Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet another Kato W#1 up..... quelle surprise!
Think he’s read this book.
15171318-5005-4BEC-94DB-7CA71D3D0455.jpeg

True, but they aren't moving at light speed like they used to. I'm buying in less and less to the "limited stock" of w1 steel myself.
I'm sure it's very limited stock of the NOS white 1, especially when considering how the modern paper steels are just available. However, a few bars of that old steel could last such a long long while anyway. I've seen how much actual core steel is used when they forge weld it with iron, it's really such a miniscule amount, I'm sure a few bars could do dozens and dozens of knives

It is not that simple :D ofc I have keep many my self, Kato stoped take order from others very loong time ago, thats why you dont see his knives in other stores unless they are second hand or used or on auctions also old stock or used, Kato is very healthy man so ofc he can bang out some knives when he have mode for it and want to do something in his workshop, But it is sure not his regular job, he also do not visit any knife shows anymore in Japan. He prioritise his family now and taking care of his wife. So yes it is slow retirment but many people do stuff in they retirement. I do not get right now even 20 % what I got before from him, But I am super happy that I can still offer something from him

It is not that simple :D ofc I have keep many my self, Kato stoped take order from others very loong time ago, thats why you dont see his knives in other stores unless they are second hand or used or on auctions also old stock or used, Kato is very healthy man so ofc he can bang out some knives when he have mode for it and want to do something in his workshop, But it is sure not his regular job, he also do not visit any knife shows anymore in Japan. He prioritise his family now and taking care of his wife. So yes it is slow retirment but many people do stuff in they retirement. I do not get right now even 20 % what I got before from him, But I am super happy that I can still offer something from him
Always appreciate the input behind the scenes

People & especially chefs who've owned or own Kramer's seem to pretty unanimously love and cherish them. Could be 'reputation' not reality, but what not make that argument for other popular makers like Kamon or Yanick etc. Most people will never use a Kramer, but ignoring price I'm sure they're pretty wonderful knives.

People & especially chefs who've owned or own Kramer's seem to pretty unanimously love and cherish them. Could be 'reputation' not reality, but what not make that argument for other popular makers like Kamon or Yanick etc. Most people will never use a Kramer, but ignoring price I'm sure they're pretty wonderful knives.
I'd serious love to try a Kamer, though a Kramer/Zwilling in 52100 more achievable—mainly because I've never tried a chef's knife in that rather distinctive shape. Never tried a Global either.

As always your transparency is appreciated!

even a Willey's chopper or a Jesse James?

Hahahaha! Honestly, I love kitchen knives/prepping, fascinated by everything, and will try anything for the hell of it. Trust me, I’ve cooked meals with weird looking, vivid pink or green $10 knives in other people’s kitchens. Won’t hurt giving my good knives the night off and give something off-beat a go.

My mom gave me one of these (below), cooked with it in Hawaii before I began taking my knife roll—less than $10 when on sale at Long’s Drug Store, it can cut reasonably well considering the price—no, it won’t replace my denka.
BE94905C-D220-4792-9C90-44A8C409E7E1.jpeg

Last edited:
Curious, anyone get their orders from RealSharpKnife ever since the 50% off $200 sale started?

I had a poopy interaction with Dustin a while back (after a couple good ones), which made me just delete him off my radar, but that deal is too good to pass up, so I bit. Buuuut, it’s been about a week now and no shipping info sent yet, so I’m gettin’ a little spooked.

Curious, anyone get their orders from RealSharpKnife ever since the 50% off $200 sale started?

I had a poopy interaction with Dustin a while back (after a couple good ones), which made me just delete him off my radar, but that deal is too good to pass up, so I bit. Buuuut, it’s been about a week now and no shipping info sent yet, so I’m gettin’ a little spooked.
I didn’t order from him, but he posted on IG that all the orders would ship by Friday.

Hope it works out buddy. I'm sure it will.

I will say though that I had a sufficiently adverse experience with Dustin (after some positives) that I won't buy from him at all any more. Too many other good options as far as I'm concerned.

I ordered something back in September when they had 30% off. It took almost a week to get a tracking #, and then it took another week for it to actually ship out, but I did get what I ordered eventually.

Back