Favorite honesuki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 224215

@MSicardCutlery in 52100 and fully sealed cherry handle. At 165mm this one is a little longer than most common commercial offerings which tend to be around 150 but I wanted a little more versatility as I also like to break down turkeys.

My Masakane has been sitting in it's box ever since this one landed. I love it.

I used to want to collect a few honesuki. Just love the idea of them. But, this guy kinda put the damper on that notion. I do have a Toyama honesuki as my current screen background cuz it is sexy but the fire to get another has really dimmed. And I'm totally okay with that!

:)
That's fancy!

+1 on Misono Swedish

Attachments

• 1CC377CA-289E-4D2A-ABB6-FC7FF4956FB4.jpeg
    1CC377CA-289E-4D2A-ABB6-FC7FF4956FB4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Spoken like a true professional, thank you for the tips
The label professional might apply to tgfencer but keep in mind it does not apply to me. Though my opinions are usually based on at least some first-hand experience, they are still the experience of someone who's only using their knives in a home setting.
As always 'your mileage may vary'; knife opinions and preferences are often inherently personal, and opinions of other random people on the internet may or may not overlap with your own preferences.

The label professional might apply to tgfencer but keep in mind it does not apply to me. Though my opinions are usually based on at least some first-hand experience, they are still the experience of someone who's only using their knives in a home setting.
As always 'your mileage may vary'; knife opinions and preferences are often inherently personal, and opinions of other random people on the internet may or may not overlap with your own preferences.
What are your thoughts on the Ashi honesuki?

Out of the two I’ve tried.. the single bevel Hatsukokoro wins. Slightly more delicate at the edge, my own fault, but in hand feel is really really nice. Heavy and rough cut, it’s just right for extended chicken dissection.
98F7498B-9541-44FA-9E47-31392F9B46DE.jpeg

Out of the two I’ve tried.. the single bevel Hatsukokoro wins. Slightly more delicate at the edge, my own fault, but in hand feel is really really nice. Heavy and rough cut, it’s just right for extended chicken dissection. View attachment 224258
I'll definitely pick one up at home butcher when they come back on sale

Out of the two I’ve tried.. the single bevel Hatsukokoro wins. Slightly more delicate at the edge, my own fault, but in hand feel is really really nice. Heavy and rough cut, it’s just right for extended chicken dissection. View attachment 224258
How do you keep water out of the handle? Is it just sealed well?

If I had to choose one between what I have and owned (180 Heiji, 180 Toyama, 165 Yoshikane, 150 Watanabe, 150 Shigefusa and 150 Konosuke) I'd keep the 180 Toyama with a burnt chestnut handle...good balance, knuckle clearance, sharpens nicely and versatile length. The Heiji is always in my kit as well since I use it for other things and I like the steel better but the heel is too low for extended sessions. The Wat and Kono were thiner which was nice for squab and smaller birds but the Kono was double bevel. The Shig is just sexy but smaller than I like. I tend to prefer a traditional single bevel, thicker spine, wa handle and carbon all the way.

They're fun little knives that sharpen easily but not necessary. My lead prep cook smokes me speed and precision wise with his curved Victorinox 5.6606.15. I let him use my knives whenever he wants but he still prefers a boning knife over a garasuki and a sujihiki over a deba for breaking down salmon...he uses deba for all other fish though.

IMG_5249.jpeg

What are your thoughts on the Ashi honesuki?
I don't have many since I never used or even saw one up close - though I do own an Ashi 210 petty but:
-Ashi's have a reputation of being a bit of a thin laser, however from what I've seen the honesuki's are significantly thicker, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about them being too delicate.
-I really like the cutting feedback from their monosteel (monosteel in general).
-They're one of the few brands who offers both western and wa handle options.
-For reasons outlined above personally I'd lean towards the western handled version. I bought my petty with a wa handle and basically consider a mistake; I end up babying the handle because 'it's too pretty to get dirty'.
-The one potential flaw I see is that on my Ashi petty the spine is at least somewhat eased.... if they also did this on the honesuki this would actually make the spine worse for scraping.

If I had to choose one between what I have and owned (180 Heiji, 180 Toyama, 165 Yoshikane, 150 Watanabe, 150 Shigefusa and 150 Konosuke) I'd keep the 180 Toyama with a burnt chestnut handle...good balance, knuckle clearance, sharpens nicely and versatile length. The Heiji is always in my kit as well since I use it for other things and I like the steel better but the heel is too low for extended sessions. The Wat and Kono were thiner which was nice for squab and smaller birds but the Kono was double bevel. The Shig is just sexy but smaller than I like. I tend to prefer a traditional single bevel, thicker spine, wa handle and carbon all the way.

They're fun little knives that sharpen easily but not necessary. My lead prep cook smokes me speed and precision wise with his curved Victorinox 5.6606.15. I let him use my knives whenever he wants but he still prefers a boning knife over a garasuki and a sujihiki over a deba for breaking down salmon...he uses deba for all other fish though.

