Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today feels like a TF day
Did somebody say TF?
20220817_180354.jpg

How do you like it next to the Munetoshi?

Very preliminary but initial impressions are it's quite a different knife so personal preference or task desires will be key.

The Manaka is pretty well finished and I think quite attractive. With the octagonal walnut handle and overall F&F, it far exceeds the Munetoshi on just looks.

The Manaka is a taller knife and although it's only around 10g heavier, it feels much more substantial in hand. Although I don't think it would be close to right to call it a work horse, it definitely leans more to worker than laser. More so than the Munetoshi which on the sliding scale in my melon would be passed the laser/worker center line but not as far to the W as Manaka. That makes sense in my brain, not sure about here... 😁

Again, it isn't a monster by any stretch, just beefier feeling than the Munetoshi. I find they both have some cracking in thicker carrots and probably about equal on stiction.

It's a very nice knife, especially at the price.

That help? Anything specific I can check out for you?

Last edited:
View attachment 195720
Hisamoto 240 arrived today! TF💪🏼💪🏼
First of all, I apologize for making this a reply when what I really wanted to do is just post to the forum. I am ashamed to admit I couldn't see how to do that. No obvious icon to click. Second, attached is a little video of my 2010 vintage custom Kramer Santoku. The knife has been "abused" in that for years, I cleaned it with a 3M green kitchen pad, per the original care instructions received from Bob. A year or so ago I noticed scratches and have polished it a few times with 15 micron or finer sandpaper, sometimes with a bit of tsunami oil. Also, for a while I used an Edge Pro to sharpen on the theory that I could remove the minimum amount of metal and follow the existing angle, but was persuaded by this forum that the Edge Pro is unmanly as well as having other technical flaws. Since then, I have used either Zwilling synthetic stones or an Ohira JNAT I bought years ago but my skills are at best mediocre.

Attachments

• Kramer Santoku.MOV
    22.7 MB
Another new handle, this time for my Kagekiyo honyaki

View attachment 196084

View attachment 196083

I know that's just lighting and angle, but if those blades actually had that contrast of light and dark, with the hamon waves just as visible, those would be absolutely stunning.

Of course the kagekiyo knives are already quite picturesque, and that handle is really something to talk about. Great package all around

Found this just in front of my front door under shifting sands moments ago. Had taken apart the deck in front before summer and it took quite a few months for this to surface. I don't know if this was used as a box cutter or mushroom knife or how long it's been down there (been living here since 11/2016 and it's not my knife). Should be an ok veggie knife after sharpening, who knows.

IMG_20220901_160837.jpg

Back