Whats your most expensive hobby?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never had expensive hobbies besides collecting way too many knives ...

Bikes? I have a 1500€ bike that the Irish government covered 500€ off. Performs just as well as a 8000€ bike. It’s more about the rider than the bike.

Audio? I couldn’t care less. It’s music. Spotify in car or with AirPods Pro that I got for free (miles my wife accumulated with business travel).

Corona has shown me one thing: what I want to spend money on is traveling. A lot. More. I don’t care much about “things” anymore. Honestly: I’d sell all my knives to fund travel if I had to (and could travel). I’d be fine with a CCK, Tanaka Ginsan and a cheap Parer ...
My kids are grown, I have a bit of extra money now, but until my youngest hit 22 my favorite "hobby" was funding their higher education. Until that was sorted, I spent as little as I could on anything like a hobby. Living in the US as a middle class single parent, that was a scary number.

No bikes, no cameras, not much travel either. I got by with an old wusthoff 10" chef's knife and a mac vegetable knife someone had given me. But what I did do, living in NYC, was to develop a large family dinner crew. I have always made dinners for dozens at a time, very few blood relatives, and my kids got to experience cultures and new ideas at our dinner table. That's still my most enduring, and most beloved, hobby.

After I retired I had planned on traveling. First trip planned was to see my daughter and her boyfriend in Guam. Then Covid hit and now I haven’t seen my daughter in person in almost a year and a half. I feel fortunate we live in this time of technology so I can at least see her beautiful face when I talk to her. It really does suck though not being able to give her a hug. Another hobby that I was really into for a few years was cooking. I still enjoy it but when it’s just the two of us I find it less enjoyable. Hopefully when we all get vaccinated and can gather I’ll jump back into cooking. I have a water smoker like to smoke meat and fish on. Right now it’s just hanging out in the shop and making stuff. Or hanging out in my audio room and listening to music.

My most expensive hobby now is headphones/personal audio equipment which is in line with a lot of people here :). I recently got a new amp and pair of headphones and they're sick! Love how the Focal Clears sound with the Luxman amp (the HD800S is a loaner and not mine... yet).

_DSC0283.jpg

_DSC0285.jpg

After headphones it's probably photography. I haven't splurged on a serious modern lens yet, but love pairing nice vintage Zeiss lenses with my A7RII. I used to shoot a lot more film but film and lab costs rack up so I try to only shoot film when I'm seriously in the mood. I'm currently taking a photography class as on of my college courses right now and it's gotten me to think a lot more about why I'm taking a picture and how to be more creative. I like the class a lot because there's actually very little focus on formal composition or rules but the professor urges us a lot to think about what we want to do and what we want to capture. It's a lot of fun and motivates me to get out and shoot.

My cheapest and maybe most satisfying hobby is probably exercising. I do a lot of triathlon training and other than my bike and running shoes it's not too bad!

There's something about audio, bikes, watches, and cameras (I've never understood watches, but I'm happy with my Garmin Fenix 5 Plus) . No idea why so many of us are drawn to them, but here we are :).

There's something about audio, bikes, watches, and cameras (I've never understood watches, but I'm happy with my Garmin Fenix 5 Plus) . No idea why so many of us are drawn to them, but here we are :).

Watches are actually easy to explain, or rather their appeal...

- They are marvels of mechanical precision. The idea that a watch can (quite) accurately tell the time while being powered by your movement is quite intriguing. And that doesn’t even include complications

- It’s a piece of jewelry that is widely accepted as a classic for men. Now, generally I don’t care about what society thinks of how I dress (quite colorfully in my case, I hate black), but it’s an aspect.

- They are often considered heirloom pieces that are handed down from father to son. I hope my son will be interested, but if he doesn’t I’m happy to carry the few watches I own for the rest of my life. I have an old Seiko Turtle that was made the month I was born, I find that quite intriguing. But I understand if others don’t.

- It’s a “slow me down” piece in a fast and rapidly changing world. It actually calms me to see the second hand move.

- Some are true pieces of art, just like some knives are ...

Today for no good reason at all I ordered these Audiovetor R3 Arreté speakers. Will get them in a few days and do A/B with my current SR3 Signature model.

Still kinda kicking myself for doing it as I am very happy with my setup as is. But maybe this will make me happier...

230701.jpg

Yeah my collecting of everything has dropped off to a standstill. Found myself looking at tower loud speakers that don't need so can totally relate to Damageink. My psb towers are
Fine mostly for watching TV.

CMC is a German company they were making
models in Germany that were better than average diecast. Then they took operation to China early to mid 2000's producing models with cheap labor mostly women. These are diecast at it's finest.

I got most of these 2008-2015. Goldilocks period where cheap labor they sold 200-400 dollar range. Not cheap but to me they were
well worth the price. I have seen models on eBay asking almost double what I paid.

Always wanted a Alfa Romeo early 1930's grand prix car. CMC never made one. They are important cars in racing history.