View attachment 224259
Is the 180mm Toyama marketed as a garasuki?

I don't have many since I never used or even saw one up close - though I do own an Ashi 210 petty but:
-Ashi's have a reputation of being a bit of a thin laser, however from what I've seen the honesuki's are significantly thicker, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about them being too delicate.
-I really like the cutting feedback from their monosteel (monosteel in general).
-They're one of the few brands who offers both western and wa handle options.
-For reasons outlined above personally I'd lean towards the western handled version. I bought my petty with a wa handle and basically consider a mistake; I end up babying the handle because 'it's too pretty to get dirty'.
-The one potential flaw I see is that on my Ashi petty the spine is at least somewhat eased.... if they also did this on the honesuki this would actually make the spine worse for scraping.
The wa Ashi honesukis look nice, I'd love one if I could find a lefty version. Eased spine not an issue—I never use my spine for scraping, ...just scrap along the board with the blade.

Yeah I guess not everyone bothers to scrape with their spine. I don't necessarily have a problem with edge-scraping either; all of my butchering knives are soft enough that I'm not really worried about chipping, but it feels like a waste of edge quality when a sharp spine does the same job just as well.

How do you keep water out of the handle? Is it just sealed well?
I don’t. I try not to soak the handle in water or juices, generally it’s not too bad.

The wenge makes me uncomfortable tho. I don’t like the uniform holes (it’s some weird feeling) and I don’t really like the idea of stuff getting in them.

Kinda wish I could get rid of it but it’s one of the few that I have with a horn ferrule.. I’m a ways away from trying my own wa handle.

They just posted on instagram that code start2023 is still active, guess they are watching the thread…
Yeah, I'm just waiting for the Hatsukokoro honesukis to be in stock. I'd even prefer the white #2 version

I have been really interested in picking one of these unique little guys up but wanted to know what the community's favorite honesukis are.

I have 2 Honesuki knives. I really like one and absolutely love the other!

1 Shun 4.5” / 115 mm KAJI ((R-2))

2. TAKEDA NA 160 mm / 6.3”

Had the SHUN first. Wanted to go TAKEDA.

The TAKEDA is really nice, heavy (more aptly described as “stout”) It is a powerful tool for heavy work - I really like the TAKEDA

The SHUN KAJI is smaller and just feels better. I cut more precisely and deftly with it.
The R2 stays SHARP FOREVER.

It is less stout, and with R2 I do not go through bones - but cartilege is OK.

Hey, it’ a boning knife not a cleaver!!! It ezcells at cleaning up a brisket or tri-tip and getting all that heavy fat. I like it for breaking down whole chickens too - because of my bias for shorter blades

I tend to favor smaller (shorter) blades so I am most comfortable with the SHUN KAJI HONESUKI - I LOVE IT!

Yeah, can't say I'd recommend it at that price point over other options. Unfortunately that's the trend these days. They used to be a lot cheaper, but I won't tell you how much because it's a bit depressing.
At least you got the benefit of being early to the party!

I have 2 Honesuki knives. I really like one and absolutely love the other!

1 Shun 4.5” / 115 mm KAJI ((R-2))

2. TAKEDA NA 160 mm / 6.3”

Had the SHUN first. Wanted to go TAKEDA.

The TAKEDA is really nice, heavy (more aptly described as “stout”) It is a powerful tool for heavy work - I really like the TAKEDA

The SHUN KAJI is smaller and just feels better. I cut more precisely and deftly with it.
The R2 stays SHARP FOREVER.

It is less stout, and with R2 I do not go through bones - but cartilege is OK.

Hey, it’ a boning knife not a cleaver!!! It ezcells at cleaning up a brisket or tri-tip and getting all that heavy fat. I like it for breaking down whole chickens too - because of my bias for shorter blades

I tend to favor smaller (shorter) blades so I am most comfortable with the SHUN KAJI HONESUKI - I LOVE IT!
Those takedas look so nice to use

Yeah, I'm just waiting for the Hatsukokoro honesukis to be in stock. I'd even prefer the white #2 version
I’ve never seen them in white 2, I’m sure the difference wouldn’t be astronomical.

They were 40% off at tosho a while ago, plus being sharpened by the older myojin I couldn’t resist. Apparently the smith is an old knifewear employee too. All sorts of coolness factor.

I will say that basically any honesuki (assuming decent quality steel) should do the job. There’s very little that cripples the function of going through small joints - the double bevel s. Tanaka pictured does a good job too, it’s just not as fun.

I’ve never seen them in white 2, I’m sure the difference wouldn’t be astronomical.

They were 40% off at tosho a while ago, plus being sharpened by the older myojin I couldn’t resist. Apparently the smith is an old knifewear employee too. All sorts of coolness factor.

I will say that basically any honesuki (assuming decent quality steel) should do the job. There’s very little that cripples the function of going through small joints - the double bevel s. Tanaka pictured does a good job too, it’s just not as fun.
The white one has a migaki finish and I have a single bevel kiritsuke in the same line and I really enjoy the bite the edge takes.

Back