Should a knife handle be parallel to the spine of the knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josemartinlopez

我會買所有的獨角獸
Reaction score
A friend in Japan was telling me that they sometimes install handles in a way that does not look straight, and not parallel to the spine of the knife. Rather, they install the handle such that the tip of the blade is slightly higher than the bottom of the handle. He said this makes it easier to handle the knife.

Here's a sample photo demonstrating the idea:

Handle lower than knife tip.jpeg

Has anyone heard of this? Does it result in knives that at first glance look like the handle was improperly installed and out of alignment, but were actually properly done?

Maybe something's gotten lost in translation but I don't think you are explaining this correctly. Depending on profile, a handle can be perfectly parallel to the spine and have its tip above the bottom of the handle. The handle is going to follow the general direction of the tang so this is more to do with the intended angle of the cutting edge to the spine rather than an intentional handle installation at an angle.

Well to be honest, this is someone with no technical skill trying to communicate an idea from someone with imperfect English. But it's not a question about room for error, I'm asking if someone would intentionally install a wa handle at what appears to be an angle.

re read this part of what Unstoppabos said...
The handle is going to follow the general direction of the tang so this is more to do with the intended angle of the cutting edge to the spine rather than an intentional handle installation at an angle.
20200907_103001.jpg
D.

I read it but my guy seems to be talking about intentionally installing a handle slightly different from the general angle of the tang.

I personally would not install handle tilted relativ to the tang. It is s task of the knife maker to design and create a knife such that it is suitable for intended use. When handle is not installed on axis, it is usually safe to assume, that it is simply crooked.

I personally would not install handle tilted relativ to the tang. It is s task of the knife maker to design and create a knife such that it is suitable for intended use. When handle is not installed on axis, it is usually safe to assume, that it is simply crooked.
Totally agree with this. If you have to install handle at an angle to tang axis for the knife to be usable something went wrong in the making of the blade/tang itself. The user can ofcourse do whatever he wants to make a knife more comfortable, but that's just means that the knife originally is not the best for this user.

Well to be honest, this is someone with no technical skill trying to communicate an idea from someone with imperfect English. But it's not a question about room for error, I'm asking if someone would intentionally install a wa handle at what appears to be an angle.
What’s your personal viewpoint and opinion?

I read it but my guy seems to be talking about intentionally installing a handle slightly different from the general angle of the tang.
Then ask him to send you a photo of said knife, because your shown example in my opinion, shows the handle in line with the spine, not canted.

Back