Your dream knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you were able to get a custom knife from any of the top knife makers (i.e. Kamon, Yanick, isasmedijan, joel black, The9, Mialan, etc) what kind of knife would you ask for?
What will be the shape, dimension, weight, and finish would you go for?

PXL_20210331_010431201.jpg

But for something I don't have this bad boy in my dimensions and with the balance I like would be very cool CPM 15v Laser — Triple B Handmade

Lots of triple B in here...speaking of, can't believe I got this for $170. My buddy just tested his at right around 65hrc as seen here . Excited to test out a new to me steel. Maybe one day I too would be able to try a custom.

View attachment 214512
Very cool, but you’ve got to show the other side too.

145SC honyaki from Bryan Raquin. 231x52, middle grind between KT and laser, migaki not KU. I haven’t tried the newest super steels, and I’m gonna, but I still bet I’ll end up going back to simple carbon.

The best cutting knife I had a chance to use to-date was a 240 Shig in kasumi that was on the lighter-weight side (don't recall the weight). So something along those lines.

If we're talking complete fantasy knives I'd probably say a @DevinT Vanadis 8 san mai wa gyuto around 235 x 54 ~230 g. That isn't quite as never going to happen as the Kippingtons in CPM CruWear, MagnaCut, or REX121 but still seems highly unlikely.

On the less of a complete fantasy level Kippington WH in either Nitro-V or whatever stainless he 's using these days or 52100 (similar dimensions to above). A MagnaCut LeSeur would also be tempting. I've never used or handled a Xerxes, Bazes, or Bidinger so I don't really know if they'd be on my elite maker list or not but I'm certainly curious.

Even though Magnacut has been out for a while, one thing I haven't seen on the market is a true laser that emphasize thin geometry throughout (a la Shibata Koutetsu). Not sure it has to do with the stock bar thickness or grinding difficulty. Or just simply consumer buying supersteel customs favors food separation by far. But so far I see lots of mid to heavy weight, some s grinds even, but no pure lasers. That would be a potential game ending knife for me, as far as function is concerned.

Even though Magnacut has been out for a while, one thing I haven't seen on the market is a true laser that emphasize thin geometry throughout (a la Shibata Koutetsu). Not sure it has to do with the stock bar thickness or grinding difficulty. Or just simply consumer buying supersteel customs favors food separation by far. But so far I see lots of mid to heavy weight, some s grinds even, but no pure lasers. That would be a potential game ending knife for me, as far as function is concerned.
What is your definition of a laser? @MSicardCutlery has had a number of MagnaCut knives posted where the spine was 2.4mm thick at the ferrule and thinning from there. That is only a few tenths of a mm thicker than the Shibata Koutetsu knives. You probably could specify "extra thin" starting from the available 0.101"/~2.56mm flat stock from him or one of the other makers.

What is your definition of a laser? @MSicardCutlery has had a number of MagnaCut knives posted where the spine was 2.4mm thick at the ferrule and thinning from there. That is only a few tenths of a mm thicker than the Shibata Koutetsu knives. You probably could specify "extra thin" starting from the available 0.101"/~2.56mm flat stock from him or one of the other makers.
I don't have a caliper, but I'm looking for the thinnest grind at all parts of the bevel. The spine, midsection and behind the edge. My real world test would be something like halving hard produces like a pumpkin. The less amount of effort I have to spend, the better. So far among my knives, that best ones are Ashi ginga, Koutetsu, and Makoto Sakura.

Since we are talking about dream knives here, I am really hoping MagnaCut's property can allow for an even thinner grind than aebl or sg2 san mais while still retaining adequate rigidity.

Thanks for the suggestion though, looking at the measurement and the choil shots in his posts, I think it comes pretty close actually. I guess the only way is to buy one and try it out. Alas this will be a project for next year, since I've already way overspent the budget...

Since we are talking about dream knives here, I am really hoping MagnaCut's property can allow for an even thinner grind than aebl or sg2 san mais while still retaining adequate rigidity.
It is unlikely that MagnaCut will allow you to make a thinner grind knife than AEB-L, they have about the same toughness at high hardness. Rigidity as opposite of flexibility is controlled by geometry so same dimensioned knives in both steels will have the same rigidity. What you will get from MagnaCut though is longer lasting edge holding and better corrosion resistance as compared to the same dimensioned knife in AEB-L.

Back