Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A restaurant friend gave us a gift of some fresh fish yesterday. I played around with some ideas and this is what I came up with....

Toro tartare with a quail egg yolk...not particularly original..

IMG_2993.jpg

Albacore with fermented black beans, a pickled cherry creme fraiche and some tempura rock shrimp

IMG_2974.jpg

Littleneck clam ceviche with a fried squash blossom

IMG_2978.jpg

Well, you might as well as close down this thread, what Neal just posted just blew my mind. Nice work bra!

I made steak fried rice today, nothing fancy it was seasened with some soy suace and that's about it.

I've been lurking this thread for a long time but just never seem to have my camera on hand when I'm cooking.
Well, the other morning I was shooting for PT (Rick)'s Harner passaround and I kept the camera out long enough to catch breakfast:

Nothing "fine or fancy" ; but just plain & good:
When I'm just cooking for myself, I often do 1 knife, 1 pan, 1 bowl meals.
I started off with bacon in a carbon pan, then removed the bacon and used some grease to fry the home-fries mix: purple potatos, onion, garlic, Chinese lantern peppers.
Then a some eggs over easy with smoked sharp cheddar.

Then into a big bowl went the potato's, eggs, and topped with a little more cheese, avocado, yellow tomato, the bacon, s&p and a dash of balsamic.

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

That's a breakfast I would defnitely order in a restaurant - except for the evil avocado, of course (one of the few food items I hate...). And nice pics, too.

Stefan

What?! Does this extend to guacamole?

Yep, just one of the few food items that don't agree with me, I get sick when I eat avocado. Interestingly, my Mom has the same issues, maybe some genetic quirk.

Stefan

A quick post-ride lunch. Fritatta of leftover green beans, mushrooms, chicken, topped with gruyere and pepper; in the new-ish DeBuyer.
30ebeb7c.jpg

Bulldogbacchus is generously passing around his Mike Davis gyuto from this thread. The knife came today, so what better way to try it out making chicken ponzu.

First, bell pepper and celery.

814d41fc.jpg

Then, mushrooms.

962ced8f.jpg

Carrots and sugar snap peas.

e96994cd.jpg

Chicken (yeah, it's a bamboo board, but I only use it for chicken).

13acf9a8.jpg

The chicken, tossed in cornstarch.

a15c52a0.jpg

All the veggies in the pan. Not shown is garlic and green onions.

4e83d2c9.jpg

Add a mixture of cornstarch, ponzu sauce, oyster sauce, water, brown sugar, and a dash of sesame oil. Cook until thickened. Serve over rice.

Top with sliced green onion tops.

Finis.

4d7d496d.jpg

I have, and will continue, to hate on bamboo boards as much as I can. But I do remember that chicken slipped a lot less on it than on any other board.

The knife hardly screamed at all.
:scratchhead: If there is a pun there, I don't get it. :dontknow:

Dinner tonight was something I've been craving: Sweet Green Curry!
2012-07-26%252015.56.07.jpg

2012-07-26%252018.17.16.jpg

The light in my house is terrible for pictures. But it was fantastic, and my daughters ate the heck out of it, because I made theirs totally non-spicy.

The smell of lime leaves simmering in coconut milk gives me a serious food boner.

:scratchhead: If there is a pun there, I don't get it. :dontknow:

Dinner tonight was something I've been craving: Sweet Green Curry!
2012-07-26%252015.56.07.jpg

2012-07-26%252018.17.16.jpg

The light in my house is terrible for pictures. But it was fantastic, and my daughters ate the heck out of it, because I made theirs totally non-spicy.

The smell of lime leaves simmering in coconut milk gives me a serious food boner.

That looks fantastic, Eamon! Was the dragon fruit for the curry or for snacking?

Hi Eamon,

I was taught to cut up the lime leaves into small pieces and add just before you take it off the heat. Would you please explain how you are using the leaves.

Yes I agree the smell of these leaves is stimulating!!
:wink:

Thanks!!!!

Yeah the dragon fruit was for splitting with my babies. They loved it!

I just bruised the lime leaves and added them to the pot with the curry paste and last veggies. I know it's not exactly traditional order, but I had to mix some things up. Since I can only get canned coconut milk, it won't break, so I have to cook the chicken in coconut oil itself, and there is no insulation for the curry paste mix, the oil will just burn it. Given the fresh herb nature, I opted to cook the chicken, then add the coconut milk, heat it up, then add in the eggplant and pepper with the lime leaves, and after it softened, I put in the curry paste, and some basil stems, lemongrass scraps, zest, and a few more lime leaves and turned my stove down as low as it would go, for as long as it took to cook the rice.

We ate a LOT of curry last night.

Back