Cutting Board Giveaway

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In. Really sharp looking, and really like the cutout and plate which slips under. Generous offer on your part. I am puzzled though, about the juice grooves.

I'm in!

Thank you for your service Luke.

I think a lot us felt a bit lost after leaving the military. But, you adjust and as you are already discovering, you learn that it doesn't have to define you. It has to end some time. No one can take away the service and commitment you gave. This is a tremendously generous and kind act.

Erik

In. Really sharp looking, and really like the cutout and plate which slips under. Generous offer on your part. I am puzzled though, about the juice grooves.
Thank you. My logic on the two sided juice groove is as follows:

Firstly, juice grooves are in my opinion a lot like the rubicon package on a Jeep Wrangler. Everybody wants it, but let's be serious, how often are you locking both diffs and throwing it in 4 Low to climb over boulders? How often are you carving a gigantic roast that is also just pouring out juice? Some people are!... but not most, and certainly not all that often. In addition, juice grooves take a up a deceptively large amount of area on a cutting board. For example, this cutting board has a total area of 240 square inches. If I were to put a juice groove all the way around, you would lose 60 square inches of cutting board. 25% of the board. Now this is a big number, but what is more important than the total loss of space is where the space you are losing is and how that space is used. A right-handed cook will mostly cut in the middle, the middle towards the bottom and the middle towards the right. If the knife is going over the top or left of the board, it is almost always just the tip which is at this point in the cut is raised off the board anyways. So the bottom and right hand sides are much more valuable than the top and left. In addition, when moving food off of a cutting board, most cooks are pushing food off the right of the board, or off the front of the board into a bowl. So having a juice groove on these sides is an extreme impediment to the efficient movement of food off of the board. To add to this, in order to further ease the movement of food off of the cutting board, I have included a plate which slides under the right side. To have a juice grow above this would be a very poor design choice.

So in summary, I put a juice groove on only two sides because I feel that the pros of it in rare scenarios do not outweigh the cons of it in most daily scenarios. I want to prioritize the cutting experience and overall functionality of the board in day to day tasks instead of compromising what I feel are very important parts of the board for something which is done very rarely.

And if you are now thinking to yourself, "Well why even include a juice groove at all if you hate it so much?!?!"... I just think it looks neat. And some juice groove is better than no juice groove!

Thank you. My logic on the two sided juice groove is as follows:

Firstly, juice grooves are in my opinion a lot like the rubicon package on a Jeep Wrangler. Everybody wants it, but let's be serious, how often are you locking both diffs and throwing it in 4 Low to climb over boulders? How often are you carving a gigantic roast that is also just pouring out juice? Some people are!... but not most, and certainly not all that often. In addition, juice grooves take a up a deceptively large amount of area on a cutting board. For example, this cutting board has a total area of 240 square inches. If I were to put a juice groove all the way around, you would lose 60 square inches of cutting board. 25% of the board. Now this is a big number, but what is more important than the total loss of space is where the space you are losing is and how that space is used. A right-handed cook will mostly cut in the middle, the middle towards the bottom and the middle towards the right. If the knife is going over the top or left of the board, it is almost always just the tip which is at this point in the cut is raised off the board anyways. So the bottom and right hand sides are much more valuable than the top and left. In addition, when moving food off of a cutting board, most cooks are pushing food off the right of the board, or off the front of the board into a bowl. So having a j, especiallyuice groove on these sides is an extreme impediment to the efficient movement of food off of the board. To add to this, in order to further ease the movement of food off of the cutting board, I have included a plate which slides under the right side. To have a juice grow above this would be a very poor design choice.

So in summary, I put a juice groove on only two sides because I feel that the pros of it in rare scenarios do not outweigh the cons of it in most daily scenarios. I want to prioritize the cutting experience and overall functionality of the board in day to day tasks instead of compromising what I feel are very important parts of the board for something which is done very rarely.

And if you are now thinking to yourself, "Well why even include a juice groove at all if you hate it so much?!?!"... I just think it looks neat. And some juice groove is better than no juice groove!
Agree with all you said, especially about the grooves eating up a huge amount of space. On top of that, I have had grooves overflow. Since then I have just put very wet things on a wire rack to rest. I find your thought process of design, to be an interesting take. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I would consider myself vey fortunate if by some off chance I should win. To whomever does win thanks to OwlWoodworks generosity, hope you really enjoy the board.
Best to all
D.

In

What awesome looking board!! Hopefully, I get lucky. Also great story! I’ve served in the US Army. Did I mention that I’m in?

Incase I didn’t I’m in 😁

Back