holy $$$$! Le Creuset!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
With the popularity of the "Sisterhood Supper club" blowing up. My wife wants to make some changes. First, she wants a round dinner table. we have the space, so no problem. I think my table is still from my college days, and it is embarrassing anyways.

I starting to consider my current slow cook game. I only have the Oval 5qt(?) Staub. I bought it when a store went out of business, inexpensively. I took the chicken knob and put it on my Le Creuset stock pot because that stupid thing was a pain taking in/out of my oven.

I think I should get a round. a 7.25qt round, since I cook for a crowd now, and it might get two people bigger (total 8 people). but when did the pricing blow up? $460? has it always been like that? that's more than one of my fishing rods and my rods catch fish (and makes me smile and giggle)!! hahah.

other options that don't suck? I know LC is the gold standard, and I miss my old 5.5 dearly.

For as long as I’ve been in the hobby of kitchen stuff, the last 10ish years they’ve been absurdly priced. I think more like 250-350 back then, but considering an enameled lodge at the time was 30-50…

My brother used to have very occasional luck finding them at home goods. My understanding is that they tend to get seconds from the company, they go incredibly quickly but that’d be the best way to get a solid deal on them short of being cozy with a loaded relative with a well supplied pots and pans cupboard and ensuring a convenient accident

I'm not sure how Staub/Zwilling is in the US, but sign up for the newsletter. Here in Canada they constantly run sales and you can get them for a good deal. Last year at this time I picked up a 6.75L/7qt oval with visual imperfections for under $200US. Last year for boxing day I picked up a deep 5qt round for about $120US.

I'm not sure how Staub/Zwilling is in the US, but sign up for the newsletter. Here in Canada they constantly run sales and you can get them for a good deal. Last year at this time I picked up a 6.75L/7qt oval with visual imperfections for under $200US. Last year for boxing day I picked up a deep 5qt round for about $120US.
Staub is better than Le Cruset too

I did banquets at a hotel where we used both staub and le creuset dutch ovens for serving food in. I much preferred LC. The le creusets were lighter and had thinner walls. Made them easier move around and less heavy when full of food. I prefer this kind of construction for cooking in too. They also held up better over time. Less warping, less cracking enamel, less lid knobs snapping off. Although commercial vs household use is quite different.

If you want something cheaper and big, I would look for a used doufeu. I prefer them to the traditional Dutch oven and they are often available in near mint condition for under $250 shipped on eBay. And they aren't as popular so they are usually available when there are sales. Mine at home is about 15 years old and still in very good shape.

The main issue for keeping any enameled cast iron in good shape is not preheating it over a burner while it is empty. I have a friend who has ruined several this way. If you want to preheat it for a sear or something, it is best to preheat it in the oven with a couple drops of oil in it.

MSRP on leC and Staub is stupid silly. It's all so the stores can sell them 100% of the time 'on sale' -- and those sale prices as very high. 2 decades ago a 7.25 qt listed at something like $350, and it was hard to score one for under $300 unless it was a factory second sold through a place like Home Goods.

There definitely is little value in LeC and Staub unless you can pick pieces up on a real sale, which usually only happens a couple times/ year.

We have a lot of pots, braisers, etc. and a skillet or two. The skillets are a waste in my opinion (unless you cook acidic stiff in a cast iron skillet vs stainless). The big pots and braisers get a lot of use for soups, sauce, etc. and are worth it if you can get them for about 50-60% of MSRP.

Anyone tried the Lodge enameled stuff?

I have a ~$75 World Market house brand oval 7 qt and the enamel started chipping pretty fast and the lid doesn't fit nearly as tight as a LC/Staub. Curious if Lodge would be a nice middle ground between the two.

If you’re looking for other brands, I would recommend Emile Henry’s flame line. They used to have a round one that was 7 qts, and they have an oval one that’s about 7 now. Lighter than cast iron, no issues with it being preheated, works on all heat types. Had mine for about 6 years, only issue has been on a small section of the lid, but I’m reaching out to them since they have a 10 year warranty. Works great, still looks great after all this time, cleans up easily, and significantly cheaper than the high end enameled cast irons.

