾菜 this is dark, brown, almost black, completely dried and found wrapped in plastic in the dried food section. This is usually cooked with pork belly or braised meats like in a clay pot.
https://thewoksoflife.com/pork-belly-pickled-mustard-greens-chinese/
It can be very confusing if you didn’t grow up eating these foods
Chinese have been playing with preservation for 4000 years
I’ve linked similar recipes to how I prepare them if you’re interested
Hope this helps a bit

Made the lotus root fondant. Forgot to take a picture till my son in law polished off the first one.

It was okay but I thought the daikon was much better. The lotus root turned a little too starchy for my taste.
View attachment 301621
I love lotus root in soups and curries
They stay crunchy even after braising

It can get very confusing
This dish uses suan cai - translated as sour vegetables it is the whole mustard plans brined and pickles
This is commonly used as a braise like this
https://yingchen.life/2021/07/12/cantonese-braised-chicken-with-suan-cai/

The pickled mustard stems (zha cai 榨菜) come typically in a can and are cut into thin shreds and cooked with
Shredded pork and served as a noodle soup or cut very thin and served with shredded pork shreds in a noodle soup zha cai rou shi mein 榨菜肉丝面
https://thewoksoflife.com/zha-cai-rousi-mian/

The red in snow cabbage (xuelihong 雪里红)
Is salted mustard green. The name is a poetic description of the red buds rising out of the early spring snow- literally red inside the snow-
This is not sour and quickly brined for a few days
I commonly stir fry this with shredded pork, pressed tofu, green soybeans (edamame) and bamboo shoots- I’ve made this myself from fresh mustard greens
https://www.food.com/recipe/stir-fry-mustard-greens-with-pork-and-dry-tofu-501776

Finally there is dried fermented mustard greens
Mei gan cai 梅乾菜 this is dark, brown, almost black, completely dried and found wrapped in plastic in the dried food section. This is usually cooked with pork belly or braised meats like in a clay pot.
https://thewoksoflife.com/pork-belly-pickled-mustard-greens-chinese/
It can be very confusing if you didn’t grow up eating these foods
Chinese have been playing with preservation for 4000 years
I’ve linked similar recipes to how I prepare them if you’re interested
Hope this helps a bit
Thank you. This is very helpful.

Back