High end frying pan recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to own a Mauviel copper sauce pan that I LOVED for it's heat transfer that was somehow so smooth, even and naturally feeling that it spoke to me. Alas, it did not work in induction so I gave it to my best friend.
BTW re-tinning can be done DIY :)

Expensive?? Lots of good non-copper cookware is also expensive. Maybe not as expensive as copper,i basically have no clue and I don't care. Compared to the fact that it will last forever it's not expensive unless you are rushing to buy new each year. Copper has superior heat conducting capability. Heavy? Your are absolutely right but so is cast iron! The headline reads "high end". Copper is high end and the best. I've been using copper cookware almost exclusively the last 15 years and I have not tried all there is on the market of other products. Of course you can prepare wonderfull food with other types.

Real copper cookware is expensive and heavy, so there's not much point in buying it unless it does things that other really good cookware can't do.

Expensive?? Lots of good non-copper cookware is also expensive. Maybe not as expensive as copper,i basically have no clue and I don't care. ... Copper is high end and the best. I've been using copper cookware almost exclusively the last 15 years and I have not tried all there is on the market of other products. Of course you can prepare wonderful food with other types.

Demeyere makes some very good cookware. In a naive 1D model, their 7ply 4.8mm aluminum core pans should compare well with a 2.9mm copper core pan in terms of thermal conductivity / heat uniformity. Assuming there is a copper core pan that thick (I think there are tin or silver lined ones, but I will wait for a stainless induction safe one...) the aluminum core pan should have more than twice as much heat capacity. This is a good thing if you are searing meat or cooking something at constant temperature but a bad thing for if you want to change temperatures. Personally, I would love a copper core pan with >3mm copper core so I wouldn't have to sit around waiting for my pan to pre-heat.

Regarding expense, I think copper clad stainless is more expensive but you're not talking 2x compared to similarly performing aluminum clad stainless. For instance, in terms of thermal conductivity, the Falk copper coeur line is comparable to the demeyere industry line. Their 11 in pans are of comparable size. The Falk is ~270 and the demeyere is ~200. The Falk is 2.3 kg vs 1.5 kg. A copper pan should always be heavier than a similarly conductive aluminum pan.

A fun tidbit: In this 1D model, a cast iron pan with the same thermal conductivity as a demeyere 7ply 12.5 in pan would need to be ~30mm thick and would weigh about ~30 kg! To copy an all-clad tri-ply, you need ~10mm at ~10 kg and for the falk copper coeur, ~20mm at ~20 kg.

Of course, I think the only time you need such high thermal conductivity is on induction because the area of hot metal is smallest compared to electric (coil or otherwise) and gas. Maybe if the gas stove is made poorly...

In CH check out Noser Inox - Bratpfannen - Haushalt

They're ubiquitous in commercial kitchens, well made and great value. I don't use induction, but can't see why a decent disc bottom frying pan wouldn't be ideal - ply pans only make sense for me on gas, where you are trying to avoid hot spots where the disc ends and the flame hits the steel directly.
On induction you can get the opposite problem; cold spots around the disk.

I bought it to ensure the non stick coating would evaporate within weeks having a couple of teens who sometimes 'cook' stuff, against those odds no cheap non stick pan can compete ...I recently threw out a fairly new pan in which one of them made, well rather; cremated, oatmeal.

So far it does cater for my incompetence too as it seems to work keeping a great balance between frying and not burning.

+1 on the warning for the weight on the Fissler frying pans, tossing makes using them a work-out
Even if they won't evaporate it they'll just scratch it or find some other way to destroy it. ;) Personally I have yet to find a non-stick pan that lasts more than 5 years before it starts inserting teflon into your food, no matter the price range. Can't say I ever really have issues with burning anything, but I'm on gas.

I can only say copper. Cast iron has its merits but beside that forget all that aluminium/stainless steel cookware. Mauviel (their 250), Bourgeat or Falk. If you have induction Falk's new Coppercore works on induction. It is the best and not that expensive.
In what universe is 270 euros for a 28 cm pan not expensive? :| It even makes deMeyere look very affordable...I'm sure it works well but especially for a frying pan it's not like it's really doing anything a triply stainless pan couldnt.

