Good non stick fry pan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madelinez

Catcheside Fanatic
Reaction score
I realized the other day I only have cast iron pans left after slowly throwing out my teflon pans over the years.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a medium or high quality non stick pan, mainly for acidic stuff but also lazy eggs and that kind of thing?

I only buy my non-stick pans from the restaurant supply stores now. I find them on the “very goof” side of the scale. Very inexpensive.

I've liked and still like the offerings from Swiss Diamond. But recently have purchased (and have been gifted) a couple from Vollrath, mine are from the Intrigue line for home use. They are induction compatible and look like they'll hold up awhile.

https://www.wasserstrom.com/restaur...ue®-mirror-finish-s-s-10-15-16-fry-pan-134727
For work non-stick, I've tried them all. Between the abuse, the high temp dish machines, high temp cooking, even "good" ones fail within a few months. I now buy $20 pans for work and throw them away after 6 months. Breaking out a new one is like giving the cook his favorite cookie.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a medium or high quality non stick pan

I don't have non-stick pans anymore. I had a couple of non-stick pans when share-housing. The quality of the cheap pans compared to more expensive ones didn't seem immediately obvious - I never spent much more than the cheapest. Like you, I now don't have any left and am only using cast-iron / stainless (happy to do lazy eggs and acidic food in the cast iron!).

I'd echo the other recommendations. Get any $20 pan you like... use your savings for other durable kitchen tools I reckon!

These are highly rated : Buy Madura Plus | Official ZWILLING Shop

66ccda51-e98a-47f6-928f-5214ab7fab10--2015-0916_zwilling_madura-plus-nonstick-fry-pan_family_...jpeg

In my experience the price of a pan just makes you hold on to it longer when it no longer performs.
Been through Scan pans, Tefals, Random Korean brands...
These days I just buy whatever is non PFOA and heavily discounted. Or IKEA and try to cook everything on carbon

I’ve tossed all my Teflon pots & pans, changed to ceramic for a while. Between top rated green pans & zwlling ceramic, the Zwlling lasts much longer.

After I switched to French carbon steel flat bottom wok, I haven’t touched the ceramics coated. The seasoned carbon steel pan don’t stick & the food tastes better.

Agree with the cheap approach, but I find myself very rarely using non-stick these days (so they last longer!) - carbon steel does most things better, and anything acidic is a prime candidate for stainless. The only things that really need or benefit from non-stick are scrambled eggs and delicate fish fillets. Possibly fried rice too, unless you've got a good patina going on your carbon pans.

I’m happy with Tramontina pans for nonstick. That’s usually what we use for scrambled eggs, omelettes, etc... Occasionally fish. Our usual morning egg pan is a 10 inch with no rivets on the inside, which is kinda amazing for cleanup. (It’s probably slightly less strong than pans with exposed rivets, but whatever, I cook at home.)

Agree with the cheap approach, but I find myself very rarely using non-stick these days (so they last longer!) - carbon steel does most things better, and anything acidic is a prime candidate for stainless. The only things that really need or benefit from non-stick are scrambled eggs and delicate fish fillets. Possibly fried rice too, unless you've got a good patina going on your carbon pans.
I have 3 letters for you re: fried rice. Wok :) amazing with a nice ultra thin carbon wok

I agree with All-Clad, have had two for more than 5 years.

I've also had good luck with the aluminum ones from Sam's Club. Just picked up a 12" last week for $20. Last one lasted at least 5 years.

I think I paid $12 bucks for this at a good restaurant supply house. It wears out, I toss it. It’s almost time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 17
Heathy ranking of non stick options:

Carbon steel/Cast ion > Ceramic > PTFE

Most non stick options are PTFE, they might use fancy names such as diamond coating lol, it’s still PTFE, known to release toxic components when highly heated. Even the ceramic, the material itself is healthy but the process to coat may use chemicals with issues unknown at this time, so its better option than PTFE but it’s still questionable.

Last edited:
I just preseason my cast iron after acid foods - I use All-Clad non-stick because I had them before my Field Cast Iron but I keep the temperature down and never put them in the oven.

It turns out that Teflon (at a high temperature) breaks down into nasty gases that destroys the lungs of parrots - I'm talking death within a few minutes - and it's not so crash hot for humans either.
birds-turkey-fumes.jpg

Also, Google "Teflon Baby".
I don't like to use the stuff. And besides, I can get really good non-stick results on a stainless steel surface.
Teflon_Can_t_Take_The_Heat_1024x1024.jpg

It turns out that Teflon (at a high temperature) breaks down into nasty gases that destroys the lungs of parrots - I'm talking death within a few minutes - and it's not so crash hot for humans either.
birds-turkey-fumes.jpg

Also, Google "Teflon Baby".
I don't like to use the stuff. And besides, I can get really good non-stick results on a stainless steel surface.
Teflon_Can_t_Take_The_Heat_1024x1024.jpg
Wow. Hope those weren't your birds!!!

Back