Aogami Super

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone used this before? Looks like a good package to me. Thick spine, thin edge, wide bevel, ss clad, nice profile, tall enough, not pricey.

https://www.aiandomknives.com/colle...per-kurouchi-nashiji-gyuto-240mm-ebony-handle

I don't have a big collection but I have the 210mm and it's one of my favourite knives. I like it so much I am tempted to get the 240mm too. Easy to sharpen but also the edge lasts a long time. The spine becomes extremely thin towards the tip. Horizontal cuts through onions become effortless. It used to wedge a little bit on denser produce out of the box but since I flattened the bevel and it has become thinner I don't have major issues with wedging. Hope this helps

I don't have a big collection but I have the 210mm and it's one of my favourite knives. I like it so much I am tempted to get the 240mm too. Easy to sharpen but also the edge lasts a long time. The spine becomes extremely thin towards the tip. Horizontal cuts through onions become effortless. It used to wedge a little bit on denser produce out of the box but since I flattened the bevel and it has become thinner I don't have major issues with wedging. Hope this helps
Thank you! That sounds really promising!

I have a handful of AS; I find the edge retention is pretty good and will get toothy rather than dull so can be easily refreshed with a few light passes on a mid grit stone. Just picked up a Yoshimitsu AS with a great blue lacquered handle, not sold on the grind but the steel is nice.

Just don't get shibata AS, no edge retention at all. Old takedas had decent retention. AS seemed to get a razor sharp edge which was lost pretty quickly, then it'd hold a decent edge forever - a ceramic rod doesn't do much for it either.

Anyone used this before? Looks like a good package to me. Thick spine, thin edge, wide bevel, ss clad, nice profile, tall enough, not pricey.

https://www.aiandomknives.com/colle...per-kurouchi-nashiji-gyuto-240mm-ebony-handle
Get it. It's good.

I really like his profile. His HT is also really good, but then again, it's more of a middleweight and not a looker, unlike his father.
He is very underrated because he is overshadowed by his father, but his stuff is probably one of the best in that ever come out of Japan.

I have 210 version and almost pulled the trigger for the 240 one, but i need money for vacation so maybe next time. i also want his Sujihiki.

Just don't get shibata AS, no edge retention at all. Old takedas had decent retention. AS seemed to get a razor sharp edge which was lost pretty quickly, then it'd hold a decent edge forever - a ceramic rod doesn't do much for it either.
Funny my Shibata hold an edge pretty well and easily restore using a strop.

Get it. It's good.

I really like his profile. His HT is also really good, but then again, it's more of a middleweight and not a looker, unlike his father.
He is very underrated because he is overshadowed by his father, but his stuff is probably one of the best in that ever come out of Japan.

I have 210 version and almost pulled the trigger for the 240 one, but i need money for vacation so maybe next time. i also want his Sujihiki.
Thanks. I already placed the order yesterday. Ai&Om found me one with a 5 mm spine and I think it’s gonna be a heavyweight as I hoped.

I feel like we’re missing Takeda. His AS is ultra durable, edge retention is higher than denka, maybe for geometry reasons, and accepts toothiness very well. Different category of knife tho.

The only issue I’m having with it is deburring sometimes. But that’s more of a me probpem I believe.

Edit - oops sry @shinyunggyun

Last edited:
So Y. Tanaka, Takeda, and TF are the best with aogami super?
Maybe for now... I don't know how Shiraki's AS used to be (i saw it on youtube and said it's phenomenal ) and I haven't seen any Nakagawa AS.

The Takefu stuff is pretty lame compared to those 3 Blacksmith, I haven't tried Nihei AS and also Hinoura AS is better than the Takefu stuff definitely.

Mazaki is anything between a joke (heat treatment, profiles) and a genius (Single bevels) ...

Best profiled and cutting Gyuto i ever had was a Mazaki, but it did not hold an edge....

If you look for a cheap user look at Yoshimune/Tosa. The grinds are thin (but bad made just like Munetoshi) but forged well and the HT of their AS is wonderfull. With a little better grind (still as good as TF :rolleyes: )and a little more Sanyo like taper this would be a hit.

I love my 210 Gyuto, the perfect line knife for me.

SirCutALot

I currently have 3 AS knives, and have had at least as many in the past. It's great steel, and given the right heat treatment, holds a wicked edge. I think one of the finest buy's out there in AS is the Anryu KU line. I file and sand the choil and spine, which results in a superb knife for the money.

I feel like we’re missing Takeda. His AS is ultra durable, edge retention is higher than denka, maybe for geometry reasons, and accepts toothiness very well. Different category of knife tho.

The only issue I’m having with it is deburring sometimes. But that’s more of a me probpem I believe.

Edit - oops sry @shinyunggyun
How is the food release on the takeda?

I’ve tried the AS steel of TF, Shibata/ikeda, Moritaka, Mutsumi and Mazaki. Their edge life are all very good for a home user. Denka is my favorite steel out of these though, because it gets scary sharp in shortest sharpening time and it’s not picky about stones. I’ll have to try Y Tanaka AS sometime but given my experience with his blue 1 I think it’s gonna be sweet.

Actually I also got a Takeda recently and sold it before I actually sharpen it. It is too thin and flexible for me to enjoy its well known AS steel.

What about caveats? Is Takeda famous for overgrinds just like TF? Or not as bad?
There's pretty extensive discussion of Takeda going back years on the forum. Search button'll be a helpful resource here.

What about caveats? Is Takeda famous for overgrinds just like TF? Or not as bad?
Short version: potentially wedgy and strange feeling.

Different thinking behind the geometry. Also famous (and noted by the maker) for inconsistency. An over grind would be catastrophic, although I don’t think they’re very common.

Of the dozen or so nakiris I've owned the Takeda AS (iron clad) is the one I keep coming back to over and over again. Thin enough to not crack monster carrots, can leave an onion completely in place during dicing, exceptional steel (tied for my favorite steel alongside Takagi and Doi sr blue), and mine is way stiffer than you'd expect for something so light and thin. Mine came just before the transition to almost exclusively stainless clad which is also around when the blades became noticeably thicker. If I saw an AS come up with a thinner grind around here I'd buy it as a backup in a heartbeat.

I love my Takeda. It has otherworldly food release and holds an edge very well. I can see it being tougher than a Denka, because it's not as hard, though I've never really pushed either of them. But I have a hard time seeing the edge last longer. My Denka holds its edge forever.

I love my Takeda. It has otherworldly food release and holds an edge very well. I can see it being tougher than a Denka, because it's not as hard, though I've never really pushed either of them. But I have a hard time seeing the edge last longer. My Denka holds its edge forever.
It’s a problem specific to my denka I believe, I ended up taking off too much steel prior to polishing so it’s wayyyyy too thin. Cuts like a demon, but ends up about 1.5 -2x the edge retention of my best whites.

Back