Your favourite size Gyuto and why ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your favourite size Gyuto and why ?

• Total voters

Chseifert

Reaction score
I’m a newbie here, and this question has probably been asked a 1000 times before.

But if you can only ask questions, that has never been asked before , any forum will die out pretty fast.

My favourite gyuto size is 20-21 cm and not the size most favours, the 24 cm.

Why ?
I rarely cut things, where I’m limited by the 20-21 size, and when I rarely cut huge things like a butternut squash or a head of cabbage I’ll reach for my Wüsthof Classic Ikon 23 cm or my Miyabi Artisan 24 cm gyuto.

But day in day out, the 20-21 cm gyuto will be more than enough in 99% of the tasks I have in the kitchen.

What size gyuto do you prefer and why ?

I perfectly understand, that in professional settings, a 24 cm is better and more all round.
But I’m not working in a professional setting.

Cheers, Claus

Depends on my mood and the task at hand. I can't say that I have a favorite, or even strong leanings. There are lengths I use more frequently and ones I use less, but that doesn't mean that I prefer the former.

250-260mm. It just get the job done well. Also I learned my knife skills with a 10" forschner so it's just what I'm trained to use. A 210mm is adequate for me for smaller things and cooking at home. I think a 165mm-180mm nakiri actually pairs well with a 210mm well. It gives you a similar flat spot of a 240mm.

this question has probably been asked a 1000 times before.
Hi Claus, yes we did have a recent thread on this, and the result then was a preference for 225mm. Though there was some bias in the way the poll was set up... Just as there is some bias in your poll..

As in, no 180mm nor a 225. I’m actually interested in hearing how many people use a 195mm gyuto, since my 165mm mini gyuto by Munetoshi (a petty) comes in surprisingly handy more often than I had expected - making me think a 195-200 could be quite useful.

Hi Claus, yes we did have a recent thread on this, and the result then was a preference for 225mm. Though there was some bias in the way the poll was set up... Just as there is some bias in your poll..

As in, no 180mm nor a 225. I’m actually interested in hearing how many people use a 195mm gyuto, since my 165mm mini gyuto by Munetoshi (a petty) comes in surprisingly handy more often than I had expected - making me think a 195-200 could be quite useful.
I have that little munetoshi too and also a 180 Wakui gyuto. I find the gyuto much more useful. I usually use 240's and have a 210 that's just languishing in my drawer. I like the 240 for most everything, up until I have to tunnel cuts between my fingers (like garlic) then I pull that 180 out.

Here's a comparo pict

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...-ginsan-takamura-migaki-pro.49191/post-746972
OP, do you use a pinch grip? The way you grip the blade makes a huge difference. I think often the 270 club puts a thumb and three fingers on the blade(or at least hold the blade further forward), the 240ers use a thumb and two fingers to pinch.

I may be wrong though...

Last edited:
I have that little munetoshi too and also a 180 Wakui gyuto. I find the gyuto much more useful.

OP, do you use a pinch grip? The way you grip the blade makes a huge difference. I think often the 270 club puts a thumb and three fingers on the blade(or at least hold the blade further forward), the 240ers use a thumb and two fingers to pinch.
I use my munetoshi 165 to cut quesadilla. When I try and use it for something else, I always wish I was using a 240. For me, 240 is a little large for cutting in the air. For that, I like 180-210. Maybe 225 or 230 would be a better size, but I've never used one at that size. Its easier to choke up on a 240 than to invent blade length.

For me it depends in the height. I like 240 for narrow KS-style profiles, but have always felt taller gyutos should be shorter.

Your poll doesn't reflect the sizes I prefer so I didn't respond directly there. I'm a home cook and 225mm - 230mm is a very versatile size for my uses. While I do have a couple true 240s I find them slightly cumbersome for my board and available counter space. I very rarely miss the extra centimeter or centimeter-and-a-half.

My second preference, and a very close second at that, are my small gyutos ranging from a mini 165mm up to about 207mm. The 207 is actually a Kippington rather than a Sakai knife but it was sort of inspired by the Kono Fujiyama 210s (not wide bevel however). @Wahnamhong if you're primarily cooking for two at home I most definitely would encourage you to try a small gyuto. If 195 - 200mm seems like a sweet spot for you go for it although that would almost assuredly mean a custom knife. Maybe the 205 - 207 Sakai "210" would be close enough? KKF has enough small knife fans that I wouldn't think it would be a difficult resale if you decide you don't like it.

