A Statement on the Future of KKF Massdrops

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a sharp, sharp rectangle has dropped you a message on IG 🕵️‍♂️

Oh this is getting straight griiiinding all of my gears in a good way. MagnaCut, father HT/grind on son's absurdly potent creation. And I say absurdly because what Larrin basically says is he just went exploring a world dedicated to kitchen knives in a universe entirely not so dedicated into it at all if ever and then of rather poor and outdated composition to benefits. Winking here to respectful and interesting research on VG-10 and SG2 that still, cutting to the chase, were not so positive but for initial excitment of looking at steels primarily patented for knives and/or patented in the early for that purpose.

+1 on Uwe Mattern.

I can't seem to find anything on sale from him. Would love to have and try one.
Uwe Mattern +25 knives - would make for a great mass-drop. But how do you get in touch with him😂😂🙏

Reactions: Sdo
Personally, I think it would be cool to engage one of the lesser known but active KKF makers. I know capacity might be a concern. I just like the idea of giving them a bump, likely opening the affordability range up to more members, and getting something earlier in the maker's career. Who knows where they'll be in a few years right?

Maybe get a discreet and tasteful "KKF - 2022" stamp or something.

Hello all:

Hope everyone’s been well.

As some of you have noticed, the massketeers have been away for a few months now. After a wildly successful third drop, this time off has given us the opportunity to think about the future of the KKF Massdrop (read: the craziest things we can come up with for the next mass-drop).

After much internal discussion as well as conversations with a wide list of smiths, we’ve decided on 4 possible directions:

1. Release a limited drop of ultra-high-end cutlery - meaning crazy priced Rolls Royce of knives
  2. Expand to Japan and commission a custom offering - get a legendary master to create something completely unique for KKF
  3. Hold a high price-value “mini-drop” for an up-and-coming smith
  4. Continue to work with incredible, hard to find western smiths who make the fabulous knives all of you lust after

Now, questions may begin to form in your Massdrop-deprived minds…
Is this actually what we’re going to do?
And are we going to do all four - in that order - or maybe at the same time?

Who knows.
What we do know is that y’all better start putting in some overtime, opening up a lemonade stand, and selling off some of your children, because Massdrop IV is coming.

Peace and Love,
@RockyBasel and @nakiriknaifuwaifu

PS: Yes, the Xerxes drop is still suspended until further notice.
PPS: Yes, it's Chelsea Miller

Apex ultra sounds really interesting actually since Larrin is involved with it. Hadn’t heard about it before except furtive whispers and rumors of a larrin steel designed for forging.

I don’t personally care whether a kitchen knife is stainless or not given how many top end knives are some form of non-stainless already (unlike pocket knives) and unlike magnacut not needing to have diamond stones for any moderate repair work would be nice.

Apex ultra sounds really interesting actually since Larrin is involved with it. Hadn’t heard about it before except furtive whispers and rumors of a larrin steel designed for forging.

I don’t personally care whether a kitchen knife is stainless or not given how many top end knives are some form of non-stainless already (unlike pocket knives) and unlike magnacut not needing to have diamond stones for any moderate repair work would be nice.
Magnacut is simple fine carbides and meant to sharpen easily. And again Souper tough for high hrc and edge retention even if you don't care about stainlessness. Tbh I'd love magnacut sanmai or Damascus for something fun. Seen hoss do it a few times.

Magnacut is simple fine carbides and meant to sharpen easily. And again Souper tough for high hrc and edge retention even if you don't care about stainlessness. Tbh I'd love magnacut sanmai or Damascus for something fun. Seen hoss do it a few times.
To be fair regardless of the size of the carbides just the existence of MC-type carbides can make steels feel glassy on non-diamond stones (I haven't had this problem but it is a turn-off for some). Apex Ultra also should have good toughness at higher attainable hardness than MagnaCut (66+ RC). But you are 100% correct about the lower wear resistance nothing beats a decent volume of MC carbide when it comes to increasing wear resistance!

Back