If you're open to used (like new condition or thereabouts), there's a wealth of really nice enameled euro cast iron on ebay cheap: Coussances, Copco, old Belgian brands, etc. For example, old Copco, made in Denmark, is impeccable quality--superior IMO to current Le Creuset--and the big ones go for ~$100 in like new condition. With a little hunting, you can find some really nice designs too. Might take a month, but worth it.
No way I'm paying $400+ for a new Le Creuset.

If you're open to used (like new condition or thereabouts), there's a wealth of really nice enameled euro cast iron on ebay cheap: Coussances, Copco, old Belgian brands, etc. For example, old Copco, made in Denmark, is impeccable quality--superior IMO to current Le Creuset--and the big ones go for ~$100 in like new condition. With a little hunting, you can find some really nice designs too.
No way I'm paying $400+ for a new Le Creuset.
My 5€ fleamarket Copco pieces smokes my 200€ Staub and Le Crueset pieces no doubt. Live and learn, I guess..

Pricing on both Staub and Le Creuset has steadily climbed over the last 10 years but it has climbed a lot more for LC.
LC has deals every black friday but usually it's only for hideous colors (at least that was the case last couple of years) and I don't think it was ever in the size you're looking for. In that size Staub would usually be significantly more expensive.
LC also has a budget line (Faitout)... it's a bit of a costdown that also comes with a far lighter lid and only comes in a few colors, but in all other regards it seems fairly similar apart from 1 crucial aspect: the pans are lower, so you actually lose quite some volume.

For Staub, at least here in Europe best pricing is usually from Amazon but the prices fluctuate a lot, both in time and amongst different colors. So if you want to go down that road and have the patience for it, just make a list with all the colors you want in the size you want and just check it for a while so you can buy low. Usually for Staub the cheapest colors are black, grey and red. Don't know about LC but likely it'll be black & red for them.

As to cheaper alternatives. I've given up on them because I was just downright unlucky with them; they'd all start looking like crap and have their enamel chip in just a few years. At some point I just gave up on the cheap stuff...but who knows some might actually be good. I just gave up on playing that lottery. For what it's worth thermal / cooking performance will generally be the same between a cheap one and an expensive one. The difference is all in the enamel quality.
No issues with the Staubs so far in the couple of years that I've had them.

If you want to go cheap you could also consider large stainless pots. The main advantage for me is that I can leave stuff in the enamelled pans for a days in a row without any issues for the pan, but if you're just going to make big pots of stew, sauce or soup I'm not sure the cast iron stuff necessarily has that much impact on the quality of the final product.

We have a lot of pots, braisers, etc. and a skillet or two. The skillets are a waste in my opinion (unless you cook acidic stiff in a cast iron skillet vs stainless). The big pots and braisers get a lot of use for soups, sauce, etc. and are worth it if you can get them for about 50-60% of MSRP.
Yeah agreed, I don't really see why you'd pick the enamelled skillets over either a cheap bare cast iron or carbon steel (if you don't care about acidity) or a proper stainless pan. The enamelled stuff is just a bit too much of a diva for the skillets IMO; I'd always worry about chipping when preheating them empty.

Funny enough I actually use my 28cm braiser a lot more than my bit 28 cm Dutch oven. Mostly bought it because I could get it at a screaming deal but it actually became my go to pan for risotto's and pilavs, and IMO for smaller volumes it's superior to just getting a smaller Dutch oven because you retain the large frying surface.

It's not 2002 anymore folks the prices of things go up.

TBH a LC is much more fairly priced than tons of other stuff. The main stuff is still made in France and they take good care of you. In 40 years who the **** is gonna care about the difference anyway?

I have a ~$75 World Market house brand oval 7 qt and the enamel started chipping pretty fast and the lid doesn't fit nearly as tight as a LC/Staub. Curious if Lodge would be a nice middle ground between the two.