210-240 really depending on what I feel like that day. But outside of tasks with a specific requirement or constraint, I’m really turning into a whatever knife is closest or I feel like using or I already have nearby kind of guy. That includes petties, sujihikis, and cleavers but not generally gyutos bigger than 250mm anymore.

I have that little munetoshi too and also a 180 Wakui gyuto. I find the gyuto much more useful. I usually use 240's and have a 210 that's just languishing in my drawer. I like the 240 for most everything, up until I have to tunnel cuts between my fingers (like garlic) then I pull that 180 out.

Here's a comparo pict

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...-ginsan-takamura-migaki-pro.49191/post-746972

I may be wrong though...

Yes, I use a pinch grip.
But I rarely think I need more blade length than what a 20-21 cm chefs knife gives me.

For instance when I cut shallot or other small vegetables, even pinching on a 24 cm gyuto still means I can’t precisely cut the vegetables, I’m too far away.

Cheers, Claus

240 mm for me. Even using a small board it doesnt feel cumbersome to me.
Just have to clear the board between tasks. I can also mince a shallot just fine and I like the height v.s. a petty. I can also work faster chopping up multiple rows of product like potato or carrots.
I can use a 210 mm just fine but the next size I prefer would be a 180mm. Smaller and more compact for smaller and less intensive tasks.

I voted 20-21cm, for similar reasons to the OP. Don't feel like I need more. Probably don't need multiple gyutos either, but let's not think about that.

23cm is the sweet spot for me. 22.5 is still pretty good. 24 is longer than I need but works. 21 leaves me wanting more too often. If I really only need a shorter blade, 18 is good.
The recent poll seemed designed to attract people who like 22.5 or 23, of which I am one, but it all comes down to experience, board/kitchen size, and personal preference.

Thanks for your votes and opinions so far.

Sorry about the not so well thought out poll choices.
I intend to improve on this as I get more and more into knife specs as time goes.

I rarely ever cut into larger cuts of meat, I have my local butcher do this for me.

For meat slicing I have a cheap nice Zwilling Pro 26 cm slicer, I use this knife each time I’m making a larger size poultry or a roast, which is maybe 12-15 times a year.

When I need to cut a pumpkin, butternut squash or large cabbage I’ll reach for either my Miyabi Artisan 24 cm gyuto, my Wüsthof Classic ikon 23 cm chefs knife or my Zwilling Pro Oak wood 26 cm chefs knife. But it’s very rarely I need these larger sized knives.

I will buy a duo of artisan SG2 J-knives soon, and I’m most likely opting for a duo of the Nigara Hamono SG2/R2 series - the Gyuto in 21 cm or 24 cm and the Santoku in 18 cm.
Still not 100 % decided yet though.

Cheers, Claus

Claus

Where you at with sharpening skills?

If you are not seriously proficient you may think about postponing the SG-2, postponing the high end knives, instead buy a (as in one) stainless clad white 2 carbon knife (wakui, or kaeru, something like that) along with a full progression of stones and learn to maintain this snazzy new knife.

Once you can reliably sharpen that knife, go ahead and sell it and get what you want. I'd guess your wish list will change and you may find that first knife is all you ever need. Plus, you'll have the stones forever.

I think a decent budget for stones (3), holders, flattening plates etc. is probably about 300 euro. You can go cheaper but it's a false economy.

This is always my advice when someone asks about buying their first knife, one of the reasons we encourage you filling out the questionnaire to ask your questions.

Rick

And while we're on the subject, your choice of cutting board material will affect edge retention much more than your choice of steel for the knife. Technique too.

Steel-Stone-Wood, it's a complete system and the weakest link is where you'll fail.

Last edited:

Grab a Sukenari or Y. Tanaka 210mm, wish granted but you can still pretend you only use manly knives... :p

Edit: I see mine around that size (Tanaka, Ittetsu, Takayuki) as utility knives mostly, although the Takayuki is 50mm at the heel so it doesn't feel utility at all, but full blown 210mm.

