Favorite honesuki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a carter muteki deba at 191 grams 175mm, but for cutting ribs apart and for utility, look at this bruiser. They are listed on different sites at 280-290g. Short pakka handle means all that weight is in the blade. I like the idea of stainless, though this one is carbon. It seems if I slicing up raw chicken for the pan and then serving and eating, or cutting ribs apart off the BBQ, I don't want to mess with clean-up till later...like an hour or 2 later. I feel like I have enough carbon blades, but I might wait for a sale or find this one used:

https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio.../sakai-kikumori-nihonko-carbon-garasuki-180mm

Last edited:
I have a carter muteki deba at 191 grams 175mm, but for cutting ribs apart and for utility, look at this bruiser. They are listed on different sites at 280-290g. Short pakka handle means all that weight is in the blade. I like the idea of stainless, though this one is carbon. It seems if I slicing up raw chicken for the pan and then serving and eating, or cutting ribs apart off the BBQ, I don't want to mess with clean-up till later...like an hour or 2 later. I feel like I have enough carbon blades, but I might wait for a sale or find this one used:

https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio.../sakai-kikumori-nihonko-carbon-garasuki-180mm
That's really nice! Definitely looks like it would perform well and I like the asymmetric grind

They’re referring to scraping bones clean, e.g. frenching, not scraping product off your cutting board…
I've NEVER EVER used the spine for scraping meat off the bone! Flipping over the knife is too counterintuitive for me, not much upside.
For this roast, I used the blade edge of a 150 Shihan petter for Frenching—no issue, expedient, no chips.
Don't think the spine of my honesuki or butcher's knife has ever tasted meat.

ED55A12C-A976-4794-94B1-7397926008D8.jpg

FCF08D4E-43EC-49E0-BA7B-EBBC63F75428.jpg

9528252D-5253-44A0-8DE0-9B03DF826FE6.jpg

I don’t. I try not to soak the handle in water or juices, generally it’s not too bad.

The wenge makes me uncomfortable tho. I don’t like the uniform holes (it’s some weird feeling) and I don’t really like the idea of stuff getting in them.

Kinda wish I could get rid of it but it’s one of the few that I have with a horn ferrule.. I’m a ways away from trying my own wa handle.

I have sealed exposed wood with melted wax or several coats of nail polish.

After reading through this, I am curious what the specs would be of a good all-around honesuki. Like if I were to look at all the most popular gyutos on here, Yanick, Fujiyama, etc. I would say 240/55/3-4 would be a Gyuto that you can’t go wrong with and most folks here would be quite happy with. What would the specs be for a good all-around people pleaser honesuki?

After reading through this, I am curious what the specs would be of a good all-around honesuki. Like if I were to look at all the most popular gyutos on here, Yanick, Fujiyama, etc. I would say 240/55/3-4 would be a Gyuto that you can’t go wrong with and most folks here would be quite happy with. What would the specs be for a good all-around people pleaser honesuki?
That would likely make a great separate thread.

Speaking of garasuki, there don’t seem to be many true single bevel options out there. Any opinions on Sakai Kiku’s Tokujo vs Yasahiro’s Josaku garas ?

Last edited:
Haven’t used a high end one, and this is the only knife that I still use the first one I bought and never felt that I needed better. For what it’s worth it’s a Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef in an AEB-L equivalent; really tough and at the same time very easy to sharpen or strop back in no time. I’ve broken down a lot of poultry and meat and fish with it and almost never use something else for chickens.

If I really have to do an S-load of poultry including cutting through breastbones and backbones, especially Turkey, I’ll use a Tadayoshi double edged deba, a Tosa forged butakiri I got from JwW way back can’t remember if it’s white or blue, or a massive Tanaka Ginsan cleaver. Of note also is that I use other knives for fish or meat, so if I were using it for more than chicken I might want one of the suggestions above.

Haven’t used a high end one, and this is the only knife that I still use the first one I bought and never felt that I needed better. For what it’s worth it’s a Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef in an AEB-L equivalent; really tough and at the same time very easy to sharpen or strop back in no time. I’ve broken down a lot of poultry and meat and fish with it and almost never use something else for chickens.

If I really have to do an S-load of poultry including cutting through breastbones and backbones, especially Turkey, I’ll use a Tadayoshi double edged deba, a Tosa forged butakiri I got from JwW way back can’t remember if it’s white or blue, or a massive Tanaka Ginsan cleaver. Of note also is that I use other knives for fish or meat, so if I were using it for more than chicken I might want one of the suggestions above.
Always want a Yo-deba since I saw Rick’s video with it, seems like a beast. That aside I order a single bevel garasuki from a younger Chinese maker, cost slightly more than Hatsukokoro but I like his stuff.

Got this Masahiro Bessaku 180mm.

Semi stainless and doesn't rust when neglected. It's a tough durable knife with good edge retention, boxed edge was screaming but did have to sand the rosewood scales inline with the tang. Cost £45 and now can't justify a upgrade.

Just chucking it into your list of options.

Two images: one from the box and the other after eighteen months use.
Screenshot_20230210_082527_Photos~2.jpg
RDT_20210926_0010498465582284654919770.png

Last edited:
I originally signed up to the forum because I wanted a honesuki, but never got one. Since signing up, I bought two gyutos and many Shapton glass stones. I know better than to come read these threads, but I can't myself sometimes. I have this one loaded in the cart, but I think I will wait on this one. Very tempting, but I'm looking at new pans too.

I originally signed up to the forum because I wanted a honesuki, but never got one. Since signing up, I bought two gyutos and many Shapton glass stones. I know better than to come read these threads, but I can't myself sometimes. I have this one loaded in the cart, but I think I will wait on this one. Very tempting, but I'm looking at new pans too.

Sent ya message. :)

Back