Yeah I have one from Lodge. I like it for deep frying and that's about it IMO. It lacks refinement and as such it's a fine option if you don't care about such things.

Last edited:
LC commands the premium because it's perceived (and I'm largely a believer) that it is the best at what it does. I've used the LC, Staub and Lodge side by side and the utility differences were pretty nuanced between LC and Staub. Lodge was a distant third. The black inside doesn't show stain and that appeals to some. The "chicken" knob is great but it fits on an LC. I prefer the LC and most of my enameled is LC (couple of Staub pieces) but it's for subjective reasons, nothing that can be quantified.

All that said, in my local FB marketplace LC and Staub show up on a regular basis and the resale value is not strong. Many sub $100 pieces, and don't recall any over 2.

LC commands the premium because it's perceived (and I'm largely a believer) that it is the best at what it does. I've used the LC, Staub and Lodge side by side and the utility differences were pretty nuanced between LC and Staub. Lodge was a distant third. The black inside doesn't show stain and that appeals to some. The "chicken" knob is great but it fits on an LC. I prefer the LC and most of my enameled is LC (couple of Staub pieces) but it's for subjective reasons, nothing that can be quantified.

All that said, in my local FB marketplace LC and Staub show up on a regular basis and the resale value is not strong. Many sub $100 pieces, and don't recall any over 2.

Always nice hearing from y’all that have actually put the cookware through its paces.

I have a few Le Creusets (a few inherited and a few purchased). I bought a 9.5 quart oval one maybe 5-6 years ago and I think it was supposed to have been 475ish. Turns out there was a Creuset not far from me so I went in and was able to buy a “factory seconds” one for closer to 350 all in. Benefit of going in is you can inspect for any actual defects. Maybe they have a factory store near you too!

Le Creuset has, or used to have, outlets. I used to go to the one in northern Georgia when I was hiking nearby. They had ‘seconds’ which often just meant that the lid didn’t quite match the bottom or there was a small chip or blemish. I chatted up the staff and they let me ‘mix and match’ which meant that I could match up lids and bottoms that were indistinguishable from the perfect ones. At about 1/3 the price of MSRP. I like Staub too, but this deal was impossible to pass up.

Oh I forgot to mention, I have seen Creuset at Tuesday morning and home goods in the past but typically just a random one or two and usually a smaller size. Not the giant ones

I recently bought the lodge 4 qt. Enamelled Dutch Oven and am very impressed. For our wedding, my wife and I got a 6qt. LC and a 6 qt. Staub. The staub cracked in about 3 years. The LC is going strong (I also have a 2 qt. LC from a yard sale and it too shows no sign of slowing down).

Back to the Lodge: it appears to be very well made, but lacking some of the fit and finish of the higher brands. For example, the enamel doesn't extend to the top of the rim, leaving exposed cast iron at the rim, and the bottom is not 100% smooth, like they didn't completely flatten/grind the cast iron underneath (it's 'lumpy' for lack of a better term). Its lumpiness is subtle and doesn't affect cooking. The whole thing is heavy and thick, with big functional handles and a bomb proof lid. The enamel seems tough and I've baked many bread loaves in it preheated to 550 with no ill effects. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

TLDR: LC is awesome, and, for a fraction of the price, so is Lodge.

Last edited:
LC and Staub are the only ones I know of who have enamelled rims. Every other cheap pan that I've seen shares this problem where you have bare cast iron on the rim. Personally I never found it that much of a problem though... yes if you leave your pan to soak in the sink for a few days some rust will build up but you can scrub it off just as easily. So not something I'd worry about a whole lot.
Enamel durability problems on the cheaper stuff usually showed up for me more in the long term.

If you bake bread a lot, personally I'd gravitate towards something without any enamel altogether. That Lodge combocooker always seemed like the perfect option if you can't afford a Challenger breadpan, because it allows you to just put the bread on the lid and put the taller part on top.

Back