A Bread Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is important to distinguish between stale and dry. I use "stale" as a taste and is not reversable. "Dryness" is a texture and is generally reversable by adding water to the surface or soaking for a few minutes in extreme circumstances. In my experience, almost all bread goes dry before it goes stale. Some bread obviously goes stale (a baguette from france) and will be unpalatable a day after purchase no matter how much soaking and baking you do.

🤔

Good point!

I think this is more of a modern cultural thing though? Stale has never meant rancid or "off". It implies food is past its prime but is still edible... At least in my interpretation.

My sourdough gets "dry" pretty quickly - within a few days. It is fine to eat! If you dont mind drier bread or are happy to make toast... no problems. Our bread always gets eaten. I doubt we have taken longer than a week... maybe 12 days at the worst??

Kind of makes me think... we are probably too accustomed to eating 'perfect' food. In the grand scheme of things, this is a recent phenomenon. For most of our history we were routinely eating stale food. To your point Ruisreikäleipä is a great example of bread that is designed to have a long shelf life - although it is "dry" it is not "off".

🤔

Good point!

I think this is more of a modern cultural thing though? Stale has never meant rancid or "off". It implies food is past its prime but is still edible... At least in my interpretation.

My sourdough gets "dry" pretty quickly - within a few days. It is fine to eat! If you dont mind drier bread or are happy to make toast... no problems. Our bread always gets eaten. I doubt we have taken longer than a week... maybe 12 days at the worst??

Kind of makes me think... we are probably too accustomed to eating 'perfect' food. In the grand scheme of things, this is a recent phenomenon. For most of our history we were routinely eating stale food. To your point Ruisreikäleipä is a great example of bread that is designed to have a long shelf life - although it is "dry" it is not "off".
Panzanella.

Bumping this one for some feedback. I'll throw in some pictures tonight, but here are the two "issues:"

Recipe - 40% Overnight Whole Wheat from FWSY (straight dough)

1. I didn't get the rise that I wanted from this batch. I suspect it could be from over-proofing. When I pulled the dough on this morning, it didn't spring back fully when poked and the second loaf degassed noticeably when moving it into the Dutch oven. If that's the case, any tips? I followed the recipe timing closely, water temp was 92F and air temp was 68F. Is it as simple as reducing the bulk ferment time before going into the refrigerator overnight? I don't have a cambro, so I'm using a large kitchen bowl and it's not too easy to gauge doubling, tripling in size.

2. The crust seems thin and soft, noticeably from the loaves I made last week. No hunches on this one other than I may have let my Dutch oven preheat a little less this time than the last.

Bumping this one for some feedback. I'll throw in some pictures tonight, but here are the two "issues:"

Recipe - 40% Overnight Whole Wheat from FWSY (straight dough)

1. I didn't get the rise that I wanted from this batch. I suspect it could be from over-proofing. When I pulled the dough on this morning, it didn't spring back fully when poked and the second loaf degassed noticeably when moving it into the Dutch oven. If that's the case, any tips? I followed the recipe timing closely, water temp was 92F and air temp was 68F. Is it as simple as reducing the bulk ferment time before going into the refrigerator overnight? I don't have a cambro, so I'm using a large kitchen bowl and it's not too easy to gauge doubling, tripling in size.

2. The crust seems thin and soft, noticeably from the loaves I made last week. No hunches on this one other than I may have let my Dutch oven preheat a little less this time than the last.

Looking forward to pics. Good questions...

Haven't made that recipe before. I suppose 5 hrs with commercial yeast and a significant amount of whole wheat could be a lot, but idk. I'm assuming this is an accurate reprint of the recipe:

https://food52.com/recipes/83036-overnight-40-percent-whole-wheat-bread-recipe
Noticable degassing does make me think it's either overproofed, or maybe that you didn't develop the gluten network enough with the folds? But prob the former?

If the crust was also a bit lighter than usual, I think that's a sign of overproofing, since the yeast eats up all the sugar and there's no more to caramelize. Dunno if thin/soft is also related to overproofing, but maybe.

Yea, decreasing the bulk ferment, and/or decreasing the exact value of `overnight', or turning your fridge temp down, is what I'd do I guess, though I'm no expert. Or maybe you added slightly too much yeast this time.. idk.

That's the right recipe. The first time I made it, I used some yeast that was older. I weighed it both times, but my scale only measures in full grams.

I think I'll dial back the bulk ferment and overnight by a bit next time. The positive thing is that I've been taking notes with each batch so I can compare conditions and steps.

Reactions: ian
I’ve def noticed a difference between instant yeast stored in the fridge for 6 months or so and fresh instant yeast.

Good for you for taking notes. I’m often too lazy.

Didn’t end up as dark as the last batch.
244226AF-49EC-44DC-84B6-301563ADA6E3.jpeg
E9F0A0A5-7B7F-463A-A40B-5784063CC504.jpeg

Komo Mio. Been pretty happy with it so far for my one or two loaves a week. Loudish, but fast enough for me, and it was pretty cheap at least in comparison with many of the competitors.
looks reasonable, I feel like I'm making too much bread to be milling my own flour. That paired with getting another kitchen thing has held me back for sure

re Pan de Crystal.
Incredible crumb,- I wish!
is this from Josey Baker Bread book? or somewhere else. We bake 100 lbs a day with poolish, but it doe not look that!!!!
thanks
bob

To be honest, the first one I ever made (about a month ago) turned out great. And I live at 7,000 feet. If I can do it, anyone can. Give it a whirl!
Thanks, I think I will. Honestly, I like making bread, but I'm doing low-carb because I'm diabetic. Hell Yea, I'm going to give this a whirl. In the meantime, I think I've inspired a friend to try it. Learn from others. Thanks @MrHiggins

Last edited:
I just started one, using Caputo Manitoba Oro flour with 14.5% protein. It's basically soup straight after mixing:
IMG_5320.jpg

I'll see how this turns out as I do the folds.

Back