Thanksgiving Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Reaction score
Thus far, I have used my Harner parer to assemble apple pie filling, my Halcyon Forge petty to break down the butter and shortening for the crust, my Xerxes gyuto to cube sweet potatoes for a second pie, my Marko to dice onions, and my Haburn to prep butternut squash for soup. What knives are you thankfully employing for your holiday meals?

ch_br

Careful man, there's a beverage here...
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thus far, I have used my Harner parer to assemble apple pie filling, my Halcyon Forge petty to break down the butter and shortening for the crust, my Xerxes gyuto to cube sweet potatoes for a second pie, my Marko to dice onions, and my Haburn to prep butternut squash for soup. What knives are you thankfully employing for your holiday meals?
Pics, or it didn't happen 🤣🤣

gentiscid

Reaction score
You take you entire collection out for 3-4 dishes? Max I take out is a gyuto and a petty…

Reaction score
PXL_20221124_210355166.jpg

HVB and MM - veg prep for stuffing and shaved brussels sprouts.
CCK - more veg prep for gravy
Prendergast - mincing garlic and herbs
Cheapo boning knife - spatchcocking turkey (along with shears)

Oh and I think I used my FKM to slice an orange for cranberry sauce.

Reaction score
No pics cuz too full:
Kanehide honesuki to split a couple chickens for extra food
(Turkey is whole)
Toyama nakiri to slice broccoli for roasting
Wifey Sukenari zdp santoku to cut Brussels sprouts and stuff
Sukenari hap40 gyuto to cut croutons for stuffing (scratch bread). Was grateful for the ebony handle when the knife fell handle first to the floor.
Anmon suji to slice turkey. Got some blue patina out of it

Last edited:
Reaction score
You take you entire collection out for 3-4 dishes? Max I take out is a gyuto and a petty…
Who said anything about “entire collection?” :cool:

I later used a Tilman Leder to break down onions for stuffing, a Lisch for the bread, a BB parer for the apples in my cranberry crumble, and an HHH petty suji for slicing the turkey.

So what knives do use for leftovers? :laughingchef:

Reaction score
I didn't use much of anything except my trusty Kanehide 240. My team was making family sized sides anyway so I just bought them from myself. But I got asked to carve the turkey at a couple different festivities and decided I needed something special to have for the next time that happens. I have a yanagiba and couple of beautiful Ashi Ginga sujihikis. But they aren't really right for boning and slicing a big bird. I could use a gyuto. But seems a little crude to me. I have a nice selection of old American carbon butcher knives, but nothing with the right profile and length. I could get a garasuki or a custom made but I don't really want to commit a significant amount of the knife budget to a knife I use a few times a year at best. So I decided to to hop on ebay and see if I could find a project knife to work on for next year's holidays. And the old gal never disappoints. It's not in my hands yet. But here's one of the eBay photos. The Thanksgiving knife for next year. $25.

Screenshot_20221126-085651.png

Jovidah

Vocal amateur
Reaction score
We don't really do thanksgiving here, but for christmas dinners and other situations where I bring my own knife I actually gravitate towards the more mundane stuff. My Carbonexts, a cheap Fujiwara sujihiki, my Mora filleting knife. All stuff that's perfectly functional, but won't break the bank if it gets damaged, lost, forgotten in a sink, is left wet, or ends up flying through a car in a car crash. Everytime I brought something mroe expensive I found that any increased anxiety from 'I hope my fancy knife doesn't get wrecked' far offset any potential gains I could have from having a better performing knife.

pgugger

Reaction score
I was at my brother’s so I used a couple knives I gave him. Tosa Tadayoshi 270 mm sujihiki to carve/slice turkey. Takamura Migaki 150 mm petty to prepare some fruit

Jeff

Reaction score
Ahhhh - lots used ….

But carved breast w/ electric knife.

Am I banished?