Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The specs are just perfect! Wonder if he can knock-off that molar. I don’t want my knives to be extra toothy…
But the extra toothy ones cut so nice ….

IMG_3906.jpeg

IMG_3905.jpeg

All jokes aside, Ian’s work is first class. He knows how to make a seriously good knife.

But the extra toothy ones cut so nice ….

View attachment 300498
View attachment 300500

All jokes aside, Ian’s work is first class. He knows how to make a seriously good knife.

Whew! Can we even call that a subtle flex? 😂
Is that 52100? Beautiful!
Just wondering aloud if I can afford that Dammy knife without the fancy teeth. Probably not.

Last edited:
Whew! Can we even call that a subtle flex? 😂
Is that 52100? Beautiful!
Just wondering aloud if I can afford that Dammy knife without the fancy teeth. Probably not.
Haha. I’m a big Haburn fan and can’t deny that I like a little flash on handles sometimes. This one is 52100. At the time, the molar inlay was a $200 option.

I think its a blue 2 white 2 dammy honyaki which sort of explains possibly why it needed to be oil quenched and the cost here. Too expensive for my, but very cool nonetheless.

Maybe its not? the description is terribly confusing?

I think its a blue 2 white 2 dammy honyaki which sort of explains possibly why it needed to be oil quenched and the cost here. Too expensive for my, but very cool nonetheless.

the one being listed is White 1 only - not dammy.

Yes, weird to talk up the performance of the dammy when you're trying to spruck a mono steel honyaki.

For oil quench vs water quench japanese knives or even honyaki . . . Whatever the maker likes is fine with me. I've had some sick hard and sharp oil quench stuff. My favorite honyaki steel is still takagi oil quench, as opposed to Watanabe water quench, or keijiro doi white water quench. Takagi was the hardest feeling and oddly the toughest and sharpest too

If you want it for the novelty of the bloomery iron then there's nothing I can do to stop you 😂 . However, for the price (IMO), there are many other knives that I'd rather have (e.g. IIRC the Shihan Telegraph Clad is in a similar ballpark pricewise albeit way less accessible; HF is also an option). (That being said, I am also somewhat biased since I don't think the bloomery iron looks all that great so that's a double whammy considering the price.) The Munetoshi Uchigumori hits most of the same points and is also several hundred dollars cheaper if you really want to try a Munetoshi.

If you want it for the novelty of the bloomery iron then there's nothing I can do to stop you 😂 . However, for the price (IMO), there are many other knives that I'd rather have (e.g. IIRC the Shihan Telegraph Clad is in a similar ballpark pricewise albeit way less accessible; HF is also an option). (That being said, I am also somewhat biased since I don't think the bloomery iron looks all that great so that's a double whammy considering the price.) The Munetoshi Uchigumori hits most of the same points and is also several hundred dollars cheaper if you really want to try a Munetoshi.

Mission accomplished - I just happen to be a munetoshi fan but already have a bloomy boy - but you’re right I think at this point and at this price point I could easily try something different and cool

The Munetoshi Uchigumori hits most of the same points and is also several hundred dollars cheaper if you really want to try a Munetoshi.
What's the cost of those Uchigumori 240s from JNS? My interest is piqued. I feel like I've got a particularly good rando Munetoshi but I'm curious enough about the difference between the two that I make take the plunge next time one pops up.

Back