Another fun idea is graphite core fry pans. Graphite by itself has thermal conductivity roughly 75% of aluminum but is 25% as dense. If you align graphite in the right way, I read it has 2x the thermal conductivity of copper! This is the first material I've heard of with the potential to beat copper in making a thermally conductive pan with low heat capacity. All-clad, in 2018, filed a patent for graphite strips or plates in the core of a fry pan.

"In what universe is 270 euros for a 28 cm pan not expensive? :| It even makes deMeyere look very affordable...I'm sure it works well but especially for a frying pan it's not like it's really doing anything a triply stainless pan couldnt."

Everything is relative. 270 Euros are not cheap in the cookware world but neither probhibitevely expensive nor is the relatively low price (compared to your car, house etc. etc.) a major issue considering the fact that you can have the pan for the rest of your life :)

I think pans are much like tradesmen's tools. The difference between a Hilti and a Black & Decker is striking. You get what you pay for.

I once dropped a Hilti electric drill (which weighed north of 10 kg) from the 13th floor of a building. It had a 12 mm drill bit attached. The Hilti landed on concrete with the drill bit pointing down. The drill bit was bent. And the Hilti never noticed…

@MarcelNL with his recent mention of Demeyere ControlInduc - which loses its ability to absorb induction energy when the pan reaches overheating temperature - is certainly very interesting. I believe his is non-stick but I think they're available without that too. I don't know whether any special cooking techniques are "regulated out of existence" by this prevention of overheating, which is said to cut off the heat around 250°C.
Demeyere is great for induction. Any line from the Industry and above are excellent choices. Just got 2 pans recently and they are outstanding. You cannot go wrong here.

Cheers.

I think pans are much like tradesmen's tools. The difference between a Hilti and a Black & Decker is striking. You get what you pay for.

I once dropped a Hilti electric drill (which weighed north of 10 kg) from the 13th floor of a building. It had a 12 mm drill bit attached. The Hilti landed on concrete with the drill bit pointing down. The drill bit was bent. And the Hilti never noticed…
And you expect us to trust you to hold a knife?

I’m live in CH, induction country.for induction, is it fair to surmise that the posts on this thread recommend All Clad for induction stoves. I don’t want to hijack the OP’s thread, but urgent need to buy a new pan- currently I have and 1 good all clad and an amazing Mauviel with a cast iron handle - incredibly heavy and great on gas. But useless here in induction-centric CH - just sits in the basement

Is there a better induction alternative to All Cladnstainless?
I’m really happy with the Spring Brigade Premium line from CH. I have 5 pieces and they work great on induction. Everything from searing a steak to making risotto they never leave me wanting anything else.

I used to own a Mauviel copper sauce pan that I LOVED for it's heat transfer that was somehow so smooth, even and naturally feeling that it spoke to me. Alas, it did not work in induction so I gave it to my best friend.
BTW re-tinning can be done DIY :)
Mine is sitting in the basement - but I loved it on gas, it’s so heavy with cast iron handle!

Thanks for the recommendation- I got a de buyer copper induction pan today! Can’t wait to get it next week

03563233-571F-482C-82AA-5C848215BD94.png

NICE! looking forward to hear how you like it, I'm in need for a new one that works on induction.
So far half of our new pans does not do well on induction regardless of the info on the labels, the green pans will go back as they nowhere near conduct well enough, it's as if I'm heating them on an electric coil plate...takes forever and they do not get anywhere near hot enough.

NICE! looking forward to hear how you like it, I'm in need for a new one that works on induction.
So far half of our new pans does not do well on induction regardless of the info on the labels, the green pans will go back as they nowhere near conduct well enough, it's as if I'm heating them on an electric coil plate...takes forever and they do not get anywhere near hot enough.
My hopes are not super high, but it did say it works on induction. My all clad works really well on induction- but it’s getting old and showing some burn spots

the green pans will go back as they nowhere near conduct well enough, it's as if I'm heating them on an electric coil plate...takes forever and they do not get anywhere near hot enough.
I'm guessing they are aluminum with a thin bit of steel on the bottom?
I wonder if they wanted to prevent overheating and took it too far, or if they were just saving money using less steel.

