Other Post your Menus Here

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hailey’s dinner

Apps
Artichoke “pissalairde”

Cauliflower soup with croutons and roasted cauliflower

Steamed Cantonese fish
Squash and spinach salad
Carrots with mint
Rice

Last edited:
Reactions: Kgp
@Michi we made me rouillie in a mortar and pestle. The wooden pestle is a much better tool for the job, it makes it super easy to create the emulsion. Doing it with a granite pestle would have been much more tiring.

@Michi we made me rouillie in a mortar and pestle. The wooden pestle is a much better tool for the job, it makes it super easy to create the emulsion. Doing it with a granite pestle would have been much more tiring.
I have no doubt about that. I'm waiting for my current batch of basil to grow enough to make a decent batch of pesto. Going to put my wooden pestle and granite mortar to the test then :)

I slowly sauté the onions with a few anchovies until they really carmelize and use that as the flavor base on top of pizza dough. Then I top it with roasted cauliflower florets and black olives. No cheese, no tomatoes. I usually use 4-5 onions for the base.
IMG_5056.jpeg

Last edited:
I slowly sauté the onions with a few anchovies until they really carmelize and use that as the flavor base on top of pizza dough. Then I top it with roasted cauliflower florets and black olives. No cheese, no tomatoes.

This one didn’t have any black olive and I usually use 4-5 onions for the base.
View attachment 298790
Thanks! I’ll put this the list.

Thanks! I’ll put this the list.
Here’s the recipe for the cauliflower soup I made a few weeks back

1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), stem discarded, florets cut into 2-inch pieces,
2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
extra-virgin olive oil for roasting
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
Sea salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons salted butter
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large potato (about 14 ounces), skin on, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 quart chicken stock, homemade
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving

DIRECTIONS​

Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Blitz the florets pretty well with the olive oil and salt.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan, sautethe onions. A lot, almost carmelize them. Add the garlic and cumin/corriander and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in the potato and turmeric, add the stock and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and cook until the potato is soft, about 10 minutes.
When the cauliflower is done, reserve about 1 cup cauliflower for the topping and add the remaining cauliflower and onions to the soup. Return the soup to a simmer and cook until flavors meld, about 5 minutes. Blitz with an immersion blender until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Toast the almonds in a dry skillet over low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 4 minutes. When you are ready to serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls. Top with the reserved roasted cauliflower and a scattering of almonds and parsley.

Note. I often double the cauliflower and keep everything else roughly the same

Last edited:
Here’s the recipe for the cauliflower soup I made a few weeks back

1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), stem discarded, florets cut into 2-inch pieces,
2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
extra-virgin olive oil for roasting
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
Sea salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons salted butter
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large potato (about 14 ounces), skin on, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 quart chicken stock, homemade
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving

DIRECTIONS​

Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Blitz the florets pretty well with the olive oil and salt.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan, sautethe onions. A lot, almost carmelize them. Add the garlic and cumin/corriander and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in the potato and turmeric, add the stock and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and cook until the potato is soft, about 10 minutes.
When the cauliflower is done, reserve about 1 cup cauliflower for the topping and add the remaining cauliflower and onions to the soup. Return the soup to a simmer and cook until flavors meld, about 5 minutes. Blitz with an immersion blender until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Toast the almonds in a dry skillet over low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 4 minutes. When you are ready to serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls. Top with the reserved roasted cauliflower and a scattering of almonds and parsley.

Note. I often double the cauliflower and keep everything else roughly the same
Thanks. I make one with cauliflower and broccoli but I also add copious amounts of cheddar. No particular recipe, just put stuff together till I get what I want. I like your step of roasting the vegetables.

Thanks. I make one with cauliflower and broccoli but I also add copious amounts of cheddar. No particular recipe, just put stuff together till I get what I want. I like your step of roasting the vegetables.
Yeah, I’m lactose intolerant so I’m always on the lookout for vegan soup recipes, then I make them with chicken stock.

