Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saya Saturday.

3A752061-C1E4-446F-9EE4-86252315509B.jpeg

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that knife. What are the specs? Steel, length, performance, etc.
It's a custom from @HSC /// Knives. Wrought clad 52100. About 235mm length, 52mm high and about 190 grams. It's definitely a keeper! Good balance of food release and not wedging in stuff. Very comfortable in hand. I even basically got a bigger mono Z-wear version of it because I like it so much.

Last edited:
Beautiful. I feel like people on here don’t give any love to bunkas! Such an awesome, fun knife shape. And ya know… it’s a Tansu…
It's actually made by Lars Källgren from Sweden, I just noticed their signature is kind smiliar lol. It is my first bunka and I actually love the shape, awesome for tip work. He still have 2 21cm large bunka for sell.

It's actually made by Lars Källgren from Sweden, I just noticed their signature is kind smiliar lol. It is my first bunka and I actually love the shape, awesome for tip work. He still have 2 21cm large bunka for sell.
Nice! Yeah I just glanced at the makers mark and figured it was Mert. Beautiful knife man. And bunkas are great! I have owned many in my day, was just playing with my Takeda Bunka the other day, AMAZING knife. Feels like an extension of my hand. Also takes an absolutely insane edge.

More 1:00am knife arranging … this time … “The Dixon Division”

View attachment 178669

Hazenberg
Anderson
Xerxes
Jiro
Comet
Lisch
TX
Burke
Horn

… and the Bloodroot and Shiraki are missing (no room on the strip).

When you picture it like this, I start to think I must have been out of my to let these all go. Ugh

When you picture it like this, I start to think I must have been out of my to let these all go. Ugh

Yes … but think of all those starving knife smiths you have been able to keep afloat with the proceeds.

I’ve already ordered two new mag strips from Will Newham … one of which is completely reserved for additions to “The Dixon Division”. One end is labelled “Billipps Sector” and is dressed with gold leaf.

A good occasion on Saturday to bring out the shorties which I’ve been buying in spades so far this year…

IMG_1938.jpg

First and foremost I was out of some chicken stock…

IMG_1937.jpg

… and I had carrots way past their prime, celery starting to oxidize, garlic getting rubbery, wrinkling bell peppers, so-so yellow onions and some thyme starting to desiccate. Also had a fresh chicken carcass from this week’s cooking and a Ziploc bag of roasted chicken remnants purposefully thawing in the fridge. Enough stuff there to get substantial cutting comparison of these four… yet not nearly half of what I’d call satisfying.

IMG_1941.jpg

For IDs the Nakiri is Matsubara 165mm A#2, the Santoku Kaji-Bei 165mm A#2, longer but leaner Bunka is Makoto Kurosaki 180mm SG2 and the other one Yoshikane 165mm SKD. Without further ado except that I’ll feel obligated to comment each pic, some highlights…

IMG_1944.jpg

These two were the best for celery, but the Kurosaki fared about just as well. The Yoshikane had some bouts of stiction there and was already losing ground.

IMG_1945.jpg

Yoshi acting up again, and this time I couldn’t deprive you guys of just how terrible and redundant that is in my experience of three from that maker. I mean if I was falsifying the evidence here I would probably have thought more realistic to have a couple stuck pieces less in a bit more randomly stuck fashion, but this is… woah. Even worse is that if release happen from next cuts pushing the stuck ones, it eventually results with stuff flying everywhere. Kurosaki once again performed real nicely.

IMG_1946.jpg

Again these two were the very best. There was enough carrots for two per knife + extras for good behavior, and the extras went to the Kaji-Bei.

IMG_1948.jpg

Oh well… for sakes of fair representation, I’ve solely elected the Yoshikane to effortlessly produce the cleanest of a roll cut here…. Effortlessly as in “for my technique” with a cut I don’t tend to use much but thought would be a good test for that reason. It’s a point to be sad about really since I like how the Yoshi cuts, I like how it handles, I like the shape of it and how naturally I can use it and how excellent it is for detailing, but it will just invariably get too much sticking of whatever I’m bulk cutting…

IMG_1951.jpg

Kaji-Bei for a full onion dice since it’s so good at it.

IMG_1955.jpg

Playing a bit with cutting “petals” going into radials and then cutting the stack in half after a 90* turn. Goal was to incur the less possible displacement to the onion halves throughout the whole operation without any special from of forced containment. I must say the Matsubara did better than I expected out of the grind here, but some tamed initial sticking was enough to incur noticeable displacement, especially with the onion half to the left where part of the final cut stuck long enough to stand obvious… yet mostly it did nice quite effortlessly.