My hopes are not super high, but it did say it works on induction. My all clad works really well on induction- but it’s getting old and showing some burn spots

It's De buyer, they are pretty reputable. As long as the bottom is flat and magnetic it should work fine on even cheap induction. Not saying that's what you have!

is stainless good?

currently looking into these:
fiskars norden, stainless with alu core.
1026904_FiskarsEMEA_03_norden_steel_frying_pan_26cm.jpg

and fiskars all steel pure, 3 layers stainless.
1057594_FiskarsEMEA_05_all_steel_pure_frying_pan_28cm.jpg

is stainless good?

currently looking into these:
fiskars norden, stainless with alu core.
View attachment 114417

and fiskars all steel pure, 3 layers stainless.
View attachment 114419

I don't have induction and I don't know if this counts as "high end" unless that is defined as quality, but my current favorite stainless cookware is Made In brand. I've loved everything I've gotten from them.

They say their stainless is all induction compatible and I can't think why it wouldn't be.

Stainless Clad Frying Pan

Just thought I'd offer it as a possibility.

If you have a shop to see the stuff (I know, I know, who goes to "shops" anymore), just bring a magnet and a flat piece of card or a box or something. If it the magnet sticks firm to the base, and the base is flat, basically any induction will work. Simple as that.

They say their stainless is all induction compatible and I can't think why it wouldn't be.

The problem is that there is no clear distinction between 'compatible' 'designed for' as far as I can tell until now...I have some pans showing an induction coil that work so-so and some that are designed for induction and work perfectly.
My main issue, unless I am missing a piece of info, is that the only way to find out is to try.

If you have a shop to see the stuff (I know, I know, who goes to "shops" anymore), just bring a magnet and a flat piece of card or a box or something. If it the magnet sticks firm to the base, and the base is flat, basically any induction will work. Simple as that.
I beg to differ, with what I know now there is more nuance than a binary 'stick' or 'not-stick'. Both types I currently have will make the magnet stick well but only the good type will work nicely on induction..

thinking more about it, why do makers of induction pans not have to state the max current/flux the pan is capable of sustaining? The makers of induction stoves surely state the power rating of the coils they use

I don't have induction and I don't know if this counts as "high end" unless that is defined as quality, but my current favorite stainless cookware is Made In brand. I've loved everything I've gotten from them.

Stainless Clad Frying Pan

Just thought I'd offer it as a possibility.

to be honest i dont really know what a high end frying pan is. those fiskars looks pretty high end to me. i only use cast iron. i have 2 jøtul from norway, the no19 is my fav. these have not been made for many years and i found them all rusted up. but like new. then i have a skeppshult from sweden and its much lower qual imo. and its the best we now make.

then we have the cheap **** from the supermarkets, that have spot welded handles and thin bottoms that will warp pretty fast.

then everything coated, this is by definition **** to me at least. teflon, ceramic, asslube, i dont care.

i'd say if its the handle is well adhered to the pan. and its a solid construction in general then its high end. there is only high end and ****. thats it.

and my kinda own quality level is this: can i effectively kill an elk with the implement without it stopping to work (like in a traffic accident), then its good imo. i buy my laptops this way. yeah you must be able to kill an elk with it without it braking = good quality imo. what can i say.

and then of course the product should do what its intended to do too on top of that. buy hey i'm not a pro chef.

I've collected a bunch of vintage Griswold cast iron. It's much thinner than the usual junk from Lodge, and ground smooth. But the prices have been driven up. Work great on induction, of course.

Recently I bought a brand new Stargazer 12" (equiv to a Griswold #9), and it is excellent. Good weight for it's substantial size, ground smooth, excellent design. My only complaint is that the handle is too long.

Back