Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you know when you become a lifetime supporter here, they send you free stickers?! Well technically not free, I guess they’re actually $150 a piece. But either way, am I using them right?!

IMG_3253.jpeg
IMG_3254.jpeg

IMG_3255.jpeg

Day 3 of ARM, and I've been too busy to cook anything. I did let a houseguest with cooking skills use my tamahagane nakiri, on a whim. It was not the brightest idea; I could not help monitoring her use of it, as though I were a spy working on my side-eye skills. I knew I was in new territory when I saw her cutting up a lime.

No chips, but a couple square inches of rust, despite the nice patina. The rust came off quickly with 1000 grit sandpaper, but so did the patina. I guess that sets me up nicely for some ARM cooking, with the goal of getting that patina back.

"What are we having for dinner tonight?"
"Pork roast"
"But I don't feel like pork roast"
"Why would that matter? Have you seen the bare unpatinaed surface of my nakiri?"

Despite the problems, I plan to generously let someone else use one of my treasured knives again. January 2035 sounds about right for another try.

Worked on the new addition to the arsenal. It’s more of a need for work purposes. Suisin Ginsan 195mm Deba. Removed the handle right away and started shaving away material on the new handle which is a pain in the ass. 😮‍💨😂🤦🏻‍♂️ Big Chonk of steel. Didn’t get to finish it and im out of time because this thing called work. I’ll continue shaving more material on the handle on my free time.
IMG_1848.jpeg
IMG_1850.jpeg
IMG_1853.jpeg
IMG_1854.jpeg

Funny looking at this and seeing some really nice knives absolutely BURIED 😂

Does it not bother you when the knives get all scratched up from constantly being in contact with each other?
Cheers. The knives touch, but don’t really get scratched up, AFAIK. My knife drawers are more tool shed than museum—I do take care of them.

Those Opinel paring knives are a low key treasure.
IMO they're overrated. For some reason the grind on their paring knives is nowhere near as good as on their folders. The cheapest Robert Herders are ground a million times better than the Opinel paring knives.

IMO they're overrated. For some reason the grind on their paring knives is nowhere near as good as on their folders. The cheapest Robert Herders are ground a million times better than the Opinel paring knives.
Waaaay cheaper than Herder as far as I can tell, at least in the US.

Waaaay cheaper than Herder as far as I can tell, at least in the US.
If you're comparing to K1 or K1M then yes. But here we slso have cheaper models that are ground very similar.

Even comparing to Opinel's own folding knives, those are also ground a lot better while still being really cheap.

I wouldn't be surprised if their kitchen knives are OEMed elsewhere.

Back