Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For new years main, reverse seared picanha roast. 6 hours at 60c in oven, then 6 minutes at 280c to brown.
Served with pan fried shallots and aspargus on top of a buttery porcini polenta. Bordelaise sauce spooned over.

View attachment 291383View attachment 291387View attachment 291385
Inaugurated my giant carving board slicing this.

View attachment 291386

Walking from kitchen to table the shallots slid off to the sides of the plate, annoyingly. But was delicious nonetheless.
View attachment 291384
So sorry that I saw the invite too late ;-)

looks stellar! and I'm sure that Gouden Carolus went well with it.

Uygur beef, stir fried potato strips, broccoli

20240104_201338.jpg

So sorry that I saw the invite too late ;-)

looks stellar! and I'm sure that Gouden Carolus went well with it.
You are very welcome to join next year on the condition you promise not to speak any Dutch.
I was quite nervous about it actually, as I've never reverse seared a roast before. But checking every once in a while during the last hour with a thermapen made it quite easy. Not all my guests were into red wine, so the Gouden Carolus was for them, it matched very well.

Thanks for the invite ;-)
Danish and Dutch are closer than you might think ;-) (I've visited Denmark for work quite a bit, and always find it interesting how well I can read the language but how little spoken Danish I understand)

I used Mary Berry's recipe, wasn't as good as I'd hoped,. Needed to be thicker and cheesier

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cheese_fondue_19650
you may want to find great Emmenthal and Gruyere, rather than a different recipe...I just read it and it looks quite OK! (except for the lemon juice, yet that may depend on what wine you choose)

If you want it thicker use a bit more corn starch, if you want cheesier go stinkier (read raw milk, organic , small farm etc)
(I like my fondue with aged Austrian Rasskäse, most folks walk away)

Ma la xiang guo (麻辣香锅), spicy numbing stir-fry pot, from a Woks of Life recipe.

This takes a bit of time to make due to the large number of ingredients. But the result was totally worth it, spicy (but not stupid hot), with a lot of flavours and textures. (Don't leave out the lotus root!) I'll definitely make this again.

Making infused oil:

IMG_6287.jpg

The remainder of the ingredients. I didn't have cabbage around, so I used Bok Choi instead. I also added about 300 g of chuck mince that I had left over from making hamburgers. Instead of tofu bean threads, I used very firm fried tofu cubes.

IMG_6290.jpg

Making the hot pot sauce:

IMG_6291.jpg

Adding aromatics:

IMG_6293.jpg

Plus the remainder of the ingredients:

IMG_6294.jpg

All done:

IMG_6295.jpg

And served with rice and wakame salad:

IMG_6300.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the invite ;-)
Danish and Dutch are closer than you might think ;-) (I've visited Denmark for work quite a bit, and always find it interesting how well I can read the language but how little spoken Danish I understand)
Same when I went to Amsterdam and Rotterdam for vacation a little while back.

Inspired by the first snow and @MowgFace
Winter is braising season
IMG_3139.jpeg

IMG_3140.jpeg

Deboned a pork shoulder with Isasmedjan 150 Honesuki
Love this robust nimble little dagger
IMG_3150.jpeg
IMG_3151.jpeg

Portioned the shoulder and some belly with Radiona Breg 330 Sujihiki- my version of a lifted truck. Massive, authoritative and sharp
IMG_3160.jpeg

红烧肉 Braised pork shoulder and belly with carrots and daikon
IMG_3168.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3141.jpeg
    IMG_3141.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ma la xiang guo (麻辣香锅), spicy numbing stir-fry pot, from a Woks of Life recipe.

This takes a bit of time to make due to the large number of ingredients. But the result was totally worth it, spicy (but not stupid hot), with a lot of flavours and textures. (Don't leave out the lotus root!) I'll definitely make this again.

Making infused oil:

View attachment 291460

The remainder of the ingredients. I didn't have cabbage around, so I used Bok Choi instead. I also added about 300 g of chuck mince that I had left over from making hamburgers. Instead of tofu bean threads, I used very firm fried tofu cubes.

