Hexclad Pots & Pans or other recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to help my mom replace some crappy cookware. she has some calphalon stuff and other random items, but needs to replace some stuff. She is 80 and can't work with heavier cookware any longer but still enjoys cooking. She much prefers cleaning pans in the dishwasher so that is a key factor. She is typically only cooking for herself and maybe one other person on occasion so large capacity stewpots/dutch ovens are not a necessity.

I was looking at some of the hexclad stuff and it seems like it might fit what she is looking for. Her condo has a glass-top electric cooktop (non-induction). Curious about anyone's experience with Hexclad or other products that might fit.

thanks!

Hexclad is a scam. Or at least they are dishonest in their marketing of their products as nonstick. Is nonstick a requirement for all or most of the cookware?

Most of my stainless cookware is from All Clad, but I've never paid full price for it. Their D3 line is not too heavy but is thick enough to not scorch. It's expensive at retail, but don't buy retail. They have an official website where they periodically sell open box and imperfect pans at a solid discount, but you have to sign up to be able to shop the sales. The other main authorized retailer of factory seconds is Capital Cookware, who I have purchased from on eBay.

Made In makes pans of similar stainless clad aluminum construction and they're well regarded. Their handles may be more to your mother's liking as well (some people don't like the classic All Clad handles for some reason).

There’s also some discount on Demeyere & Zwilling cladded pans on Cutlery and more, they are nice and thick. Hexclad is just regular Teflon pan with metal pattern exposed, you can buy one on AliExpress, and I find it kind awkward between a full nonstick or a full stainless

Hexclad is a scam. Or at least they are dishonest in their marketing of their products as nonstick. Is nonstick a requirement for all or most of the cookware?

Nonstick is only a requirement on a skillet or two. she has a couple of tramontina nonstick fying pans that are ok. Good to know about the hexclad nonstick BS, thanks. I thought that the hexclad hex-stick coating or whatever would be easier to clean for her than food that might get stuck-on stainless so that was one of the reasons i was drawn to something like the hexclad. I will look into some of the d3 products, thanks!

Buy and replace non stick stuff. That’s my motto.

I’ve bought the $75+ stuff like “our place” and “caraway” and it all scratches and becomes useless after a year anyway. Now I buy ceramic stuff from a store like Home Goods for $5 and be done.

Im a fan of the All clad d3 line as well

Nonstick is only a requirement on a skillet or two. she has a couple of tramontina nonstick fying pans that are ok. Good to know about the hexclad nonstick BS, thanks. I thought that the hexclad hex-stick coating or whatever would be easier to clean for her than food that might get stuck-on stainless so that was one of the reasons i was drawn to something like the hexclad. I will look into some of the d3 products, thanks!

I have several non-stick and stainless Made In pans from 8" skillets to 3.5qt saucier. The non-stick holds up well if treated properly. For the stainless, some Bar Keepers Friend (powder) and scouring pads work wonders on even the toughest stuff.

Tramontina isn't bad though.

I think the wok is okay (with the constraint you need to use it on electric, and care more about volume than searing performance) but I have a Chinese knockoff that is like a third-to-half the price. There's probably no reason to buy Hexclad when the Chinese knockoffs are way cheaper and actually seem better quality. Honestly mine is relatively non-stick. Less than Teflon, but probably similar to cast iron.

I think the wok is okay (with the constraint you need to use it on electric, and care more about volume than searing performance) but I have a Chinese knockoff that is like a third-to-half the price. There's probably no reason to buy Hexclad when the Chinese knockoffs are way cheaper and actually seem better quality. Honestly mine is relatively non-stick. Less than Teflon, but probably similar to cast iron.
Not even knock off, this stuff took off in China first and now every major brands make them from cheap to ultra expensive

I have no idea who did the honeycomb first, but definitely not HexClad, here’s a commercial before them

I got this exact pan as a gift a few years ago from my dad (he’s a great guy but a sucker for those old TV infomercials) and it was… awful. Doesn’t get hot enough to sear meat properly without ruining the Teflon coating. The pan lasted like 3 weeks of daily use before everything stuck to it regardless of temp & oil/ butter

There’s also some discount on Demeyere & Zwilling cladded pans on Cutlery and more, they are nice and thick. Hexclad is just regular Teflon pan with metal pattern exposed, you can buy one on AliExpress, and I find it kind awkward between a full nonstick or a full stainless
Demeyere is pretty heavy stuff. I’d stay away for mom.

