Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removing lacquer coating on my Tadokoro Marushin Ginsan. Prepping it for a day at the field.
IMG_0664.jpeg

Last edited:
Okubo big nakiri WIP:

Original:
1701033180658.png

After scrubbing off 5g on a Gesshin 220:
PXL_20231124_233120126.jpg

After a quick synth -> Uchi -> suita powder + micromesh progression:
PXL_20231126_204650473.jpg

Definitely still messy, with some grind marks near the edge, low spots, incomplete removal of 320 grit scratches, etc etc. But cutting performance has improved massively and it's a little less of a mess. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to go back to the coarse stones to thin and clean up a little further or just put it to work for now.

Okubo big nakiri WIP:

Original:
View attachment 284593

View attachment 284595

View attachment 284596

Definitely still messy, with some grind marks near the edge, low spots, incomplete removal of 320 grit scratches, etc etc. But cutting performance has improved massively and it's a little less of a mess. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to go back to the coarse stones to thin and clean up a little further or just put it to work for now.
I like to press the ā€œeasy buttonā€ at this point - cover everything up with a muddy midgrit stone (King 800, Cerax 1000, Gesshin 1200) for a nice working finish and put it to use :)

Okubo big nakiri WIP:

Original:
View attachment 284593

View attachment 284595

View attachment 284596

What size did you get?

View attachment 284817
View attachment 284818

I really like Yamatsuka ginsan and the grind on this particular line! Iā€™ve been playing around with etching to bring out the cladding more - but havenā€™t been able to figure out how to do it while still keeping the core steel nice and shiny.
I really wanted to add this to my ginsan collection and the Kasumi version but the price on the damascus is holding me back for some reasons. One day I might just pull the trigger.

I really wanted to add this to my ginsan collection and the Kasumi version but the price on the damascus is holding me back for some reasons. One day I might just pull the trigger.

The price definitely was kinda hard to swallow initially especially given the lack of engraved kanji, and rough FF/wonky ho wood handle out of box, but Iā€™ve been reaching for it much more than my myojin sharpened nakagawa ginsan pieces. Just feels like such a perfect middleweight! Your ginsan collection has so many gorgeous endgame pieces that I can only hope to try one day šŸ¤©

View attachment 284817
View attachment 284818

I really like Yamatsuka ginsan and the grind on this particular line! Iā€™ve been playing around with etching to bring out the cladding more - but havenā€™t been able to figure out how to do it while still keeping the core steel nice and shiny.
These are great. I have the regular version, used it a lot and thinned it some. Itā€™s a great contrast to most Sakai Ginsan which tends to be thin convex grinds or wide bevel. A thick spine, convex stainless workhorse. Not a lot of those out there. Got lucky with the hand chiseled kanji too. One of the few knives I want the Damascus version of. Although I never understood why they put a pretty nice ebony handle on the normal version and a Ho wood one on the Damascus.
1701140790825.jpeg

1701140815019.jpeg

Restoring this knifeā€¦Donā€™t know what brand it is but itā€™s a SKD steel.
View attachment 284836
View attachment 284838
Itinomonn StainLess by Yoshikane

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-stainless-kasumi-240mm-wa-gyuto-discontinued/
Great to see a well worn knife get a second life.

These are great. I have the regular version, used it a lot and thinned it some. Itā€™s a great contrast to most Sakai Ginsan which tends to be thin convex grinds or wide bevel. A thick spine, convex stainless workhorse. Not a lot of those out there. Got lucky with the hand chiseled kanji too. One of the few knives I want the Damascus version of. Although I never understood why they put a pretty nice ebony handle on the normal version and a Ho wood one on the Damascus.
View attachment 284841
View attachment 284842

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-stainless-kasumi-240mm-wa-gyuto-discontinued/
Is the grind on the regular and Damascus version the same? Kind tempted

View attachment 284841
View attachment 284842

Where did you hear that Yoshikane made these?

Love these knives, and actually have two of them. A thinner one with a good looking Kanji, and a slightly Thiccer one with an unfortunate kanji.

View attachment 284852View attachment 284855
The knife that I was trying to fix had seen better days. Had to do major thinning and the core steel had rust. Also replaced the D shape handle to Octagonal which the owner wanted. I literally just finished it now.
IMG_0712.jpeg

Where did you hear that Yoshikane made these?
May have read about it on an old thread. I donā€™t think itā€™s confirmed but they just look like the old Yoshikane SKD kasumi line of knives and there werenā€™t exactly a lot of makers producing Sanjo style stainless clad SKD knives. And JNS used to carry Yoshikane SKD too as ā€œZenshoā€, so I just thought they were being sold under Itinomonn.

Took the new Tanaka from maxim out for a spin tonight and wow is it a performer. Itā€™s a much thinner grind all around from my other Tanakas and it really flew through the onions, potatoes, carrots, ginger and garlic with ease. The cladding was a little reactive off the bat so I may have to force a patina on it in the near future. What a great excuse to make a roast! šŸ¤—
V37enLE.jpg

Back