IMG_1958.jpg

Then the M. Kurosaki did awesomely well of a half dice even where release is nothing like the Kaji-Bei, and easily as good as Matsubara Nakiri for the petals. Rivaling for top of the podium once again – and it did a roll cut closely as nice and as naturally as the Yoshikane with its allotted bell pepper.

A good occasion on Saturday to bring out the shorties which I’ve been buying in spades so far this year…

View attachment 178788

First and foremost I was out of some chicken stock…

View attachment 178787

… and I had carrots way past their prime, celery starting to oxidize, garlic getting rubbery, wrinkling bell peppers, so-so yellow onions and some thyme starting to desiccate. Also had a fresh chicken carcass from this week’s cooking and a Ziploc bag of roasted chicken remnants purposefully thawing in the fridge. Enough stuff there to get substantial cutting comparison of these four… yet not nearly half of what I’d call satisfying.

View attachment 178789

For IDs the Nakiri is Matsubara 165mm A#2, the Santoku Kaji-Bei 165mm A#2, longer but leaner Bunka is Makoto Kurosaki 180mm SG2 and the other one Yoshikane 165mm SKD. Without further ado except that I’ll feel obligated to comment each pic, some highlights…

View attachment 178790
These two were the best for celery, but the Kurosaki fared about just as well. The Yoshikane had some bouts of stiction there and was already losing ground.

View attachment 178791
Yoshi acting up again, and this time I couldn’t deprive you guys of just how terrible and redundant that is in my experience of three from that maker. I mean if I was falsifying the evidence here I would probably have thought more realistic to have a couple stuck pieces less in a bit more randomly stuck fashion, but this is… woah. Even worse is that if release happen from next cuts pushing the stuck ones, it eventually results with stuff flying everywhere. Kurosaki once again performed real nicely.

View attachment 178792
Again these two were the very best. There was enough carrots for two per knife + extras for good behavior, and the extras went to the Kaji-Bei.

View attachment 178793
Oh well… for sakes of fair representation, I’ve solely elected the Yoshikane to effortlessly produce the cleanest of a roll cut here…. Effortlessly as in “for my technique” with a cut I don’t tend to use much but thought would be a good test for that reason. It’s a point to be sad about really since I like how the Yoshi cuts, I like how it handles, I like the shape of it and how naturally I can use it and how excellent it is for detailing, but it will just invariably get too much sticking of whatever I’m bulk cutting…

View attachment 178794
Kaji-Bei for a full onion dice since it’s so good at it.

View attachment 178795
Playing a bit with cutting “petals” going into radials and then cutting the stack in half after a 90* turn. Goal was to incur the less possible displacement to the onion halves throughout the whole operation without any special from of forced containment. I must say the Matsubara did better than I expected out of the grind here, but some tamed initial sticking was enough to incur noticeable displacement, especially with the onion half to the left where part of the final cut stuck long enough to stand obvious… yet mostly it did nice quite effortlessly.

View attachment 178796
Then the M. Kurosaki did awesomely well of a half dice even where release is nothing like the Kaji-Bei, and easily as good as Matsubara Nakiri for the petals. Rivaling for top of the podium once again – and it did a roll cut closely as nice and as naturally as the Yoshikane with its allotted bell pepper.

Nice. I really embrace the 180-ish range.

My Yoshi from Epic Edge doesn't suffer stiction too badly and is a joy to use. It's my one true nail-flex edge yet feels substantial. My Yu Kurosaki bunka is a stiction aficionado.

Nice. I really embrace the 180-ish range.

My Yoshi from Epic Edge doesn't suffer stiction too badly and is a joy to use. It's my one true nail-flex edge yet feels substantial. My Yu Kurosaki bunka is a stiction aficionado.

I'm not condemning them to anyone neither. It's my experience of these and it's all to do with how I cut. I'm thinking for those who naturally tend towards pull cutting the stiction problem may not be so much of one. I've found them poor in push cutting and barely adequate in straight chopping. I'm mostly saddened that each time it came to signify not a bad knife at all, but just one that won't stand up to its competition in my rotation.

This one especially is sad... liked it even more in profile and handling, and as a unit it's just about perfectly crafted with the handle just about perfectly fitted. It's like 95% of what I'd want to keep but the 5% that stirs me is non-negotiable towards other knives I own.

Thinness BTE or straight cutting performance - yeah absolutely. SKD steel... yeah absolutely.

I'm sad.

Back