Need A New Microplane. Any Favorites?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my microplanes gave birth to a nutmeg grinder by microplane, in an attempt to save fingertips ;-)
It actually uses a piece of metal with the same laser sharp bits as the rasps.

Works like a charm but we'll see how it keeps since most of it is plastic.

Attachments

• 20220712_221004.jpg
    20220712_221004.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 0
my microplanes gave birth to a nutmeg grinder by microplane, in an attempt to save fingertips ;-)
It actually uses a piece of metal with the same laser sharp bits as the rasps.

Works like a charm but we'll see how it keeps since most of it is plastic.

I’ve got the same one except it’s all black plastic instead of the metal top like yours. It’s held up to daily use for the past 18 months or so, maybe a couple dozen nutmegs total. I always hit my morning latte with a little nutmeg.

When your simple KKF inquiry becomes your wife's budding addiction.

2Zwls8Bl.jpg

The big one just showed up.

👍

Below is a video explaining the best way to zest citrus, IMHO (goto 1:00 mark). This is the same technique that I was taught at Culinary school, and it is so much more efficient and effective than scraping the fruit across with the zester pointed down. Instead, move the Microplane across the citrus pole to pole with the bent metal edges pointed up. The zest collects between the bent metal edges of the Microplane instead of spraying all over the place, you are able to easily see how deep you are zesting to avoid the pith, and it's faster. The Microplane on the left without a handle works great for this method.

I like the finer Microplanes but I was never particularly thrilled about the extra coarse ones... I actually bought a Rösle model to replace it and it works better IMO.
When it comes to technique, my favorite technique of using Microplanes is to give them to my girlfriend and ask her to do it...

mine just came in the mail. i got two of the pro series paddles with metal handles. a coarse and a fine.

https://www.microplane.com/kitchen-graters-professional-series
they're super whack for putting UPC stickers on the blades themselves, lmao. they do NOT peel off cleanly. i stopped after 1cm, put in oven at 150°F, and tried again. big improvement.

Back