The roasted cauliflower is almost like having croutons around. If you can roast them nice and crispy they can go on top of anything. That’s where the cauliflower pissalairde came from; now I started shortening the roasting time a bit so they’d crisp up on top of the pizza dough and not get burnt. Those crispy sliced almonds are nice to have in your quiver too, just as useful in salads as soups

In Nice for the month, staying at a friend’s empty apartment. He’s got a really well equipped kitchen, pleasure to shop and cook here

First course
North African Tabbouleh
Fat Asparagus
Roasted cauliflower

Main
4 hour lamb shoulder
Flageolet Vert stew

Last edited:
Dinner for Gonzague and Michael (7 in all)

Appetizers
Sliced sausage
Roast cauliflower with bagna cauda

First course
Zaalouk
Salad Shiraz

Main
Roast chicken from Bourgogne
Glazed carrots and turnips

Orange, radish olive and mache salad

Algerian cookies

Last edited:
Mollys 35!

Your youngest kid turns half your age, you know you’re getting old

Appetizer
Tuna pate on bruschetta
Radishes with butter

Primi
Fusilli with Swiss chard, asparagus, peas, garlic and preserved lemons

Secondi
Roast leg of lamb
White bean stew
Smashed potatoes
Shirazi salad

Last edited:
Trying to show someone how much you can do without spending a boatload of money
Cooking for 12. Not obsessing about the amount, just sorta in the ballpark. About five bucks a head with leftovers

Roasted spiced chickpeas 0.75
Cauliflower pissalairde 5.00

Red lentil and squash soup 5.00

Roast pork shoulder from the good butcher 45.00 (from the grocery store it would be half this, or less)
Cabbage thoran 7.00
Polenta 1.50

Trying to show someone how much you can do without spending a boatload of money
Cooking for 12. Not obsessing about the amount, just sorta in the ballpark. About five bucks a head with leftovers

Roasted spiced chickpeas 0.75
Cauliflower pissalairde 5.00

Red lentil and squash soup 5.00

Roast pork shoulder from the good butcher 45.00 (from the grocery store it would be half this, or less)
Cabbage thoran 7.00
Polenta 1.50
I do a lot of pork shoulders, usually for pulled pork. Did an 8 lb one that cost me all of $12 on sale. What would the flavor gain be for spending $45? If you think it’s worth it, I’m game to try.

I smoke cigars once in a while and have discovered that the difference between a $5 cigar and a $20 cigar is usually $15, but I still get them once in a while!

I do a lot of pork shoulders, usually for pulled pork. Did an 8 lb one that cost me all of $12 on sale. What would the flavor gain be for spending $45? If you think it’s worth it, I’m game to try.

I smoke cigars once in a while and have discovered that the difference between a $5 cigar and a $20 cigar is usually $15, but I still get them once in a while!
Going to the butcher is the habit of a lifetime. I like butcher shops, I like talking to the guys, I like that they know me, I like that I can ask them to cut the meat just so, I like the variety of choices that go way beyond any supermarket, I like that they buy product for quality instead of price. For me, it’s worth the extra cost.

Same thing with wine shops, yeah, some individual bottles may be cheaper at a discount store but for knowledge, value and choice I like my local shop.

Going to the butcher is the habit of a lifetime. I like butcher shops, I like talking to the guys, I like that they know me, I like that I can ask them to cut the meat just so, I like the variety of choices that go way beyond any supermarket, I like that they buy product for quality instead of price. For me, it’s worth the extra cost.

Same thing with wine shops, yeah, some individual bottles may be cheaper at a discount store but for knowledge, value and choice I like my local shop.
I agree with having relationship with butchers. Unfortunately, I have to drive 20 miles to find one.

Yeah it can be challenging to find a good one. I'm blessed in that I have multiple restaurant wholesalers within 5 km of my home that all have a great butchery department.... but many of the local 'butchers' here are crap. Many of them are basically just glorified retail outlets who are doing the same thing the same crap the supermarkets are doing. Crap quality for too much money and 0 knowledge.
I incidentally found a great way to 'test' a butcher shop: ask them for a somewhat obscure cut like hanger steak. To my surprise the majority of butchers could not provide it, but did not even know what I was talking about (when using the appropriate local term).

Menu for my upcoming tasting. Not the most interesting one. Tried to make it my own, while also sticking with what ingredients are on hand.

Salad

Cucumber Salata

Cucumbers, Red Onion, Roasted Peppers, Feta, Pine Nuts
Dill and Mint Red Wine Vinaigrette

Appetizer

Tomato Tartare

Heirloom Tomatoes, Olive Oil, Dijon, Basil
Grana Padana Tuile

Entree

Citrus Roasted Sea Bass

Confit Byaldi
Lemon White Wine Pan Sauce