Should I buy this high end Sugimoto Cleaver? If so, where from?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there!

I posted before that I'm looking to replace my Shun vegetable cleaver. I love it, but I think it'd like something larger, and made of carbon steel. Just to make sure I'm not crazy for my love of the cleaver as my main knife, I tried some Western style and Japanese pointy things called knives and... nope. Despite using one for years I think I'm a rectangle ex-pat.

Not entirely sure what to buy, but I'm considering this guy. I already bought the CCK big slicer, but am regretting it. Hasn't arrived yet... might return it when it does. It's rather ugly... and unfortunately, I care about such things.

Main questions are, what do we think about this knife, and, if it's a good fit for me, where should I buy it? I'd rather buy it domestically (USA) but that doesn't seem to be an option. I worry about duties and taxes and how I'd pay them and shipping speed and blah blah blah.

Finally, @MowgFace requested that I fill out the questionnaire, so I did that below.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in? Japanese Made Chinese Cleaver

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? My current Shun is 7", I'd like something bigger all around.

Do you require a stainless knife? I'm a slightly nervous about my first carbon steel knife, but I take care of my cast iron and carbon steel pans just fine, so I think I'm good.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? I'm flexible. Willing to shell out hundreds for something that's a joy to use every day. Not interested in wasting money of things that don't matter to me (though aesthetics and craftsmanship DO matter to me). Anything below $1,000 is on the table.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? I'll be using it for (ideally) everything a vegetarian eats.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Shun 7" vegetable cleaver

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? On the Shun, my thumb and index finger choke the blade, everything else wraps around the handle. I assume this could change with a bigger knife.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? Mostly a chop, slightly forward. I do like that the shun lets me rock a little for herbs and the like. If I got a knife with a very flat profile, I'd have to figure out how to get used to that.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? Ideally it would be larger, made of carbon steel that would take on a beautiful patina, and look like something a craftsman made rather than something that was (however exquisitely) mass produced. I worry a little about the weight associated with the bigger blade I want. I don't find my Shun too heavy until I think about it and pick up a really light santoku and think "this is nice!" until I start using it and go back to my cleaver. Not sure how much I'll like something over a pound. Might be just fine! Don't know.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? Yes, though I'm mediocre at it I think.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? I have a few stones... wouldn't mind investing in something else if it was easier or better.

I've read good things on the forum about Tony Laseur's Chinese-style knives.

If I’m spending 500USD on a knife, it’s going towards a custom.

Use the CCK. If you’re willing to drop cash like that, it’s worth it to keep it as a beater.

Last edited:
Not sure which particular model CCK big slicer you got, but I recommend also try the CCK 1303 or 1302. 1302 is a pretty good all around size, and still very lightweight. 1303 is probably easier to find online.

For a smaller stainless version, check out K&S
https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...ainless-steel-large-nakiri-chuka-190mm-cm4030
If I’m spending 500USD on a knife, it’s going towards a custom.

Use the CCK. If you’re willing to drop d CD ash like that, it’s worth it to keep it as a beater.
Agree 100%. $500 is a decent amount for a cleaver. Not sure what steel is used in the sugimoto knives, but for around that price if you know what you like, you can pick the steel, and spec something out exactly as you want it.

Not sure which particular model CCK big slicer you got, but I recommend also try the CCK 1303 or 1302. 1302 is a pretty good all around size, and still very lightweight. 1303 is probably easier to find online.

For a smaller stainless version, check out K&S
https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...ainless-steel-large-nakiri-chuka-190mm-cm4030
Agree 100%. $500 is a decent amount for a cleaver. Not sure what steel is used in the sugimoto knives, but for around that price if you know what you like, you can pick the steel, and spec something out exactly as you want it.
KnS Aus list them as White 2
https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...inese-cleaver-6-4006-slicer-white-2-full-size

I have a Sugimoto #6 and I like it. Sugimoto will not tell you the exact steel they use, but a couple retailers list it as White 2 and in using mine a good amount, I can say it behaves like White 2. It’s fairly curved like your Shun vegetable cleaver so you can rock with it. Although I think it looks a bit nicer than the CCK big slicer, I don’t think the Sugimoto is winning any beauty contests if that’s important to you.

The Sugimoto SF4030 and Sugimoto #1 are smaller and lighter than the #6, but with the same carbon steel and good grinds if you don’t want to make the full jump to a #6 cleaver which can be kind of heavy.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...small-chinese-cleaver-with-carbon-steel-bladehttps://www.hocho-knife.com/brands/...iZ7wMzHJFioUzvGcD_zj-Bo_1tht7C6xoCCNQQAvD_BwE
The Sugimoto OMS has an upgraded handle, better fit and finish and overall aesthetics. More of a “handmade” feel. I think it also comes with a leather sheath which looks pretty cool. Pricier, but you get what you pay for.

Some like cleavers to be straight, this one is slightly curved. Probably easier as a first one. May be useful to find out whether a cleaver is something for you, before getting a much more expensive Sugimoto. Decently made, carefully ground, excellent steel.
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/products/suien-vc-chinese-cleaverhttps://japanesechefsknife.com/products/suien-virgin-carbon-steel-chinese-cleaver
I’m surprised there’s a Suien cleaver in stock at JKI. I think someone asked Koki at JCK a while back and he said the craftsmen who made the cleaver retired, but they were trying to continue production somehow. Hopefully, they found someone to take up the mantle.

Not entirely sure what to buy, but I'm considering this guy. I already bought the CCK big slicer, but am regretting it. Hasn't arrived yet... might return it when it does. It's rather ugly... and unfortunately, I care about such things.
There is no such thing as an ugly CCK cleaver. They’re tools. I’ve tried many cleavers, among them a Sugimoto #6, I’ve sold them and kept my CCK… Why? It is light, it does what it’s supposed to do, and it’s cheap. Love it!

Does your CCK have a freaking QR code on the side of it? Because those are ugly.

Latest posts

Back