Scissors. ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
no denying, you all are knife people thru and thru.

what about the very humble scissor? i use these daily. i grabbed them from my MIL when she moved to Taipei. it is my understanding that they are also Taiwanese. could be wrong. they are super sharp and really nimble. chives dont stand a chance. i use them to cut dates for my morning oatmeal. so much easier than using a knife.

i have a pair of more robust serrated shears that i use for chicken and fish fins. but these are my daily drivers.

very inexpensive..super good in my opinion.

scissors.jpg

For small scissors like that, I have the Mac snips and like them a lot. They're great for precision tasks and do a great job. I just wish they disassembled. They're on special at CK to G right now. The Joyce Chen scissors are similar (almost identical looking to the OP's pair) but have a flexible material on the handle. A lot of people swear by them. They don't disassemble either. I also have a pair of nigiri hasami sewing scissors that I use for picking thyme and rosemary. Their springloaded nature makes them easy to use for repetitive precision tasks like that.

For actual shears, I have the Shun/Kershaw Taskmasters that I use for general use... mainly opening packaging. I also have a pair of Macs that are more heavy duty and are used on food only. I don't love the handles on them. They're very similar in construction to the Cutco shears, which are super expensive but have better handles. I used to have a pair of Tojiro shears, but they vanished once upon a time. I miss them and wish they'd magically reappear somehow. They felt classy.

I was looking into shears a while ago, mainly cloth shears...as a gift for my GF to use for her sewing hobby....I could not find what I was looking for, probably did not look hard enough or in the right places but I saw some Japanese (what else) shears that looked promising. Following this one...

I was looking into shears a while ago, mainly cloth shears...as a gift for my GF to use for her sewing hobby....I could not find what I was looking for, probably did not look hard enough or in the right places but I saw some Japanese (what else) shears that looked promising. Following this one...
Bernal has a good range of fabric shears that you can peruse for information.
https://bernalcutlery.com/collections/fabric-scissors
I have two pair that I use...the Toribe stainless shears spatchcocking and snipping Galbi and the small Chikamasa carbon for herbs. I had the MAC poultry shears but found them too large, in hand and in storage, for me.
53BE7AD4-8E52-4333-BA12-611BC94F630B.jpeg

https://bernalcutlery.com/collections/scissors-snips-shears/products/chikamasa-snip-budou-157mmhttps://bernalcutlery.com/collectio...oribe-kitchen-scissors?variant=36250627276952

Last edited:
I have an old Case pair of kitchen scissors back when they were made in the USA in PA. They work well enough and are very durable.

IMG_0653.jpg

Misuzu Silky, Ernst Wright (also lefty) and Shun Multi-Purpose covers all my bases. I don't use the Wright's as much as I thought I would though.

_MG_0400.jpeg

Highly recommend the Shun kitchen shears- very precise machining and very comfy- come apart for easy cleaning w/out a screw. Can buy in a pack with their herb shears- great stuff. Shun shears- pack

A0E63068-A4D4-43B0-B715-E8BF013B6903.jpeg

One of my Japanese trips I bought these... I hide them and guard them for the times that I need to cut cloth, as these are like a laser.
I just ;with I had a source so I could buy more in m
PXL_20220123_140804452.jpg
aybe larger sizes.
PXL_20220123_140804452.jpg

What about solid poultry shears?
I had a pair of German poultry shears which I got rid of. I just use my large Henckels 11.5-inch chef's knife for chickens. But all my chicken is store bought. I don't cut feet off.

Shozaburo Shears Standard Model are definitely one of the best, but not 22cm, they need to be bigger.

Second one for sewing are this kind of type:
https://www.kitchen-knife.jp/special/nigiribasami.htm
And then for the me best scissors, all purpose, and especially for kitchen work:
https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/diawood-kitchen-scissors/
Diawood, but when buying you need to be sure that they are the type that you can take a part. This enables you to wash them easily. There are also the same Diawood type that are like normal scissors, screwed together that you cannot take apart. Do not make mistake of buying those ;)
JNS is selling the right ones

Never in my life would I have bought something from Cutco but their super shears (strange name) are amazing. I use them for everything from cutting open packages to breaking down a chicken and they seem to keep going. They claim that you can cut through a penny with them but I've not tried that. Maybe one night after a couple martinis I will :)

my poultry shears..(and great for fish fins) are some random pair i picked up in Italy. made in Italy. they come apart for cleaning.

my neighbor is 92. she has seamstress shears that are very very long. she said they cost her hundreds decades ago. she has them pro sharpened. she bought them in Germany, i think. she is German.

I use have Wüsthof kitchen shears. About $25 on Amazon. They're sharp and strong enough to cut through a chicken back, come apart and reassemble easily, and can go in the dishwasher. I have two as one of them seems always in the dishwasher.

Mac are my fave, always have them nearby in the kitchen—for me, a big upgrade over my Tojiro scissors.
19F8DB92-CAEC-471F-A15E-016BA05A3BE1.jpg

nice inventory people!! thanks for the help..except the one dude 100% knives, and 0% scissors! haha.

Mac are my fave, always have them nearby in the kitchen—for me, a big upgrade over my Tojiro scissors.
View attachment 168426

I love this forum. I got so mad at my sh*t pair of kitchen aid’s that I literally whipped them into the trash and started searching for a scissor thread. Bought a pair of Mac’s, excited to not have to fight my scissors!

nice scissors folks. except for the "knife-only" guy above who felt compelled to come to a scissor thread to tell us he doesnt use scissors.... he brought a knife to a scissor fight!!

great responses!! using scissors is so effective and fast in some instances. thanks for giving so many options!!!

nice scissors folks. except for the "knife-only" guy above who felt compelled to come to a scissor thread to tell us he doesnt use scissors.... he brought a knife to a scissor fight!!

great responses!! using scissors is so effective and fast in some instances. thanks for giving so many options!!!
The Korean joints I go to typically have overly aggressive, scissors wielding waitresses ready to deftly snip and cut kalbi and noodles with scissors table side—whether you want them to or not.

Back