When does J-knife collecting become a sickness?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a problem.
The feeling of getting a new knife is like a drug. I am addicted to knives. I know a lot of people that loves knives and that make me want to buy more knives. I had to leave a friend chat because of that, I was passing more time talking about knives instead of talking to my wife. It turned in a obsession, many can call it hobby, but for me is not.
Have more than 100 knives and everyday I am planning in sell 50 of them but I end up not doing it.
Only one thing I am sure that the day I will become a father I will certainly keep only 35. That is the promise I did to myself and my future family [emoji128].

A2kybi2.gif

I have a problem.
The feeling of getting a new knife is like a drug. I am addicted to knives. I know a lot of people that loves knives and that make me want to buy more knives. I had to leave a friend chat because of that, I was passing more time talking about knives instead of talking to my wife. It turned in a obsession, many can call it hobby, but for me is not.
Have more than 100 knives and everyday I am planning in sell 50 of them but I end up not doing it.
Only one thing I am sure that the day I will become a father I will certainly keep only 35. That is the promise I did to myself and my future family [emoji128].

Man, when I became a father the whole knife buying addiction graduated to a different level.... I’d say it jumped three levels at once.

Good luck lol

Man, when I became a father the whole knife buying addiction graduated to a different level.... I’d say it jumped three levels at once.

Good luck lol
I only started because I became a stay at home dad and yeah good luck Prezzio, I think the "sickness" takes on a whole new level once you have kids

Good luck lol

Absolutely this. For me it started with guitars and when that got out of hand switched to knives. Must be a distraction or something

Yeah, I went through like 8 different ones. Before that I tried 5 different KS gyutos.
I mean that’s a totally normal thing to do though.

Why do you do it? Honest question.

Are the KS and Gengetsu two knives that particularly rock your boat and have you kept the best of the best of the best? And, if so, are they a part of your knife roll and if not, why not?

Labor, you're in a unique position in that, not many people I know of have the opportunity to test a bunch the same knives—except for maybe Ashy2Classy and his six Mazakis or Preizzo and his giant herd of unused unicorns collecting dust.

Valuable info you have, would love to know which KS and Gengetsu beat out the rest and why. What's your current fancy with knives?

Are the KS and Gengetsu two knives that particularly rock your boat and have you kept the best of the best of the best? And, if so, are they a part of your knife roll and if not, why not?

Labor, you're in a unique position in that, not many people I know of have the opportunity to test a bunch the same knives—except for maybe Ashy2Classy and his six Mazakis or Preizzo and his giant herd of unused unicorns collecting dust.

Valuable info you have, would love to know which KS and Gengetsu beat out the rest and why. What's your current fancy with knives?
Always using all of my knives. [emoji6][emoji6][emoji8]

Absolutely this. For me it started with guitars and when that got out of hand switched to knives. Must be a distraction or something
Jon, what guitars did you have? I was into international sourcing for vintage guitars, amps and tubes up to about 8 years ago before everything fell to ****.

Jon, what guitars did you have? I was into international sourcing for vintage guitars, amps and tubes up to about 8 years ago before everything fell to ****.

I’ve resisted vintage stuff, but only because the prices are so crazy these days. I’ve bought and sold dozens over the years but the collection has sort of settled on a few nice USA made examples of the major players: PRS (McCarty and Floyd Cu 24), Fender (strat and tele), Gibson (LP and ES-335). It’s strange, I was buying and selling like mad but once I got those the collection sort of seems complete to me now and I lost the bug. I doubt I’ll ever sell those ones. I have a few other acoustics, a bass and a 7 string for noodling around on that I’m not too attached to though. I would’ve saved myself a lot of hassle if I just bought the good stuff to begin with, but where’s the fun in that I guess.

I see my knife collecting following a similar trajectory as I find out what I like.

You would think. But then they would have to be just the right strength or they may be too hard to remove or serve no purpose. It’s not like a magnetic strip on the wall where you can roll the knives off. It seems like there won’t be enough room.
Actually, it works quite well, it's made from existing commercial magnetic blocks, all fastened to a maple cutting board. I'll get a pic of it loaded when I get to the computer again

Just kidding ofcourse.

im still chasing the gengetsu I bought back in 2012ish. Still looking for it. Anybody got an old school gengetsu they want to let go of?
With regards to the KS, I bought a bunch to see if their was variance but their isn’t. All new batches look exactly the same.
I like Kaeru more than the KS, but I still haven’t tried a swed stainless version so I’m considering checking one out. They can be had for $350 if you know where to look.
Just received a Yoshikane sld and Kippington laser. They’re both a lotta fun to use.

Just kidding ofcourse.

im still chasing the gengetsu I bought back in 2012ish. Still looking for it. Anybody got an old school gengetsu they want to let go of?
With regards to the KS, I bought a bunch to see if their was variance but their isn’t. All new batches look exactly the same.
I like Kaeru more than the KS, but I still haven’t tried a swed stainless version so I’m considering checking one out. They can be had for $350 if you know where to look.
Just received a Yoshikane sld and Kippington laser. They’re both a lotta fun to use.

Post a pic of your Kip laser, very curious, more familiar with his pony and horse. I’ve never owned a laser, closest I’ve gotten was a Kono Fuji, which I sold. Have wanted a laser recently, maybe an Ikkanshi Tadatsuna if I can find one or a Ginga. Do you use the Kip laser for work, or prefer more mid weight knives on the job?

Keen to know what you tnink of the Kip laser. Mine is very thin behind the edge, less so at the heel end of the spine but with an extreme taper. Performs sort of like Akebono but thinner behind the edge and more taper (so more laser- like in the distal half). Noted that the grind is concave, wheras Akebono is convex.

Is your Yoshi the thin version or the workhorse version?

Keen to know what you tnink of the Kip laser. Mine is very thin behind the edge, less so at the heel end of the spine but with an extreme taper. Performs sort of like Akebono but thinner behind the edge and more taper (so more laser- like in the distal half). Noted that the grind is concave, wheras Akebono is convex.

Is your Yoshi the thin version or the workhorse version?
I wasn’t aware that they’re 2 versions of the yoshi sld. You’re referring to the suminagashi line right?
The vendor told me that wa and western were exact same blades but I was skeptical.

Post a pic of your Kip laser, very curious, more familiar with his pony and horse. I’ve never owned a laser, closest I’ve gotten was a Kono Fuji, which I sold. Have wanted a laser recently, maybe an Ikkanshi Tadatsuna if I can find one or a Ginga. Do you use the Kip laser for work, or prefer more mid weight knives on the job?
Try to find a hiromoto bolsterless honyaki, this thing is awesome after you tweak it.

Back