Now in 2021 announced they are making 1000
models of the Alfa. Pre order price 585.00
I know all the 1920's & 30's race cars I bought
were 200-325$ range all are awesome.

By relationship, I mean "why are so many knife people into these other things?" It seems like more than coincidence that those 3 (photography, watches, audio) are so hugely popular here. Or maybe those are just the most popular fancy-type hobbies among human males. Idk.
I was heavy into photography for many years but have never been into watches. Audio is a big passion of mine and has been since I was a young teen. The thing about this knife hobby and this place is that people are here for many different reasons. I’m not here because I have a passion for nice knives, I’m here because I started making knives. And I wanted to understand what knife enthusiasts were into. Some people here are chefs so knives are a tool for work. And some people just like having nice things, whatever those things might be. I appreciate a nice knife and nice things in general. And I’ve learned a lot here but I don’t consider myself a knife nerd.

Watches, cars, photography are all things of the past. My new most expensive hobby by a mile is home renovation. At least this hobby adds value to more than just myself.

My most expensive hobby now is headphones/personal audio equipment which is in line with a lot of people here :). I recently got a new amp and pair of headphones and they're sick! Love how the Focal Clears sound with the Luxman amp (the HD800S is a loaner and not mine... yet).

View attachment 116311

View attachment 116312

After headphones it's probably photography. I haven't splurged on a serious modern lens yet, but love pairing nice vintage Zeiss lenses with my A7RII. I used to shoot a lot more film but film and lab costs rack up so I try to only shoot film when I'm seriously in the mood. I'm currently taking a photography class as on of my college courses right now and it's gotten me to think a lot more about why I'm taking a picture and how to be more creative. I like the class a lot because there's actually very little focus on formal composition or rules but the professor urges us a lot to think about what we want to do and what we want to capture. It's a lot of fun and motivates me to get out and shoot.

My cheapest and maybe most satisfying hobby is probably exercising. I do a lot of triathlon training and other than my bike and running shoes it's not too bad!

how do you compare the HD800s vs the Clear. I got a Clear Professional (extra ear-pad is more useful IMO). I wanted to give the Drop HD8XX a go but was afraid it's too similar to the Clear.

how do you compare the HD800s vs the Clear. I got a Clear Professional (extra ear-pad is more useful IMO). I wanted to give the Drop HD8XX a go but was afraid it's too similar to the Clear.

I don't really think the HD800S and Focal Clear Pros don't sound similar at all. The soundstage on the HD800S is significantly wider and deeper than on the Clears and gives a completely different presentation of the music. Also they're a lot more transparent sounding and less engaging if that makes sense. If you've listened to Stax e-stats before it's kind of a similar feeling although not as dramatic. The frq response is also pretty different in that the HD800S have a ot more treble sparkle and don't do vocals as well imo. The HD800S are still absolutely great but I ended up going with the Clears. At the end of the day the HD800S are definitely different enough to the Clears that they're worth a try.

they're a lot more transparent sounding and less engaging if that makes sense
I know what you mean, very clean and very analytic, sterile sound. This with the wide soundstage must make the HD800s a heaven for jazz and classical. But too analytic (plus the spark in treble) may be very fatigue to listen for a long session, I normally listen 5 - 6 hours per day. Did you experience this while testing the 800s?

I would love to A/B test them but i haven't found the shop that have both, neither do i have a decent protable source+amp.

I normally listen 5 - 6 hours per day. Did you experience this while testing the 800s?

I didnt find them fatiguing, but I don't think I've ever found any headphones fatiguing, so I might not be the best judge. I also listened to them on a very synergystic amp/dac combo (luxman p1u and nuforce something I can't recall rn) that is pretty warm. I think they also sound great for edm and pop, but that might just be me.

but i haven't found the shop that have both

I ordered a pair off amazon to try them with their very generous return policy. I didn't have any troubles! I did intend to keep them if they were better than the Clears. I think that headphones.com explicitly states that they accept headphone returns are okay if you're just auditioning them. Double check that though.

Usually mountain bikes, but far and away the most costly is working on our house... Currently putting in a new septic system and we're 90% complete with a full kitchen redo

OMG!!! Incredible - how much do these cars go for individually?

It varies prices have doubled on many of them since mid 2000's. Prices asked on eBay. Even when I bought would search car I was interested in so that broadens search quite a bit. Brand new models from CMC in China have gone up but not as much I pre-ordered the 1933
Alfa Romeo P3 about 7 months ago. All the great grand prix cars they made mostly German
Silver Arrows from 1930's also Auto Union. The silver racers of early 1950's. CMC is a German company. They have made awesome Ferrari & Maserati GP race cars.

Alfa Romeo was dominate in early 1930's unseating Bugatti from 1920's. Yet CMC never made one. The preorder cost me 585.00 still waiting. I know if they made that model in mid 2000's it would cost around 350.00.

Back