Munetoshi redundant???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. I've gathered as much. But, no that's not the goal. I want to have as much fun using prepping/cooking as I can. Which of course means buying lots of tools. But, I'd like to avoid buying tools, like knives, that I don't find as fun as the ones I already have.

I know you're kinda new to this so let me help you out...

You're going about this all wrong.

What you do is look at ten very different knives for a few days, dissecting each subtle nuance of them. You narrow that down to say, two to four, and then do things like click back and forth on different websites trying to compare them, strain your neck to the side of your monitor as if you're going to get a view of the exact angle you want, and read numerous past KKF threads.

Then you just pick one and buy it at full retail which naturally leads to doing even more research while you're waiting for your new knife to arrive (with the barely hidden demeanor of a child) even though you already bought it.

Then when it comes you do some ooos and ahhs and take a couple pictures and post them here on the forum.

Then you use it and it's here you arrive at the proverbial fork in the road. You either love it (at least for the next week or so) or you don't. In the case of the former, you're good for a bit. If you feel the latter, then still no worries. You learned something! I mean, what price tag can you put on that right? Besides, KKF is here for you man. You just take a bunch of pictures of the almost-just-like-new-in-box knife you just bought and barely used (be sure to include some kind of date and name stamp that may or may not be meaningful) and toss that gem up on BST at a loss. You're helping out your forum friends see. Overseas shipping is up to you.

If you sold the knife, then you start the cycle all over again. If you keep the knife, you'll probably start the cycle all over again too it's just more delayed. Of course that triggers the "should I use it more to see if I fall in love with it or should I leave it so as not to further diminish the value" internal struggle. But again, this is just part of the growth journey and how much is that worth right?

You'll probably have something like an 8 to 1 miss to hit ratio but remember, it's fun!

Now, go get 'em Tiger and I'll see ya in BST!

:p

Case 1: you don't like the new knife you got.
Solution: purchase another knife in hopes that you will like it and can replace the first.

Case 2: you already a knife that you like.
Solution: purchase another knife that you hope can be even better.

Case 3: you found your dream knife that matches your preferences perfectly.
Solution: purchase another of the exact same knife in hopes that the new specs are more perfect than the original one.

Case 4: you have been on kkf for a while and now have multiple knives that you enjoy.
Solution: just keep buying stuff and store the boxes randomly around your house wherever you are able to find space.

Thanks. I guess that's what makes the Shindo so fun to use. So, if I'm not having any issues with chipping on the Shindo and I'm not worried about being in a production environment or someone inappropriately handling the knife, I probably shouldn't bother with something like the Wakui or even Munetoshi?
As a Shindo-connoisseur myself, I adore my Munetoshi 240. I do think I got a particularly good one, but it's a nice change up from Shindo's laser grind with fat spine. The Munetoshi cuts well but it feels different than the Shindos, you'll notice more weight and the convex of the grind doing different things on different foods. My Kochi knives are more similar to Shindo than not. The Munetoshi is definitely a more robust knife though, just more metal behind the edge and it's confidence inspiring.

Case 6: You’ve done all 5 and have a nice stable of knives. You start looking at ways to customize them and look into natural stones and realize there’s yet another money pit yet to explore.
Solution: Start at case 1 just replace “knife” with “stone”.

Hahaha you all are on a roll 😂😂

I've done most of these things already, save the natural stones.

In just 3 weeks I've bought 6 knives including a custom, a cleaver, a short petty, a very long gyuto, AS, blue #2, stainless clad, iron clad, mono steel, super powered steel... stones... diamond compound... exotic wood to make handles... a forge... and the parts for a pneumatic power hammer. 😅😅😅

Last edited:
Aaaaaand now I bought a munetoshi 240 cuz of the sale at knives and tools. 🤦
Welcome, brother

The Grinch Smiling GIF by The Good Films

Hahaha you all are on a roll 😂😂

I've done most of these things already, save the natural stones.

In just 3 weeks I've bought 6 knives including a custom, a cleaver, a short petty, a very long gyuto, AS, blue #2, stainless clad, iron clad, mono steel, super powered steel... stones... diamond compound... exotic wood to make handles... a forge... and the parts for a pneumatic power hammer. 😅😅😅
This is the way.

I think the main reason you don't see a lot of enthusiasm for them is that they look a lot like a rich man's Munetoshi. :p

I got my Munetoshi. It has a pretty interesting grind. I'm assuming this is how they all look? It's like an S-grind on the rt side and a convex grind on the lt side. So, seems like a right hand bias design to improve food release. Does that sound normal / correct?

20230809_163211.jpg

20230809_163315.jpg

I got my Munetoshi. It has a pretty interesting grind. I'm assuming this is how they all look? It's like an S-grind on the rt side and a convex grind on the lt side. So, seems like a right hand bias design to improve food release. Does that sound normal / correct?

View attachment 261129

View attachment 261128
Mine has a very subtle concavity on both sides. I think it's just handmade variation using the power hammer.
PXL_20230810_012334276.jpg
PXL_20230810_012356520.jpg

I got mine today, and the first thing I noticed was the grind that was interesting - almost a bit like an S-grind as it thins a bit up between the edge and spine. Haven't cut with it yet, but took a couple of pics. Plan is to round and polish the choil and spine, and change the handle to the one in the pic that I got from Cleancut a while ago.

First impression is that everything looks very good, especially for the price. What a steal this was with the discount last week!

Attachments

• Mune2.jpg
    Mune2.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 0
  • Mune1.jpg
    Mune1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Case 10: Your wife finds your knife box and questions why you have 14 different knives when you get second notices on the credit card statements and you dad to inform her last week that ballerina summer camp wasn’t gonna be possible on the family budget. You desperately sell on BST as a “clearing out” to make amends with your wife. You realize PayPal isn’t used to this volume of sales from your account and puts a delay on freeing of funds.

You cry

I got mine today, and the first thing I noticed was the grind that was interesting - almost a bit like an S-grind as it thins a bit up between the edge and spine. Haven't cut with it yet, but took a couple of pics. Plan is to round and polish the choil and spine, and change the handle to the one in the pic that I got from Cleancut a while ago.

First impression is that everything looks very good, especially for the price. What a steal this was with the discount last week!
Please post pics after handle install, that's going to be sweet as hell.

Latest posts

Back