Something to consider also is that for pots, you don't need sidewall cladding. A disc bottom is sufficient so buying something like Tramontina for those is fine. Then you can put a little more into the frying pans.

That also cuts down on the weight of the pots which in this case might be helpful.

I have 4 of Made-In stainless line, and I like them all, some more than others. Like their Italian made pots more than the US made that I have. I have that same 3.5 qt saucier, and it has become my most used pot. The 10qt rondeau is a great pot, but a little big and bulky, but they have a 6 and 4 qt. I also bought a Sardel 12" non-stick in the last year, and it's holding up well, plus it's not heavy. My wife likes the honeycomb design it has. Sardel gave me a link a while back that I posted here where someone can get $40. Don't know if it had an expiration.

I have mostly stainless steel pans, but I do have one hexclad frying pan I mostly use for browning things where I’m concerned with sticking (i.e. scallops, fish). I’d describe it as partially nonstick - it falls somewhere between true nonstick and stainless. It’s held up much better than pure nonstick, and I use it at higher heat than I would with regular nonstick. Arguably I should be using cast iron instead of hexclad for this application, but inertia….

Cleanup is very easy, the only issue is that the stainless parts of the pan (the rim mostly) have to be cleaned as stainless - i.e. I have to break out the barkeeper’s friend where there’s grease stains.

If I could only have one set of pots and pans out of a big box set to last me for the next 10 years, I’d choose stainless first, hexclad second, nonstick last.

thanks everyone. looking like there's some great stuff in the made-in lineup that could really work for her. i think the 7 pc nonstick set plus a couple of clad items might be a really good way to go for her actually. i know she will really like the non-stick 3.5 qt saute pan. as a bonus, that harbour blue color matches her kitchen really well. maybe not the most important thing but she will appreciate it.

I normally use le creuset nonstick frying pans. They are great, a bit expensive, but worth every buck! Use two almost daily and they are almost good as they were the day I bought them 5 years ago!

IMG_0679.jpeg

They are really good also because they are all metal, so quite good to use them in the oven as well as in the stove top!

I use some seasoned cast iron pans as well for proteins, any one is great and you can make it nonstick quite easily. The maillard reaction on these are the best! Sometimes when I don’t use frying pans or skillets, I go directly to a dutch oven, great not to have to clean your stove top haha

Another vote for made in. I have some stainless and non stick pans from them. Work well for a decent price.
I have one Made-in pot and it is not as polished as my All Clad pot and pans so it is a little harder to clean. Maybe after 10 years it of using barkeepers friend it will be as smooth. This is just my take.

Most of my stainless cookware is from All Clad, but I've never paid full price for it. Their D3 line is not too heavy but is thick enough to not scorch. It's expensive at retail, but don't buy retail. They have an official website where they periodically sell open box and imperfect pans at a solid discount, but you have to sign up to be able to shop the sales. The other main authorized retailer of factory seconds is Capital Cookware, who I have purchased from on eBay.

Made In makes pans of similar stainless clad aluminum construction and they're well regarded. Their handles may be more to your mother's liking as well (some people don't like the classic All Clad handles for some reason).

This is the way. All-Clad are built like tanks. I bought my pans from their website on sale and the discounts are pretty good.

I have one Made-in pot and it is not as polished as my All Clad pot and pans so it is a little harder to clean. Maybe after 10 years it of using barkeepers friend it will be as smooth. This is just my take.
Yeah I don't disagree that All Clad makes a better product but I'm not sure its twice as good as the price would suggest. For a home cook, Made in strikes a good balance on price/performance imo.

Yeah I don't disagree that All Clad makes a better product but I'm not sure its twice as good as the price would suggest. For a home cook, Made in strikes a good balance on price/performance imo.

maybe their stainless is better than their carbon steel. based on the latter I can't imagine ever buying another product from them.

Back