Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
hello, looking to pick up a flexible fillet knife for fish and narrowed it down to these 3.

1.) Burgvogel (messermeister) oliva elite flexible fillet knife, 18cm. Pros: made in Solingen, beautiful handle.
Steel: X50CrMoV15

2.) Shun Classic 7 inch flexible fillet knife.
Steel: AUS8A

3.) Global G-18 24cm flexible fillet knife.
Steel: CROMOVA 18 Stainless Steel

All look like solid options so i think it comes down to the steel type and grind. Anyone have insight in how these steels compare? And the grind and geometry on the knives? Any suggestion? My primary concern is having the sharpest knife possible to easily fillet tough fish.
Thank you

Last edited:
Can't speak to the Messermeister. Definitely lose the Shun. And lose the Global.

I do most at home fish work with a deba (since my involvement here). Have kept some variant of a Dexter Russell flexible fillet in my tackle box for 40+ years. Works fine, lasts a long time.

Can't speak to the Messermeister. Definitely lose the Shun. And lose the Global.

I do most at home fish work with a deba (since my involvement here). Have kept some variant of a Dexter Russell flexible fillet in my tackle box for 40+ years. Works fine, lasts a long time.
what do you have against the shun and global?

They are both pretty horrible to sharpen. I would rather take an ass whipping than ever sharpen a Global again. The Shun especially is ill suited for the fillet task.

For a fillet I'm inclined to either go cheap with DR, Vnox or the like, OR go with a nice knife, 200ish and up.

Unless you're getting into deba's and such, why would steel and grind be that important in a flexible fillet knife? By definition they're going to be thin and as for steel, in this type of application, they should be relatively soft.

Rapala, F. Dick, Dexter, etc. are all proven workhorses.

Are you wanting a "nicer" type knife for the task or something?

I think all of the 3 are in the category of 'knife makers that just added a fillet knife to the line up', but not necessarily ground breaking in performance. They might not necessarily perform worse than the more utilitarian knives, but also not necessarily any better.

As mentioned above, it's worth at least taking a look at the bigger brands like Marttiini, Rapala, Mora, Victorinox, Dexter Russel, F. Dick. There's good reason's most fish in the world is dissassembled with these brands.
Personally I'm quite content about my Mora Companion Fishing Fillet 155. Yes, plastic handles, but for fishy stuff that's often not necessarily a bad thing.

What's the intended usecase anyway if I may ask?

Latest posts

Back