Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current status, two missing on the pic and to be continued...
Love the rack and the organization but can´t avoid to think that I don´t want to be in that kitchen/prep.-corner in an earthquake situation.

Dust is a problem but this way you see what you have in storage which is nice.
I assume you have a stepladder nearby?

That's an impressive transformation. Would you mind sharing the bluing solution that you used and did you use any steel wool to clean up the oxide after immersing the blade in boiling water?
Happy to share! I used a light coat of nail polish to help protect the core steel. Then I did a vinegar dip followed by immersing the blade in strongly salty water and waited for a decent layer of rust to form - usually 5 to 10 minutes. From there I liked to boil in plain water for 15 minutes, pulling the blade after 5 minutes and washing with a sponge to remove the topmost layer of loose oxides then re-immersing to finish the boil. Repeat until satisfied, this was 8 coats I think.

Last edited:
Love the rack and the organization but can´t avoid to think that I don´t want to be in that kitchen/prep.-corner in an earthquake situation.

There aren’t many earthquakes in Germany, not much to worry about!

Honestly I think people are really overstating how much of a problem dust is on open shelving. It's only really an issue in 3 situations:
-Stuff you only use once a year or so. So don't use open shelves for long storage, but if it's stuff you use at least somewhat regularly - like once a month - it's not a problem.
-Stuff that's closer to the ground. For that reason I'd recommend against open shelving below countertop height. Above countertop height it's generally not a problem.
-Stuff that's right next to the stove...although this can be mitigated by having a good hood. But in my experience - and because I don't have a good hood - stuff near the stove attracts more fat particles. Mostly a problem within the first meter around the stove.

Can you elaborate on how you make the fridge magnet? Looks like you made it work with only 1 bar?
In the center I cut out up to 1mm with the circular saw. Glued neodym magnets with hot glue. And the Kungsfors metal magnet quieter was glued in with silicone.
40860545ju.jpg
40860567zx.jpg
40860543ft.jpg

And there I was hoping it was something I could replicate in 5 minutes. :D
How are you liking it in use? Looks like it's stuck well enough? Does it ever move when taking knives off or is it rocksolid?

Exactly, I have a stepladder.

I have magnets on the rack so that the knives hang securely. I covered the magnets with cork. The knife blades do not touch the oak wood. The knives sit really tightly on the rack.
IMG_2609.JPG
IMG_2610.JPG

And there I was hoping it was something I could replicate in 5 minutes. :D
How are you liking it in use? Looks like it's stuck well enough? Does it ever move when taking knives off or is it rocksolid?
The knives don't slip! They are very tight. But you can take it off the bar with just the right amount of force. I tip the knives over my back using leverage. So it's not too difficult to take them off.

Back