Anything 215-230 rocks my boat more than any other length.

Claus

Where you at with sharpening skills?

If you are not seriously proficient you may think about postponing the SG-2, postponing the high end knives, instead buy a (as in one) stainless clad white 2 carbon knife (wakui, or kaeru, something like that) along with a full progression of stones and learn to maintain this snazzy new knife.

Once you can reliably sharpen that knife, go ahead and sell it and get what you want. I'd guess your wish list will change and you may find that first knife is all you ever need. Plus, you'll have the stones forever.

I think a decent budget for stones (3), holders, flattening plates etc. is probably about 300 euro. You can go cheaper but it's a false economy.

This is always my advice when someone asks about buying their first knife, one of the reasons we encourage you filling out the questionnaire to ask your questions.

Rick

I already own 12 SG2 and 2 ZDP-189 knives (Miyabi Artisan, Kramer Damascus and Miyabi MCD 5000 67) and I sharpen on these stones:

Naniwa Chosera
400, 800, 2000, 3000, 5000 and a leather strop block for fine tuning.

I also own flattening stones and cleaning stones. I’m not a rookie. Just when it comes to artisan J-knives.

I own these honing steels, all are Rockwell 66
F.Dick oval Sapphire cut 30 cm
F.Dick oval Micro 30 cm
F.Dick oval Polish 30 cm

I own these ceramic honing rods
Ioxio 800 grit oval 29 cm
Ioxio 3000 grit oval 29 cm

I think it’s quite easy to sharpen SG2 and ZDP-189, at least compared to what I expected based on rumours on this forum and other forums, that led me to believe it would take an hour to sharpen a ZDP-189 knife.
It’s highly exaggerated how difficult it is to sharpen hard powder steel knives in my experience.

Cheers, Claus

And while we're on the subject, your choice of cutting board material will affect edge retention much more than your choice of steel for the knife. Technique too.

Steel-Stone-Wood, it's a complete system and the weakest link is where you'll fail.

My cutting boards are handpicked using my very own detailed preferences and FYI I also find it highly exaggerated how some say for instance a teakwood cutting board will dull a knife compared to an end grain cutting board.

I’m a rookie on this forum and a rookie when it comes to artisan J-knives, but not when it comes to knives in general and I have sharpened my own knives for 2 decades.

Cheers, Claus

A 210 will always get it done, but sometimes the flat spot is just a bit too short. Needs a little extra finesse. Like @M1k3 mentioned there's an up charge for 240. Also good for loaners.

Sakai 240 length (230 edge) seems to give just a little more real estate for covering the whole product for home cooking.

For big prep days and ergonomics, 260-270. Anything larger and I have to pull my elbow back too far for tip work.

Although I'm using a 180 santoku right now so what the hell do I know?

A 210 will always get it done, but sometimes the flat spot is just a bit too short. Needs a little extra finesse. Like @M1k3 mentioned there's an up charge for 240. Also good for loaners.

Sakai 240 length (230 edge) seems to give just a little more real estate for covering the whole product for home cooking.

For big prep days and ergonomics, 260-270. Anything larger and I have to pull my elbow back too far for tip work.

Although I'm using a 180 santoku right now so what the hell do I know?

“Although I'm using a 180 santoku right now so what the hell do I know?”

Precisely my point.

I don’t fathom what size carrots and zucchini’s you guys have where you’re from, but here in Denmark our average zucchini’s are 12-15 cm long and carrots 8-12 cm long.

What gigantic vegetables do you all cut, since you need 24-27 cm knives ?

A gyuto sized 21 cm will have a flat spot of 14-16 cm, which is perfectly fine for 99% of the vegetables I use in my kitchen day in day out.

When I use cabbage I just cut it in half right away. No problemo. Job done with even an 18 cm santoku.

I perfectly understand the need for a 24-27 cm chefs knife in a restaurant kitchen. I would use one in that size there too.

But in a home kitchen I simply don’t buy the argument for running out of blade with a 21 cm gyuto, unless you have vegetables on steroids where you live.

But it’s a free world. I think I’m going to buy a 44 cm gyuto and will go cut some garlic with it LOL

Cheers, Claus

Latest posts

Back