View attachment 291462

Making the hot pot sauce:

View attachment 291464

Adding aromatics:

View attachment 291465

Plus the remainder of the ingredients:

View attachment 291466

All done:

View attachment 291467

And served with rice and wakame salad:

View attachment 291468
@Michi , that looks so interesting and delicious! I love recipies with lots of ingredients. They train the patience and the skill to organize.

Inspired by the first snow and @MowgFace
Winter is braising season
View attachment 291477
View attachment 291484
Deboned a pork shoulder with Isasmedjan 150 Honesuki
Love this robust nimble little dagger
View attachment 291479View attachment 291480
Portioned the shoulder and some belly with Radiona Breg 330 Sujihiki- my version of a lifted truck. Massive, authoritative and sharp
View attachment 291482

红烧肉 Braised pork shoulder and belly with carrots and daikonView attachment 291483

:LOL:

started on my biannual bolognese batch
1. rendering guanciale
2. veggies in 8qt rondeau
3. meat in 16qt (19.2lbs total)

if it comes out nice (i am doing a few things different, ill break it down when it's ready, 5-6hrs later)
this is about 4.5hrs later in the oven...

I did few things different... instead of breaking up and browining the meat, i put it in hot water (2" deep) and used potatoe masher to break it up. i then let it sit about 2 min in there and then broke it up more and drained... all 19lbs of meat like that. it had very nice benefit of staying separate and very tender.

i also didnt add fresh herbs, only dried for the last hour of cooking. and garlic, i chopped 3 heads, roasted inside olive oil for 90 min separately, and then added it last 30 minutes into the pot.

flavor is very nice, but texture is superior to my previous ones and was much easier to mix it up, etc

Attachments

• 2024-01-06 20.13.17.jpg
    2024-01-06 20.13.17.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
@Lars as our resident Mexican....

Tortillas are made with corn flour, and as I understand it that has to be 'Nixtamalized'....I have found it online but do not see it in any regular shop...precooked corn flour (PAN brand) in white and yellow is all.

I'll give it a whirl until the nixtamalizada has arrived but is that even any good (it feels like a thick polenta rather than a dough)?

Tortillas are made with corn flour, and as I understand it that has to be
You can make tortillas from wheat flour, which are "authentic" to certain parts of Northern Mexico, where wheat is grown.
Interesting history:
Exiled Jews, who came to Mexico in the late 1400s, considered corn to be non kosher because it was fed to pigs. They introduced flour tortillas, which mimicked flatbread they were used to making from wheat flour and/or chick peas.

Plenty of recipes online or YouTube .
Key is finding the right lard or alternate fat...

Tortillas are made with corn flour, and as I understand it that has to be 'Nixtamalized'....I have found it online but do not see it in any regular shop...precooked corn flour (PAN brand) in white and yellow is all.

I'll give it a whirl until the nixtamalizada has arrived but is that even any good (it feels like a thick polenta rather than a dough)?

Masa Harena is readily available in the states. Can you get it over there?

This is the most common one around here:
https://www.safeway.com/shop/produc...u8U3faDFdiJm_S6pbGMaAkH3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Check out Mexgrocer Europe - Mexican Groceries Online, Food, Drinks, Vegan & Gluten Free Ingredients Available, EU - they are local to you.

I can highly recommend the masa harina from Naturelo, it has much better flavor and aroma than the more commenly available Maseca brand.

Here is a link to the good stuff.

For new years main, reverse seared picanha roast. 6 hours at 60c in oven, then 6 minutes at 280c to brown.
Served with pan fried shallots and aspargus on top of a buttery porcini polenta. Bordelaise sauce spooned over.

View attachment 291383View attachment 291387View attachment 291385
Inaugurated my giant carving board slicing this.

View attachment 291386

Walking from kitchen to table the shallots slid off to the sides of the plate, annoyingly. But was delicious nonetheless.
View attachment 291384
Looks great, and that beer as well!!

Back