Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Henry Hyde chinese chef, just arrived today pretty excited to try it out.

knifechoil.jpg
knifeside1.jpg
knifeside2.jpg

This one from Jonas arrived today
Isasmedjan
210 Gyuto
Inhouse forged sanmai construction.
52100 core heattreated to 63-64hrc.
Mild steel cladding.
Etched finish.
Measurements:
Blade length 213mm
Height at heel 52mm
Thickness of spine
3,3mm out of handle
~1,9mm at middle
~1,0mm at approx. 2cm from the tip
Weight 165 gram

Handle is made of burned Oak.
Jonasgyuto2.jpeg
Jonasgyuto7.jpeg

New Mazaki 240 from K&S came in...and I straight up didn't like it! Distal taper/tip wasn't as thin as I was expecting, it came with a pretty bad OOB edge, and really sucked on medium sized carrots (only thing I cut for patina-less purposes) I pondered sending it back for a few hours before saying what the hell, I'll sharpen it and see how things go. Still felt disappointing, but I was committed at this point since I couldn't return anymore and decided to thin it...my first attempt at thinning on my brand new, most expensive knife. No pressure right?

New OOB:
View attachment 214029
View attachment 214030

So I cracked a bottle of wine, grabbed all my stones, put on an audiobook, and got to rubbin. Here's a pic at about 3 am with my loyal hound, who refused to go to bed until I quit
View attachment 214031

I used a mix of Shapton Pro 320, an old Shun 1k/3k soaker stone, Shapton Glass 1k, and Naniwa Chosera 3k+nagura stone. The soaker stone actually did the best job of bringing back the contrast between cladding and core steel, but it's so dished from pocket knife usage that it wasn't worth sticking to. Came back this morning for final touch ups on Shapton 320 and the Naniwa 3k. I'm pretty happy with how it came out, still meh on carrots though significantly better, but it's a absolute rockstar on potatoes and soft stuff. Fell right through with no stiction or movement from potato whatsoever; genuinely the best I've tried. I spent most of my time on the front half of the blade since I wasn't concerned about the beefy heel, so choil doesn't show much change. I really do like the large flat spot of the knife, it's a nice contrast to flowy, slicey, rock-happiness of my Munetoshi or Makoto gyutos.

Final:
View attachment 214049
View attachment 214050

Not bad for a first timer! Glad I didn't ruin it.
Shinogi looks pretty good! Thinning is a long job but so satisfying when you see the results...

Milan chef knife from last weeks drop. This may be my favorite Milan yet… First western handle from him and it’s fantastic. If you got a custom coming up consider going western

View attachment 214463

Very jealous of this one. His mild steel is oodles of fun to play with on polishing too. So much subtle figure

After a trip across the ocean only to arrive on the first week of a three week work trip I was finally able to get my hands on my newest tf addition today! Many thanks to @miggus for being so good to work with! Looking forward to putting an edge on this and trying it out to see what I do and dont like aswell as deciding whether or keep the rough look or try refinishing the whole blade! Also while I was out of town there was a knifewear in the city i was in so whale knife. Cause why not!
0C7FA1B4-A724-4513-B8DC-4552308B0010.jpeg
52A0FCB4-E1E9-481D-8F89-F96EF17309C4.jpeg

After a trip across the ocean only to arrive on the first week of a three week work trip I was finally able to get my hands on my newest tf addition today! Many thanks to @miggus for being so good to work with! Looking forward to putting an edge on this and trying it out to see what I do and dont like aswell as deciding whether or keep the rough look or try refinishing the whole blade! Also while I was out of town there was a knifewear in the city i was in so whale knife. Cause why not!View attachment 214508View attachment 214507
Didn't know scratch finish was a thing LOL

Didn't know scratch finish was a thing LOL
As of now the plan is to clean up the bevels and leave the ku finish
That said I do own a 210 mabs that another member previously did a full Kasumi style finish on that I may try and emulate on this knife, first order of buisness is getting it working how I like then I’ll worry about what it looks like
0410F6F0-63A2-45F9-B0FB-1FFF309540BE.jpeg

So much for a self imposed ban on knife purchases says everyone on here🙃🤷‍♂️. Kidding aside, that is a nice looking Nakiri. Thats from Knot in UK? Is it a custom?

Yeah, I was not at all disciplined about that one. But, the wife was actually really interested in this one. So, I mean, how can you turn down that opportunity right? 😁

It is indeed from Michael Knot in the UK. Just his own creation that he posted, I saw, wife liked, I violated my knife buying ban. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I was not at all disciplined about that one. But, the wife was actually really interested in this one. So, I mean, how can you turn that opportunity right? 😁

It is indeed from Michael Knot in the UK. Just his own creation that he posted, I saw, wife liked, I violated my knife buying ban. :)
You can’t.😂 None of us can🤷‍♂️. Nice purchase.

I could write a book on violating self imposed knife buying bans. Bringing the growth of my knife collection is probably the only (best?) reason to start living with my current wife again. Hmmmm … maybe I’ll just work a little harder on reducing my knife purchases.

What's the plan for this one?
It's gonna depend on how capable my tools are. Will have to test and see what my options are. The knife itself seems to still have plenty of life remaining, and doesn't appear to be abused. So there's definitely potential here.

This just arrived in the post from the most excellent Michael @ Knife Japan ‐ fine Japanese knives, great service, free shipping.

I picked up the santuko and nakiri via auctions last year and this is a nice addition to those. I know there are some Mikami fans here - it feels as good as it looks. I include some back-story for those interested.

He never signed his blades, only the handles.

Attachments

• IMG_0896.jpeg
    IMG_0896.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0897.jpeg
    IMG_0897.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0898.jpeg
    IMG_0898.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 20.14.12.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 20.14.12.png